Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

The Maine Games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLEWINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Maine Games
    Posted: 8/26/06 at 1:22am

Good Morning All,

A week ago today was my first Games as AD. What a wonderful opportunity for personal growth it turned out to be. Because of in-house problems I was doing more Games Chairman work then AD stuff and was not prepared well enough. The athletes did cut me some slack and it turned out ok.   Bill Crawford and Dana Florence were a BIG help and I can’t thank them enough. I have about a million questions to post on this site, but I’ll start with just a few.

1. Is there a standard scoring form?

2. Is there a scoring program for my laptop?

3. How do all of you feel about the spin for WOB?

I look forward to hearing back from this site. Take care and pull hard. Bruce

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/06 at 2:27am
There is no standard scoring form, but I'd be glad to send you a Word document with my forms.

There is software for Windows-compatible machines, written by Mike North.  I've seen it in operation, and it's quite impressive.  Lori Henderson knows Mike, and should be able to get you in touch with him.

Allowing the spin, or not, is a matter of the AD's discretion.  You're likely to hear vociferous opinions on both sides.  I personally think that some games should allow the spin and others not, so that both forms will be well represented.  Whatever you do, if someone sets a WR with the spin, say so clearly or you'll never hear the end of it.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:21pm

A nice scoring program on a laptop, hooked up to a big plasma display with up to the instant scoring and placements, would certainly be kick ass.

Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
COLEWINE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLEWINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/06 at 1:18am

That is a great idea! Maybe ...if I can get the money to rent one. Some other ideas people have given me are.

1. Cheerleaders(see below)

2. Everyone in a Kilt

3. Everyone in nothing but a Kilt

4. Start at 8:30 am

5. Get returning players picture and bio's in the program

Thanks for your idea. pull hard

Nigel Light View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/06 at 3:11am

Bruce,

I like idea number 5. Maybe we can get some into next years program.

I also feel very strongly about number 2. Wearing the kilt is a more important piece of equipment than the weights and cabers that get thrown around (in my opinion...but then again I biased about wearing a kilt). I believe it to be important. The problem exists though for newcomers and can you afford spare kilts of various sizes in your budget???

A program in a simple excel spreadsheet will work well for scoring. I was actually (I kid you not!) talking to Sue about that on the way home. I use excel a lot at work. We should talk. Having this would have meant that the guys could have finished off in the main parade ground and awards could have been a lot more public. I believe athletes should be recognized in a big way. A lot less pressure on the AD too to get everything done in time!!!

Regards

Nigel 

It's not over 'till the announcer says!
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/06 at 3:49am
If you saw Mike North's scoring program, you'd want it.  It really reduces the workload for the scorekeeper, and prevents mistakes.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
Snider View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/06 at 3:58am
Bruce,

things that might change for next year.

1) if a athlete has no KILT he doesn't throw. this is the most important rule in my book. things to think about, buy some sport kilts and rent them to the athletes that dont have them. I believe Ft Wayne indiana rent theres for 15 dollars for the day.

2) need to change your WOB/SHEAF standards to a better set up. Also with the standards you have need a tape at the end of the bar. If a change is going to happen do a search on NASGA for standards. Jeff L. had a great set up for under 130.00. which I made as well.

3) scoring was the craziest I seen but we all made it and when it comes to scores athletes dont like when its confusing or has the posssiblity to get messed up.

4) maybe get a bigger field for next year to throw the light/heavy hammer. Again, Lowe's or Home depot have section of fence which make for a prefect hammer cage.

5) DONT CHANGE anything with NIGEL. absolutely awesome. 

6) starting earlier would be great. I didnt get to see an vendors.. but I ususally dont anyways.

7) may even consider moving the event to a different location whereas, the society is losing money by paying a % to Thomas point and Rumor has it she making ALOT of money of it. St. Andrews Society needs to make the money not T.P. just my .02.  It would be better to pay a flat fee.
a) check colleges
b) Air-Base (already paid for the field with our FEDERAL TAX MONEY).

8) you need to purchase a 42# wfd. the athlete that brought it might not make it next year then ur S.O.L.

9) Talk with Subway and other store mechants to get free goodies. and by doing this NIGEL will announce there name over the PA system or give plugs to there business. I get free subs every year at subway and water for a locale Party store. as well domino's pizza gave 8 x-lg pizza for a snack. :)

10) Bruce remember its the athletes that will bring the crowds in NOT THE PIPERS or the DANCERS. Its us!! People enjoy watching us throw large objects So, You might have to step it up as an AD and take the bull by the horn.
Yes, you are alloted so much money for the games. but try and get as much free stuff as possible. goto http://budk.com/Default.asp and start early. get swords for next years games. Get them engraved by a local engraver and place his name on the back of the athletes shirts. local car dealership love CHEAP advertisment. WAL-MART loves to hand money out. So, many roads to take you just have to take a step out side the box.

11) BEER TENT is a MUST!! To much money was lost that day.

12) Guniness another great sponser. they always give FREE T_SHIRTS, HATS, KEY RINGS, FLIP-FLOPS, BOTTLE OPENERS. ALMOST FORGOT...FREE BEER TOO!. (SMITHWICKS, HARPS AND GUNINESS)
to the athlete tent.

13) a Bigger althete tent

14) the message therpist were life savors. next year a must too

15) ZOLKIEWITZ is not allowed to talk to other athletes that have to fly on a plane. NOW, I have to see a
proctologist, Urologist, pyschologist and a biologist and any other "ologist" that might get rid of the CURSE of the ZOLK

Edited by Snider
Snider View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/06 at 5:03am
forgot to add

NO SPIN!!!
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/06 at 2:25pm
I agree about the kilt thing - and you could even make a little scratch by
renting out sportkilts or other brands.

Another thing I think is a good idea is marking out the distances for the
distance events. A nice chalk line every 5 feet or so arcing out in front of
the box will give the crowd the instant feedback they need to see who has
the best throw.

I am not a morning person, so, for me the 8:30 am time is out, plus all
the dew on the grass makes the stone all wet. If you want to speed up
the day, then getting a new wob and sheaf apparatus would help - make
the starting heights relatively high, and make big jumps. 10ft for the wob,
and 18ft for sheaf, with 1ft and 3ft jumps.

While swords are nice, your claret jugs are excellent prizes, and I would
not change them - I have been wanting to win one ever since the first
time I came to these games, and am very proud of mine.

Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
Snider View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/06 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Hapy Hapy wrote:

While swords are nice, your claret jugs are excellent prizes, and I would
not change them - I have been wanting to win one ever since the first
time I came to these games, and am very proud of mine.

dont get me wrong Bruce's claret jugs were awesome.
wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/06 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by COLEWINE COLEWINE wrote:

Is there a scoring program for my laptop?

At least three associations, that I know of, have lap-top programs available.  SAAA, RMSA, and SHA.  At Enunclaw, we inherited a very good one from SHA.  It was created by RAMWrite Consulting.  Check it out!

On the issue of kilts, an easy way to handle it is to just require everyone to wear one with the exception of the Amateur C men!  Gives them a chance to get hooked on the sport before having to make some sort of outlay for gear.
"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
COLEWINE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLEWINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/06 at 2:08am

I did notice the day of the Games that you thought jugs were awesome, Chris!  Anyway, We had our post Game meeting yesterday and the result was great. We had 5300ish people there and MADE REAL money this year after losing $28,000 in the last two years. (remember the rain?) This was a make or break year here in Maine.  I was appointed Games Chair yesterday and that’s puts me in a great position to make changes to how the Games are run. The person I have picked to be AD is young and very bright. He believes as I do that the Athletics are the heart and soul of the Games. He and I learned so much this year. Ken will worry about how things are run and I will worry about how to get the money and support he needs. I make mistakes, but never the same ones twice. On another note. I have a great video of Don’s  WR and will bring copies to Loon if people want one. It is just like out of a movie. People cheering him on and then going silent as he goes for it. Then erupting in cheers and coming to their feet as he himself jumps into the air in excitement at the world record.(GOOD STUFF). Please keep the advice coming. Some we’ll use and some we won’t but will listen to everything. Take care and pull hard. (and by the way Chris, reading the saying at the bottom of your posts makes me wonder, how did you know my mother?)

Snider View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/06 at 3:52am

by the way Chris, reading the saying at the bottom of your posts makes me wonder, how did you know my mother?)

LOL. you are the first one to question my gaelic writing styles.

now I will change it :)
Snider View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/06 at 3:53am
how you like this one?
COLEWINE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLEWINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/06 at 5:11am

Good Morning,

For the record, my mother wore glasses. Are you going to be at Loon? Take care.

Snider View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/06 at 5:22am

Good Morning,

For the record, my mother wore glasses. Are you going to be at Loon? Take care.

No loon lake here... would be nice but decided to hang it up for the year and spend that time training for next year... Drills...drills....drills...
thinking of flying out to Vierra's for a week for some more training
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic