Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

NASGA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NASGA
    Posted: 8/18/09 at 11:18pm

How many AD's send people to NASGA?

I get a lot of email the weeks following a Highland Games, and I always do the same thing. I send them to www.nasgaweb.com

I also tell them that this site is the ONLY public announcement I make for open games registration.

Does anyone else do this? Does anyone still allow walk-on's? How many of you run invite only games?

Sorry a lot of questions, but I wanted to see if I was alone in my thinking.

Leroy McDonough
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:46am
Originally posted by mcdonl mcdonl wrote:

How many AD's send people to NASGA?  l refer people to NASGA all of the time.

I also tell them that this site is the ONLY public announcement I make for open games registration.  Does anyone else do this? No.  At the Claw, we use every means available to inform possible competitors.

Does anyone still allow walk-on's?  We haven't been a walk-on Games for over 20 years.

How many of you run invite only games?  We invite the best and then fill any spaces left by promptness of application. 

Sorry a lot of questions, but I wanted to see if I was alone in my thinking.  But you didn't say what you were thinking!!!

S McCracken View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/09 at 11:50am

+1

North American Highlander Ohio Chair

www.nahighlander.com

mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/09 at 11:55pm

Thanks guys. I should say that I do email all athletes who I have ever dealt with as well as NASGA. But, we do not post in local papers or anything like that.

It is to the point now where our repeat athletes are enough to fill a roster.

Leroy

Leroy McDonough
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/09 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by mcdonl mcdonl wrote:

I wanted to see if I was alone in my thinking.

So??  What were you thinking?????
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/09 at 3:18am

Sorry Wally... my thinking was as stated. I use NASGA and Email to announce the openning of registration. I also use NASGA as the place for all new athletes to join, and learn.

Leroy

Leroy McDonough
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/09 at 11:53am
Oh!  
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
Lori Henderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Henderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/09 at 4:03am

Leroy,

At KC, we spend a little money and snail mail everyone that has come the past 2 years, along with new people we have had coorespondence with, a registration along with an info letter.  I used to email this registration but found so many either did not get it or changed their address that I got a better turnout if I snail mailed them.  I also usually post to nasga the day we send the letters out alerting those that read this board we are opening up registration.  There are many that don't read this board though that come to KC so I would hesitate to only use this method. 

We invite the 190 class as we refer to it as the national championship and we also invite the 7 pros we have funds for.  After that, we limit the classes to 12.  We had 80 last year and had to turn 3 people away as we were just too full. 

We let C's walk on but don't advertise for it.  Not usually many.  What we do is charge them an extra $10 as we do order extra shirts we sell to the public and that covers the profit that would have been made through selling the one we would give them.

Quite often we get lots of people at the Game or immediately following, who want to learn more and we do refer them to nasga as a great tool to learn about other games, rules, who's who, etc.  We then also tell them about the other times during the year we host other activities that they can come and practice and maybe who lives in their area they can contact for help.

Hope this helps!

Lori

greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:32am
Over in Scotland Malky Cleghorns www.albagames.co.uk serves a similar role
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic