Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Interview with A. Bondarchuk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with A. Bondarchuk
    Posted: 4/02/08 at 12:04pm

This interview is certainly worth reading in full, but for those who are time-constrained or have limited attention spans, I have excerpted several of the key, general points from the interview for your convenience.

- The athlete does not need maximal strength but special dynamic strength. Special strength is much more important and has a much higher rate of transfer into the specific throw.

- The thrower must use and have explosive muscle, not maximum strength.

- Benching 150k [very fast] is much better than benching 250k [very slowly]. Slow, maximal training has virtually no transfer to the throw.

- At the average level, every exercise is good. [At more advanced levels], the exercises and transfer need to have a much higher correlation.

- It is better to throw like a Ferrari than a tractor.

- It is about special strength and technique, less about maximum strength and more about explosive strength and technique ... for example, Alexeev had a 240k press and a massive clean and snatch and a huge full squat but he only had a 16.50[m] shot put, other top superheavyweights like Taranenko only threw 14 meters in the shot.

REFLECTIONS OF A MASTER: 

AN INTERVIEW WITH DR. ANATOLY BONDARCHUK

By Dane Miller

The author is an American shot putter training with Anatoly Bondarchuk in Kamloops, British Columbia Canada. He sat down with his coach over a period of weeks in the winter of 2008 and crafted this superb question and answer format interview with the throwing legend. Forward by Derek Evely, Canadian Athletics Coaching Centre. Reprinted with permission from the author.

FORWARD

I suspect that this interview is going to stir up a few opinions regarding throwing training in North America. Great, we need the discussion. That being said, Dane Miller - an American - has done what I believe to be the best job I have seen at getting to the core of Dr. Bondarchuk's beliefs and opinions surrounding throwing training ... hands down. This, in combination with the videos that will be appearing on our site in April of 2008 and Dr. Bondarchuk's books on training transfer, provide the best information ever available in the west on Dr. Bondarchuk's theory and methodology of training. Enjoy.

INTERVIEW

What was a crucial aspect of training as an athlete that you were able to implement into your system of training?

Bondarchuk: As an athlete I knew everything could change and for proper progression, things needed to change. I knew the system of training had to change and the technique itself had to change. As an athlete I realized over time, the technique and system needed progression. Average athletes in 1972 had no acceleration with the hammer. Maybe this was because they had no special strength for the hammer. From 1970-1976, I believed the athlete (me specifically) needed to train maximal strength. After this, I recognized the athlete only needed a base foundation of strength. Before I thought athletes would need a 300k full squat for 80-84 meters, now I know that they only need 200-250k quarter squat. Before, I thought athletes needed a 150k+ snatch for 80-84 meters, now I know they only need to snatch their bodyweight for this throw. Before I thought the athlete needed a 3.50 standing long, now they only need a 3.00 -3.15 meter long. This is because the specific throwing training has progressed over 30 years. Now, I realize that the athlete does not need maximal strength but special dynamic strength. Special strength is much more important and has a much higher rate of transfer into the specific throw. In the 1960's, I had a friend that squatted 320k, cleaned 200k, had a fast 100m but only threw 17.20 in the shot put. Later I realized that the maximal strength training does not have a high rate of transfer and my friend was one of many examples for this.

What do you find is the most important aspect of throwing?

Bondarchuk: The thrower must use and have explosive muscle, not maximum strength. Nelson has amazing explosive muscle, then Hoffa, they both need this muscle because they are smaller and usually smaller athletes have more explosive muscle when compared with taller athletes. Hoffa and Nelson have better muscle than Cantwell but Cantwell also has good muscle for how tall he is. It is very rare to find a taller athlete with very explosive muscle. There are many, many programs of training. Some coaches have athletes throw heavy, some throw light and some just competition weights and some throw all weights. If the athlete needs strength, they may throw heavy and give more volume. If the athlete needs explosive muscle, give them light weights. There are many exercises and programs to help with these problems.

How much time should an athlete spend throwing/lifting/special strength?

Bondarchuk: Percentages change with each thrower. Some athletes need technique, some speed, some strength. It all depends on the athlete. Strength does not help develop speed and speed does not help develop strength. I have been coaching Dylan (Armstrong) for two and a half years and he needs 70% technique and 30% special strength. He has plenty of natural strength but some throwers may not have this strength. It also goes back to special strength and speed. A 21 meter throw is achieved at about 14 meters/second and a 22 meter throw is achieved at 14-15 meter/second (rough estimates). The closer you train to this, the better. Benching 150k at 8-10meter/second is much better than benching 250k at 1-2 meter/second. Slow, maximal training has virtually no transfer to the throw.

At what point should a shot/disc/hammer athlete stop training maximum strength?

Bondarchuk: A good measure for shot and discus is around a 160k bench, 200k squat, and 150k clean. The discus throwers could incline a bit more for development of the shoulders. At the average level, every exercise is good. Once the shot putter hits 19, 20, 22, the exercises and transfer need to have a much higher correlation.

What is the major problem with US hammer throwing or US throwing in general?

Bondarchuk: The system of technique and strength has not changed in hammer, discus or shot for 20-30 years. In 1972 my technique was as good or better than some top US hammer throwers today. That was 36 years ago, this should not be the case. The US is always thinking about maximum strength. Until the US realizes the research of special and dynamic strength, there will be minimal hammer throwers over 80 meters. After 1975 in Europe the average athlete no longer used a full squat, only quarter squats, step ups and jump squats. Maybe the US is too influenced by bodybuilding and power lifting which takes their focus away from special strength. The US has not progressed technically in 40-50 years with the hammer. There has been very little progress since Hal Connolly, outside of maybe Deal but even Deal did not have near the technique he could have achieved. Deal's technique was 50/50, he did not push the ball but he also did not pull the ball.

Do you feel 80 meters is attainable for a female hammer thrower?

Bondarchuk: Sure, no problem with a good system of training. Females may throw as far as males. Why not? The weight is only 4 kilo, this is nothing for a female.

Who do you feel has had a good understanding of the hammer system since Sedych and Litvinov?

Bondarchuk : All of the Soviet countries have a decent understanding of the hammer system. Yes, they can fix technical aspects but they understand the importance of special strength. Gescek had very good technique. If the US does not change their mind in regards to training, they will never beat Belarus, Ukraine, Russia and most of Europe in the hammer.

In the United States most hammer coaches teach the technique by pushing with their entire body. Meanwhile, you train the hammer thrower to push the ball well past the left leg and never really thinking about the feet. What is the advantage of this technical training?

Bondarchuk: It is more important to push the ball and the push comes from the upper body. If the athlete thinks about their feet first, they will lose connection with the push and may start to pull on the ball. The athlete needs to be patient in double support, the longer the support, the better. The thrower needs to work the push and then the feet will follow. The push comes from the hands, not from the legs, feet or hips. (Dr. B compares pushing the hammer with doing a plate twist with stationary feet.)

Why is the US discus not as strong as the US shot putters?

Bondarchuk: The US has been weak in the discus for the past 20-30 years. The US discus technique has not changed and the system of training has not changed. Since Al Oerter, no one has had a good final position. Al Oerter had one of the best final positions into a transfer of all time, since Oerter virtually no one has a good final position. Wilkins has a good final, that is it. Now discus throwers from the US jump in their final position as soon as the front leg touches. This final position is geared more for high jump than it is for discus.

Why has the US had such success with the shot and not the hammer?

Bondarchuk: The US shot putters all have excellent transfers with their technique. Nelson, Hoffa and Cantwell all have excellent transfers at the front of the circle. They all have great explosive muscle. Plus the US has countless talented athletes to train for the shot put. Everyone talks about maximum strength but no one keeps their eyes open to these athletes and their explosive muscle. Special strength will tremendously improve the average US shot putter.

So you are saying that if the average US shot putter trained special strength, the average distance would indeed go up?

Bondarchuk: Yes, yes. Take a tractor engine vs. a Ferrari. Some athletes have the motor of a Ferrari, others have the motor of a tractor. The athlete must train special strength like a Ferrari, the athlete cannot focus on having good special and good max strength. The athlete must train like a Ferrari and for the shot, it is better to throw like a Ferrari than a tractor.

In the United States, most coaches focus on turning the right leg and jumping up off the right when teaching the rotational shot and discus technique. You teach a bit differently where inertia keeps the right foot moving, the weight is transferred from a bent right onto a bent left at the front of the circle. Can you explain the difference in this technique?

Bondarchuk: It is impossible to stay on the right leg and turn. Biomechanics will let the right foot turn from inertia out of the back. There is no need to think about turning that foot. Look at sequences of Baryshnikov, Schmidt, Wilkins (1976 Olympics) and even some top throwers today. Their middle foot pauses for a brief second because they are not thinking about constantly turning the foot. The athlete needs to think about the legs as one system. There is no need to think of the foot or the knee or the hips, the leg works as an entire system together. Think about the transfer on a bent left leg at the front (right handed throwers). Look at Gunthor, Timmerman, Baryshnikov, Nelson, these throwers all have excellent systems of transfer at the front of the circle.

What weights do you recommend using in an entire training system for men's shot/discus/hammer?

Bondarchuk: Shot and Hammer: 5k all the way to 10k, sometimes you may use a 12k from standing depending on the strength of the athlete. (Interviewers note: Anytime shot putters throw over the 8k, Dr. B has his athletes throw with a special made glove for protection.) Discus: 1.5k-3k, sometimes even up to 6k shots for stands

How about women's weights for shot/disc/hammer?

„h Shot: 3k - 6k and sometimes 7k for stands

„h Hammer: 3k - 7k

„h Discus: 700 gram - 2k

A lot of coaches discuss the types of athletes that they train. You have concluded that there are 3 types of athletes with a possible fourth. Can you explain?

Bondarchuk: Yes, there are three athletes and an occasional fourth. This is not the key however. The key to coaching is finding a type of system that best fits each individual athlete. Each athlete is different with how their body reacts, just like each athlete looks different, walks different and has different personalities.

How many times a year can a good coach peak their athletes?

Bondarchuk: Some athletes have a short peak condition, some have long peak conditions. Some athletes may achieve 3 in a good system and some may achieve 4 in a good system. It all depends on the individual.

What do you do as a coach when you encounter an athlete that is no longer progressing in your system?

Bondarchuk: Some athletes have incredible talent in the beginning and some have a very good ability to develop strength and speed. Some athletes might not have the same ability to continue to grow because of genetics, they might put in a lot of energy but their result may still not grow. Some athletes might grow a lot in another system. Tamm and Sedych always grew. They were the special athletes that continued to progress over time, some others grow and grow and grow but then their body makes a defense and they can no longer grow.

How can the US university system fix the underdeveloped high school athletes in regards to hammer and even shot put and discus?

Bondarchuk: The Soviets started throwing around 13-14 years of age. They did not throw three implements. If you threw discus, you only threw discus and this was the same with every implement. Sometimes the athletes would throw shot and discus if they were rotational. In the US athletes throw shot, disc and hammer and they are also students. This is difficult. It is ok to throw disc and shot if you are a rotational shot putter, otherwise the athletes should attempt to focus on one event. The other problem with the US university system is the weight throw. The best way to throw the weight is by pulling the weight. It is impossible to push the weight because it is too short. The idea behind the weight is different when compared with the technical idea behind the hammer and this creates more technical difficulties with the athlete.

What is the problem with the US javelin? Why have there not been as many top notch javelin throwers, outside of Greer?

Bondarchuk: The problem is similar to the hammer. There is no good technique and this is the same with discus. Max strength, max strength is what the US always thinks of. A good lifting system is completely different from a good throwing program.

What will it take for North America to catch and compete with the top athletes in disc, hammer and javelin?

Bondarchuk: The US needs to change their mind and listen. It is about special strength and technique, they should think less about maximum strength and more about explosive strength and technique. Strength is a simple idea but in practice with throwing, it creates a bigger problem. Take my friend Alexeev for example. He had a 240k press and a massive clean and snatch and a huge full squat but he only had a 16.50 shot put, other top superheavyweights like Taranenko only threw 14 meters in the shot. In the US hammer technique is also terrible with about 80-90% of the throwers in the US having bad technique. The shot may be about 50% good technique, discus is nearly 70% bad and this is the same with javelin. Athletes need more full throws and special strength. Some of the athletes are ok with special strength and their technique. Improve these things and the average level of throws will improve. Another problem is that university kids watch the top US hammer throwers and then they continue to throw like them. I just watched the 1988 Olympics and other videos from the late '80's on my computer and 20 years ago, the hammer throwers had better technique than they did this past year in Osaka. This is a problem.

Dane Miller is a native of Reading, Pennsylvania. He is a graduate of the Pennsylvania State University and is currently an athlete learning and training under Dr. Bondarchuk. Feel free to contact him with any questions, comments or concerns at Danemichael.miller@gmail.com .

kover View Drop Down

Top 10 in the USA - '03-'11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/08 at 2:15am
I do agree with special strength and explosive training.  However a hammer thrower is throwing a small wt.  Maximal strength is needed when throwing a big arse 56 pound wt and a tree. He says that strength doesnt develop speed, now i am unsure what he means here.  Speed is simple, the stronger the force you push with against the ground the faster you go, proven fact for sprinters. Now he maybe talking about spinning around in a circle speed which could be a different beast.   Let the debate begin. I am sure Coach Mac will have plenty to add here.  Since this article says US hammer coaches are way behind. 
will barron View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '03, '04, '07, '08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will barron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/08 at 3:18am
I am a little surprised at the maximal strength Bondarchuk suggested as being enough. A 350 bench, under 500 in the squat and just a little over 300 in the clean. Doesn't seem like enough for the big time.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/08 at 3:43am

To sort of echo ko and will a little, im gonna share a secret with everyone.

*whispers*

HIGHLAND GAMES IS NOT TRACK AND FIELD!

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/08 at 3:45am

Will,

I was surprised at these numbers too (352 bench, 440 squat, 330 power clean), which was why I didn't highlight them.  I would note that these are significantly lower than the guideline lifting numbers Bondarchuk has previously indicated would be sufficient to throw the hammer over 80m: 600 Back Squat, 500 Front Squat, 400 Power Clean, and 300 Power Snatch.  I certainly won't defend those lower numbers, particularly for HG Pros, or claim to understand all of Bondarchuk's methodologies, but I would make one observation: Bondarchuk is clearly talking about the minimum strength levels that are necessary for someone with superb throwing technique and very well-developed special strength.  The vast majority of athletes obviously fall short of these ideals, usually far short by Bondarchuk's standards.  Bondarchuk's approach involves performing thousands of repetitions of different throws and drills and very specific exercises over the course of an entire year.  Such a regime might not be possible, practical, or desirable for many athletes. Consequently, most athletes would need to be, and have needed to be, much stronger to throw world-class distances, although there are some examples that indicate this might not be absolutely necessary for everyone. 

Without worrying about specific lifting numbers, off the top of my head you have people like Dean Crouser, Micheal Carter when he was younger, Randy Matson when he was younger, and Edward Sarul in the shot, and in the discus, John Powell when he was older, Tony Washington, not to mention my old training partner Ray Lazdins, who was weaker than any decent thrower I have ever heard of and consistently threw 58-61m in big, drug-tested meets and threw a PR of 65.72m in Salinas in 1991.  Ray was 6'5", extremely fast and explosive, had almost perfect technique, and was definitely lifetime clean (which was very obvious in his case). 

While acknowledging that the discus is certainly more speed-oriented than the Heavy Events, and the shot put somewhat more so, the general logic of Bondarchuk's position is no less valid - everything is just shifted a bit more towards strength than speed.  If limit strength were everything, the powerlifters and strongmen would rule the throwing events, which they obviously do not.  This is not to say that superior limit strength is not helpful, only that after some point that undoubtably varies from one individual to the next, increasing limit strength is a relatively inefficient method of increasing one's throwing results.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Steve D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/08 at 12:52pm

+1 for Craig on HG is not T&F BUT using T&F knowledge and training priciples can certainly help in HG.

Bondarchuk certainly is a great hammer coach and has developed the hammer technique to where it is today. I might add that I have heard that he did back in the day learn a fair amount from Chris Black and spent some time watching and filming Chris while he trained.

He has his opinions on the US coaching and throwers but he does have some good training points. Peter has done a good job of highlighting some of these points. I do think that there is a difference in HG and T&F and how one approaches each event. Bondarchuk speaks specifically to the T&F events and implements which have been pointed out by several people differ from the HG events and implements. This doesn’t mean that what he is saying about strength and explosiveness doesn’t relate well to the HG. I question numbers as they relate to lifts applied to throws. He does point out the big lifters throws but I’m sure they spent more time working on lifting and tech. Then throwing. This would explain their success in the lifting.

His point about athletes:   Bondarchuk: Yes, there are three athletes and an occasional fourth. This is not the key however. The key to coaching is finding a type of system that best fits each individual athlete. Each athlete is different with how their body reacts, just like each athlete looks different, walks different and has different personalities.” This has been said a few times in the forum.

KO… I think he is talking about turning speed and the ability to accelerate the body as well as the implement.

john gallagher View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '02, ’03, ’06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john gallagher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/08 at 2:07pm

The most significant thing I took from the interview was this.  As far as the main example used, the track hammer throw, and how it applies to all throws.  While I agree that the HG are not TF, the biggest thing from the article was that I think Bondarchuk says is that IF the PROPER technique is used (he feels it is not here in the U.S.), your strength levels do not have to be as high as you think.  I see it as if you really push the hammer ball or 56 (Ryan Vierra style?) you need only enough strength to be able to hold position and counter the wt of the implement and enough speed to catch back up to the implement.  In the oly hammer this is very fast, in the 56 it is not as fast but still fast.  The ball or wt moves you instead of you moving it so to speak.  If you are pulling ahead and trying to force the hammer or wt around you, you need to be really really strong and ultimately limited by how hard you can pull or how strong you are.  If we can learn to let the hammer or wt get in front of us and pull us into the next turn or position you are letting the laws of physics do most of the work.  Now your acceleration on the implement become almost limitless or at least to the upper end of the laws of physics.  And....you don't have to be super duper strong to do it.  Dan Lange at USC taught me this in the hammer when I was an 8lb 2oz baby freshmen, John Frazier (UCLA) taught me this in the shot and disc (aka the double pivot or knee turn at the finish).  This is the real "secret" as to why someone has become as great for as long as he has (Vierra) in the games.  He figured this out long long time ago doing drills in our living room in Northridge.  Even in an event like the caber.  If you truely can figure it out and use it as a true lever, the caber does the work, you have to understand timing and be explosive enough to react when it is time to react.  If you hit it too soon or too late you need to be super strong to get that stupid s.o.b to turn over.  Standing wob, if you hit the sweet spot and use angular velocity around the corner between the legs just right, you really don't have to be super strong to stand over 16 to 17'.  If you miss it and pull ahead of the wt with the back, you have to be super strong to get it to go over the bar.  This all makes sense in my head!  So....that is how see this article applied to both TF and the HG. 

MSUM Throws Coach
4 NCAA National Champions
50 NCAA All-Americans
2001 & 2002 World Stone Put Champion

kover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/08 at 2:59pm
I will go for that John. Let the wts work you and all that. However how many under 300 pound squatters have thrown 40+ with the 56.  I have yet to see a weak dude turn a big ole caber  (not a small stick i mean a big ole no tapering haas cat of a stick).  The other thing is I guess I am really dumb compared to track and field guys.  Thank God the good Lord gave me a big ole caboose and a crazy work ethic.
The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/08 at 4:13pm

mike woody won a ton of A class comps beating phil martin, scott biberthaler,bryant harris etc. and i dont think he squatted more than 300lbs. in his life [ he was just wired right] but he was a hell of a technition[?]

[I MISS NORTH DALLAS WOODY]

please keep robbin, the Conway Family and Frank Henry
kover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/08 at 2:25am
I said over 40+  not beating someone who is strong. 
john gallagher View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '02, ’03, ’06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john gallagher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/08 at 3:09am

So here is an interesting question for you guys.  Let's say you have this scenario.  You have a thrower who can squat 600lbs and can move 300lbs at an average velocity of 1/m/s on a tendo unit.  Now you have another thrower who can only squat 450lbs and can move 375lbs at an average velocity of 1/m/s on a tendo unit.  Who has the better chance at throwing farther?  All other things being the same of course (body weight, height, etc...).  The other question from the article was how does one move any weight at 8-10 m/s on a tendo unit?  I can't even move the bar at that speed.  1-2 m/s on the tendo is super fast already.  Not sure how Bondarchuk gets that speed or how he is measuring that speed. 

Gallagher

MSUM Throws Coach
4 NCAA National Champions
50 NCAA All-Americans
2001 & 2002 World Stone Put Champion

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/08 at 5:29am

John,

I would have to say that in your scenerio, as you have laid it out, the thrower who can lift more weight at speed should have a clear advantage, since, in Bondarchuk's terms, a lift done in this manner is going to have a higher rate of transfer into the specific throw then a heavier lift done very slowly.  If you can squat a great weight but lift 50% of your max at the same speed as you lift 100%, your 1RM is not that relevant to your throwing.

With respect to the velocity figures used by Bondarchuk in this interview, I would strongly assume that he was just making up numbers for the sake of illustration without regard to their accuracy.  As you say, 2 m/s would be very fast for a bench press, while a slow, grinding bench press would likely be done at a rate closer to 0.25-0.5 m/s.  The 8-10 m/s quoted is not a realistic lifting velocity but a throwing velocity.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/08 at 6:16am

I remember Dave MacKenzie telling us at Fresno one year that he probabaly could not have squatted 400 when he threw the American record in the olympic hammer.

Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/08 at 7:15am
Dave Barron has thrown over 40 without the ability to sqwat 300.
Donate lately?
Steve D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/08 at 7:28am

John... your post on the article and observations are excellent.

Hold the middle in any throw and push the implement past, will equate into lots of speed.

I can hold the middle of a 28 WFD but the 56 was an issue. Hence the difference in distance split. 87+ to 40. If I could hold the middle with the 56 I'm sure I could excellerate and finish the throw like a man.

My front squat never reached the 400lb mark 2 years ago because of IT Band issues but my clean did hit 350lns. SO half way distances can be reached with out big lifting numbers as stated in the article.

kover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/08 at 7:55am
OOOhhhh i forgot about will barron  ok  i retract my statement    hell what do i know i am just an ole meat head who is lucky enough to be in this whole throwing thing with you guys.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/08 at 7:55am

Originally posted by Roy Bogue Roy Bogue wrote:

Dave Barron has thrown over 40 without the ability to sqwat 300.

Ha!

Oh Snap!

Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/08 at 8:30am

One thing I think we often get wrongly hung up on in HG is the difference in the weights of the implements. Yes, a 56 is 3 1/2 times heavier than a wire hammer, but an elite hammer thrower tosses the hammer around 270' which is about 5 1/2 times as far as the world record with the 56. The weight of the implement is not the key, the force required to throw it is what is essential.

To me the most useful observation Bondarchuk makes is the importance of special strength. You want to throw the hammer far, you need to be hammer strong. You want to throw the WFD far, you need to be WFD strong.

Great article and great discusssion by the way.

Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/08 at 8:30am
sorry kerry my bad, woody threw the 56 37'+ and i dont believe he weight trained much, if at all!
please keep robbin, the Conway Family and Frank Henry
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/16/11 at 5:18am
Another thread worthy of a bump right now.

- George Bernard Shaw

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic