Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Shoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =Travis= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoes
    Posted: 3/20/07 at 8:16am

What are everyone's preferences as far as shoes for competition? I've noticed in reading some materials/posts that people use cleats while some use turf cleats. Which is better for highland games?

Also, there is alot of talk about the Tanels. Are the Tanels really that good? Worth buying? Are they really less stress on the knee? (I've had one knee surgery thus far)

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

DarlinMACE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/07 at 8:20am
Live, Love and Leave YOUR Mark!

"Kate Grammer"
weaselking View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/07 at 8:40am
I like my Tanels for soggier ground, and my indoor soccer shoes for dry ground.
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/07 at 8:40am
I got those, I like 'em.  I have some football cleats for when it's sloppy muddy for the caber, but the Tanels are just enough grab in the grass with the turf cleats.  I suppose any turf cleat would work, but I've been happy with my Tanels.  I think most full cleats are too long to rotate in and that's why I only use mine for the caber and only when it's muddy. 
Thom Van Vleck
Brent Abbott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Abbott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/07 at 8:53am
flat bottom tennis shoes for everything but caber and hammer. For caber and hammer i use a mild softball cleat. inclimate weather could change those choices. I won Loosle's keg and tire toss on wet grass in kilty-tassle boat shoes.
houseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/07 at 11:21am
Originally posted by DarlinMACE DarlinMACE wrote:

http://www.tanel360.com/ordering/index.cfm?action1=Prod& action2=Details&prod_id=118&prod_cat_id=2&prod_w omens_flag=0&prod_mens_flag=1

My favorite!.

But it's all a matter of preference.

Thanks for the link, Kate.  I generally wear a men's 10.5 athletic shoe... order the same size for a Tanel???

=Travis= View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =Travis= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/07 at 6:43am

Houseman,

"PLEASE NOTE: THE RPM LITE TURF RUNS 1/2 SIZE SMALL, ORDER UP 1/2 SZ FROM YOUR NORMAL SHOE SIZE FOR PROPER FIT."

From: http://www.tanel360.com/ordering/index.cfm?action1=Prod& action2=Details&prod_id=115&prod_cat_id=2&prod_w omens_flag=0&prod_mens_flag=1

I'm thinking of getting these as well.

DarlinMACE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/07 at 7:13am
Originally posted by houseman houseman wrote:

http://www.tanel360.com/ordering/index.cfm?action1=Prod& action2=Details&prod_id=118&prod_cat_id=2&prod_w omens_flag=0&prod_mens_flag=1

My favorite!.

Thanks for the link, Kate.  I generally wear a men's 10.5 athletic shoe... order the same size for a Tanel???

I wear the same size in men's that I normally do, and they're really comfortable!.

I don't think you need to size up.

Live, Love and Leave YOUR Mark!

"Kate Grammer"
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/07 at 9:03am

My favorite!.

Cool. I just ordered mine. Maybe I will not spin around so much with the hammer. I was told that until I get some more experience just stick with cleats/turf shoes for now. These seem ok.

Thanks!

Leroy

Leroy McDonough
The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/07 at 9:08am
turf cleats, i'm all out of ACL'S, but i may try the tanels for inclimate weather!!
Ed Schultz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/07 at 9:11am
I love my Tanel 360's.  I still can't throw for $hit, but it's not the shoes fault!  No knee, ankel, or foot problems with the Tanels and when you're my age you really appreciate the all-day comfort.

Edited by Ed Schultz
=Travis= View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =Travis= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/07 at 10:02am
I ordered the 360s and they run small.
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/07 at 10:14am

I ordered them a full size larger. To account for the size difference, and the socks that I wear are thick.

Leroy McDonough
sqeezemaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sqeezemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/07 at 1:36pm
For those who have the Tanel's, how wide are they? I've got freaky wide feet, and wonder how many sizes up I'd need to go.
Fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/07 at 4:38pm
I wear an h width, and have inquired they dont make wides right now.
meat View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '07-'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/07 at 11:50pm

I have a pair of Tanels....nothing super special...A good turf cleat will do just fine.

I would stay away from anything with too much of a spike(football cleat). Can't turn for crap.

Let'em Fly, Brother!-The Polish Prince

http://www.newenglandstrength.com/

Lyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/07 at 1:28am
MacD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/07 at 5:30am
football cleats for good weather, Vans for sloshy muddy weather.  :P
Josh K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/07 at 11:29am
Does anyone have any Canadian Contact information for Tanels.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic