Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

I’ve always wondered

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wordsmyth1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’ve always wondered
    Posted: 2/15/06 at 3:28am
This may sound like a dumb question, but what exactly is involved in organizing a competition.  I mean some things are obvious, but where does one acquire insurance and how much is required.  What are the aproximate costs involved in putting on a weekend...maybe a hard question to answer, but I've always wondered.
MacGregor...despite them
Sgt Jackson, R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt Jackson, R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/06 at 5:36am

If you have a 130 ft by 130 ft leave grass area at your festival, to put on a Heavy Games competition of 5 to 10 events with 6 to 10 athletes, for each day of your festival.

The Judging fee charged should cover use of regulation certified competition throwing weights, hammers and necessary field and safety equipment, the roping off of the competition field (you my wish to check if your beer/event sponsor wishes to display/provide flags on a rope as a promotion), competition equipment and field set up and brake down, registration of athletes, organizing, operating, Judging, score keeping for the competition events,

Sanctioning fee if applicable: $100.00 one day

Judging fee: $300.00 to $400.00 one day

Announcer fee $150.00 to $200.00 one day

Travel: Round trip air fair, mileage or reimbursement by receipt

Accommodations: $ 60.00 to $100.00 per staff member per night or 2 rooms per night of the festival.

Parking and parking pass

Gate pass

Festival Provides:

4 Volunteers per day to assist Judge, mark and shag (retrieve) weights

Event Medals (3 to 6 places by class for 7 events), see below

Over all Competition Awards or Prizes (3 places) for up to  4 classes

Electrical Power

Ice

12 or 16 oz Drink Cups

Sports Drink Powder

Per Registered Athletes receive:

Gate and Parking Passes (2nd Gate Pass, upon request for spouse)

Event T-Shirt

Sound system, with remote head microphone

Athlete tent,

Tables

Large Coolers for Water and or sports drinks, and ice for the athletes.

$10.00 Food Tickets or Lunch is a plus

Beer or Beer Tickets are a plus

Classes of Competitions, Amateur v. Professional and Prizes and Awards for each:

Old School Pro/Open Events Competition:

This is a combination of the two; festival offers cash prizes for 3 to 4 places in each event or for the overall Competition and prizes out to 6 places. I would sagest the later. This will usually bring out at lest 3 local Professional Throwers and the top 3 Amateur Athletes leave with a nice prize. $1,675.00 in total prizes for that day.

Suggested Over all pay out for  Festivals All Comers Men’s Competition:

1st Place         $700.00

2nd Place        $500.00

3rd Place         $300.00

4th Place         $100.00 or prize

5th Place           $50.00 or prize

6th Place          $25.00 or prize

Prizes: Silver, Buckle or Broach, Drinking horn, sword or knife of the same value

Amateur Athlete Event Competitions:

Amateur Athletes (Amateur Men, Masters, Juniors and Women) compete for medals and awards or non cash prizes, depending on your organizations resources, vender contacts or event sponsors. Medals run $3.00 to $5.00 each.

Professional Athlete Events Competitions:

Professional Athletes compete for cash prizes paid out 5 to 10 places in each event contested or for the Overall Competition and at most events get paid travel money. If you wished to Host this type of event, you would be hosting some of the top professional weight throwers in North America and will cost your festival around $5,000.00 to $8,000.00 depending on the number of Professional Athletes / places you are paying out (6 places for 7 events or about $2,400.00 in Total over all cash) prize money for events contested each day, with each competition hosting 5 to 7 events each day.

Sample Pay out for each event, with most Competitions hosting 7 events

1st place $100.00

2nd place  $80.00

3rd place  $60.00

4th place  $40.00

5th place  $30.00

6th place  $20.00

Add to this Professional Athlete Travel, paid out for 6 to 10 athletes averaging $200 to 300 each.

Edited by Sgt Jackson, R.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic