Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Database
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Thoughts on the database ranking system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on the database ranking system
    Posted: 7/12/07 at 7:12am
"If I had my way" - understanding that I don't know the capabilities of the database, Kurt has a family and life, and I'm not the one doing the work - here is how it would work:

• The system would pick each athlete's 3 best scores from each event and display the average of those three scores.  If an athlete doesn't have 3 scores for an event, then it isn't used.
  • The average 3 best event scores system would be based on a rolling 12 month period so that you don't have to wait the first 6 months each year to see who really are the best throwers.  It also helps guys who have to take some time off at the beginning of the season due to injury.
  • The NASGA ranking is calculated similarly to how it is done now, except the three event average is used to derive each component.  If an athlete is missing one of the possible events (sheaf or braemar stone for example), the NASGA score is calculated based upon the maximum points for the events that have 3 score average available.
To me this would give us the best of all world's:
  1. An increased consistency due to using three event scores instead of one for ranking.
  2. A realistic and ongoing ranking system that doesn't have to reset and repopulate over time at the beginning of each year.
  3. An overall ability score that does not punish athlete's who don't have certain events contested in their area.
  4. A visual reference of what kind of throws put a guy a the top...which may be the most important thing to us meatheads!

Edited by Mike Wills
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic