Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Source for Sheafs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanwern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Source for Sheafs
    Posted: 2/27/08 at 11:47am

I am an AD in a small games in NW Oregon. We are trying to find a source for buying sheafs.

Anyone have any good suppliers of sheafs and how do they hold up?

Alan Wernsing
Athena Scottish Games
Athena, OR
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/08 at 12:20pm

Jason Clevenger
NASGA username: JCLEV
The link will get you info on his sheaf: http://northcentralheavies.com/equipment.htm  

Merl Lawless
NASGA username: Mclawless
http://www.ancientathletics.com

I can not speak for Merl but I know he is always awfully busy at this time of year with his real job. So I am not sure if he has the time to put one together. 

I have thrown bags made by both and they both make excellent bags - well put together, durable and flyers. 

At my Games, I have a couple Troy Fowler Sheafs (but he is not making them at the moment) and a Jason Clevenger Sheaf. 

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Hatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/08 at 4:40pm
I have started making New sheafs. These are stuffed with cut shards of Polypropolene Fibers. They are waterproof and water resistant. My sheafs are triple bagged and triple stiched with heavy duty apholstery thread. These New sheafs feel like Manilla and Hemp, but hold no dew, or moisture. Cost $40.00
"My name is Rob Hatch, you killed my father, prepare to die..."
Rachelle Wiley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachelle Wiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/08 at 12:24pm

I've made a couple of sheafs myself and I must say they turned out pretty good with one exception.  The burlap keeps ripping.  Is there a special kind of burlap that I should be using?  I don't want to keep sewing on a new bag each year; my fingers are quite sore for days after mending the bags.

Rachelle

wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/08 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Rachelle Wiley Rachelle Wiley wrote:

Is there a special kind of burlap that I should be using?

l recommend using coffee bags.  The burlap is much more heavy duty.
"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
Rachelle Wiley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachelle Wiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/08 at 3:59am

Wally,

Point me in the right direction.  Where do I get them?  Also, thanks so much for updating our games.  I really do appreciate the extra help.

Rachelle

wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/08 at 12:16pm

Where do I get them?

lsn't there any place around you that roasts coffee?  Maybe in the Tri-Cities area?  lf not, contact me before the next time that you come to Seattle and l'll hook you up.  Also, l'm sure that farm supply places around you must sell heavy duty sacks or burlap by the roll.  At the last resort, check out fabric stores.  They sell burlap in various weights (and some very interesting colors!!!)
"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
JohnnieStone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnieStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/08 at 5:22pm
Hatch, how do we get ahold of you???????
thanks Johnnie
Sugar Britches View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar Britches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/08 at 7:15am

Originally posted by wallyworld wallyworld wrote:

Is there a special kind of burlap that I should be using?

l recommend using coffee bags.  The burlap is much more heavy duty.

Rich McClain was out at Southern Maryland this weekend with a  bunch of coffee bags.  He gets them from a local coffee house that lets him take as many as he wants.  He is on the MASA board www.heavyevents.com on a regular basis.  Perhaps he can help?

Alex

"We must become the change we want to see" Gandhi
Mike Wills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/08 at 10:16am
I've heard folks say that Costco is the best place to get the heavy coffee burlap bags...you may have to ask around regarding when they come in and be a little patient.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic