Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Any Clue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celtic-Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Clue
    Posted: 4/28/06 at 3:45pm

So at my last game(Loch Norman) I was told that there is a new way of scoring, in as much as  it is more like golf,low score wins...but yet nasga's over all scores is baist on a high score wins....so will that be fixed or??? Also if someone post a score wrong how would I go about changing it....I have tryed to get aholed of this person but I can't reach him......

thanks alot

-Tim

MacGregor Despite Them!
David Schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/06 at 4:41pm
It can actually be scored either way, and both ways are listed in the NASGA rules section. It can either be 1st place = 1 point, 2nd = 2, etc., or 1st = 9 points (or whatever), 2nd=8, etc.
toddm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toddm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/06 at 6:31am
Tim,

I have seen scoring done an unbelievable number of ways over the 20 years or so I have been involved with the Games.

Whether the overall scoring is done high-score wins or low-score wins, the results should be exactly the same. Low-score wins is hardly new, but has been slow to catch on at the larger Games in the Southeast US. Grandfather Mtn used it for the first time last year.

As the AD at Loch Norman, I elected to change the scoring to simplify the record keeping. Scoring with low-score wins is much simpler to calculate and is also less prone to errors.

Todd

Edited by toddm
Todd McDougal
David Schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/06 at 4:46pm

Decathalon scoring is another way to score, and that is MUCH more complicated.

Celtic-Bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celtic-Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/06 at 3:59pm

Originally posted by toddm toddm wrote:

Tim,

I have seen scoring done an unbelievable number of ways over the 20 years or so I have been involved with the Games.

Whether the overall scoring is done high-score wins or low-score wins, the results should be exactly the same. Low-score wins is hardly new, but has been slow to catch on at the larger Games in the Southeast US. Grandfather Mtn used it for the first time last year.

As the AD at Loch Norman, I elected to change the scoring to simplify the record keeping. Scoring with low-score wins is much simpler to calculate and is also less prone to errors.

Todd

by new I ment new to me,and there are alots of things new to me in this sport,this will only make 3 years for me.....I thank you for fixing the scores!,what I ment on the low score winning as it applies to nasga is that in the over all scores,ie for all scores of B am. is goes by over all points.so if low score wins in a game then on nasga it will look like you lost because on here it is high score wins....did that make any sense?? clear as mud right.

-Tim

MacGregor Despite Them!
wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/06 at 11:01pm
Celtic-bull -

The NASGA database doesn't care what system of scoring is used: decathalon, lowest points wins, highest points wins, highest points (with bonus points for winning an individual event) wins, or whatever else someone has dreamt up.  It doesn't even care whether or if one ever wins any event!  It only looks at how well one throws when compared to everyone else.

"Lowest Points Wins" is the simplest system that I know.  There's no need to convert "place" to "points", or compare competitors' distance to the event record, or have a computer program to help do scores. Hell, there's almost no need for a calculater!!  At the Pacific Northwest Games in Enumclaw, WA, I switched to "Lowest Points" in 1992 and never looked back!!!
"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
Celtic-Bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celtic-Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/06 at 10:21am
I guess I'm just not getting my point across so I will end it with thanks for all the input guys
MacGregor Despite Them!
Marbry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marbry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/06 at 2:18pm

Tim, I think you're confusing the scores from the games with the NASGA rankings.  That's two entirely different things.

The scores from the games apply to the game, the rankings on NASGA are calculated from the actual distance or height you threw compared with the record for that event.  The NASGA rankings are not calculated off the scores from each individual games and thus it is not affected by how individual games are scored.

'They said they'd never seen that kind of power and endurance. My picture is still up above the buffet.'
wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/06 at 5:41pm
What he said!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic