Print Page | Close Window

TRAINING LOG: Jason Cherry

Printed From: Nasgaweb
Category: Nasgaweb Forums
Forum Name: Training Logs
Forum Discription: This forum is for sharing training logs with the community.
URL: http://www.nasgaweb.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10132
Printed Date: 3/28/24 at 11:27am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TRAINING LOG: Jason Cherry
Posted By: Jason Cherry
Subject: TRAINING LOG: Jason Cherry
Date Posted: 2/08/10 at 2:01pm

A recap:

Crossfitter that kept watching this man throwing trees outside my window and thought that would be fun.  With about eight weeks of training with the implements I went with the Man (Dale Gehman) to Midland.  Met up with some fellas that were standup types and I fell in love with the games.  Two more competitions before the end of the season and decided to hit this thing full force in the off season.

Switched from CrossFit to more of a SS (Ripptoe) program.  Ramped up the caloric intake, got my sorry dupa (butt for you non-polish types) to bed early, and lifted as heavy as I could go.

Today was the start of week 19 in the process.  I started at 151 and as of this morning I am 181.5#.  I am nursing a hyper-extended/2* sprain of my left elbow from two weeks ago; benched 210 a few times and that felt okay but even power cleaning 135 is a killer in the catch position.

The excercises performed (all for 3x5) are the push press, power clean, squat and deadlift performed every M/W/F.

08FEB10 @ 181.5

Power Clean...DNP

Push Press...DNP

Squat...265

Deadlift...415 then 475 for 1RM (new PR)

Bench...210 for three reps just to feel out the elbow

-------------
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop

Replies:
Posted By: dl_buffy
Date Posted: 2/08/10 at 2:21pm
30lbs of weight gain!  WOW.  Dang impressive.  Now do you know if you kept same percentage of body fat or if that went up too?  Any idea of the percent actual lean tissue?

30lbs is dang impressive, just hoping it wasn't all Twinkies.

Date Posted: 2/08/10 at 2:29pm

I had to move up from waist 30 to 33" but some of that is in the trunk and not all belly.  It was weird not seeing my abs like they were but I can get back there without much trouble (I think).

I ate lean but drank a gallon of milk a day (2%).

-------------

Posted By: chirolifter
Date Posted: 2/09/10 at 2:10am
Good job...  Keep at it!

-------------
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn

Date Posted: 2/10/10 at 1:22pm

10FEB10   Wednesday

After warming up:

Squat 265  3x5

Deadlift 415  1x5

Bench 210  3x5...elbow is feeling okay, still cannot fully lock it out

Push Press 135  3x5...ten pounds less than where I left off prior to injury.  I understand that alot of the games is legs but I wish I could push my shoulder strength up like my squat and deadlift have moved.

Power Clean   DNP

-------------

Date Posted: 2/13/10 at 6:04am

12FEB10  Friday

PP 135  3x5

SQT 265  3x5

DL 415  1x5

BN 210  3x5

All kids and wife are sick and I am feeling low myself 

-------------

Posted By: Duncan McCallum
Date Posted: 2/13/10 at 6:24am

"DL 415  1x5"

Crossfitter my arse!  Good job Big Swole!

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 2/15/10 at 2:21pm

15FEB10  Monday

BW 179 as of this morning; this virus is beating me down!

High Pulls  135  3x5

PP 135  3x5

SQT 265  3x5

DL 420  1x5

BN 205  3x5

-------------

Date Posted: 2/17/10 at 8:12am

17FEB10  WED

BW 180

HP 135  3X5

PP 135  3X5

SQT 265  3X5

DL 420  1X5

BN  205  3X5

Finally getting out of the grip of the cold!  Nagging cough but the melaise is gone.

-------------

Posted By: Alan H
Date Posted: 2/17/10 at 9:41am
What Duncan said!  Great stuff.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 2/19/10 at 6:25am

19FEB10  Fri

BW 180.5

DL 410 for 2

HP 135  3x5

PP 135  3x5

SQT  265  3x5

BN  205  3x5

Moved the DL to the front hoping the pulling would really pop off the floor and boy was I wrong.  You would have thought I was pulling a train off the ground!  Everything went off smashingly.

Looking at my off season calander I wanted to squat 300 for 3x5 and I am on track for that by adding 5# every two weeks...DL I can actually dial back from 420 to 410 on Monday and make my goal of 440 for five (translates to a 1RM of 500 on paper)...elbow is feeling better despite the loose bodies in there from the crash.  I hope to ramp the PP/HP to 165 on Monday and ramp it out to finish with 200 for 3x5.

We will see if this translates into turning the stick!

-------------

Date Posted: 2/22/10 at 9:48am

22FEB10  Monday

BW 183.5

HP 140  3x5

PP 140  3x5

SQT  270  3x5

DL 410  1x5

BN 210  3x5

Felt good to get back in the groove after being away for the weekend.

-------------

Date Posted: 2/24/10 at 8:10am

24FEB10  WED

BW 183

HP  140  3x5

PP 140  3x5

BN 210  3x5

Yesterday my buddies came over to do CF in the basement at my house(the gym) and did their CFT (CrossFit Total) which is 3 attempts each at the Squat, Shoulder Press, and Deadlift.  I could not resist so I did squats two days in a row and got a new PR with 345.  SP was 145 (ties my PR) and then to the DL.

I pulled 475 and was feeling good so went all in for 500 and did not budge the bar

Anyway did not perform SQT or DL today and will pick it all back up on Friday.

-------------

Date Posted: 2/26/10 at 12:04am

Try 480.  Seriously.

Grats on the PR.  Always a good feeling.

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 2/26/10 at 4:07am

Hubris.  The Deadlift was pure hubris.  I was feeling it and did not follow the simple rules I have written on the floor...

"Keep the pace, one step at a time"

While not having anything to do with this I love this one:

"Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!" ~ Ozmandias

-------------

Date Posted: 2/26/10 at 1:44pm

26FEB10  FRI

BW 183

HP  140x5...150x5...160x5

PP  140  3x5

SQT  270  3x5

DL 410  x3 Reps...Deadlifts have gotten into my head.  I gotta shake it off and get back into the groove.

BN  210  3x5

Did Front Squats after it was all over just for fun and set a new PR at 240.

-------------

Date Posted: 3/01/10 at 12:26pm

01MAR10  Monday

BW 185

HP  160  3x5  (this a twenty pound jump; the elbow is feeling good)

PP  140  3x5

SQT  270  3x5

DL  400  1x5

BN  215  3x5

I am sitting on the floor in my boys' room listening to Laguna Sunrise, Fluff, Embryo, and Dee as they all drift off to sleep.  The room smells of Vicks and sweat (earned from synergy with the Iron) and the sounds of their snuffily noses.  We have a roof over our heads, clothes upon our backs, and food in our bellies, and a forum where I can learn and strive with those I am proud to know about a past time I have deeply come to love.  I am blest.

-------------

Date Posted: 3/03/10 at 1:13am

03MAR10  WED

BW 185.5

HP  160  3x5

PP  140  3x5

SQT  270  3x5

DL  400  1x5

BN  215  3x5

Worked out in the morning instead of at night since Laura and I are going out for her birthday.  Marrying an older woman (even if it is only a few months) rocks!  (Just wrote in case she ever checks out my log...)

-------------

Date Posted: 3/05/10 at 10:24am

05MAR10  FRI

BW 190

HP   160  3x5  (Sore with not a lot of pop out of the starting position)

PP  140  3x5

BN  215  3x5

Diagnosed with a strain on tendon that attaches on the pelvis (one of the hip extenders) that need NSAIDs and rest.  So no SQT or DL.  I am not savvy on what over-training feels like but it seems to me I was going BTW for 23 weeks and now things are getting in my way .  The season is right around the corner and I want to hit it going full speed.  How long can you take off from Squats and such before you loose all you fought so hard to gain?

-------------

Posted By: dl_buffy
Date Posted: 3/05/10 at 11:13am
While I know the fretting about not getting your deads in...I went almost two months without a gym.  I was able to be back up to speed in about two-three weeks.  I pushed hard, but you really don't 'lose' it as much as your muscles just kinda start to...chill out.

Now if you were to stop lifting for a year or so...that would be different.

Look at this as a forced rest period.  Nothing heavy, but even when I had my achilles tendinitis I was able to work upper body and some sled and leg machines (ptewie) until ready to get back to deads.

If you want the season to go well...rest now.  Heal now.  You won't lose it all over night.

Date Posted: 3/05/10 at 1:01pm

Jason,

Rest is sometimes just what the doctor ordered.  Make the most of it...let your body heal and do what it needs to do.

Lifting is like riding a bicycle...your body will remember. 

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 3/08/10 at 2:07pm

08MAR10  MON

HP 160  3x5

PP  145  3x5

SQT  275  3x5

DL 400  1x5

BN  215  3x5

-------------

Date Posted: 3/10/10 at 10:30am

10MAR10  WED

BW 189.5

After many, many weeks of power training I have made Wednesday an explosion day.  M/F will remain HP/PP/SQT/DL/BN.

21 Thrusters with 125# and Pullups

15 Thrusters with 125# and Pullups

9 Thrusters with 125# and Pullups

Time of 15:10

-------------

Date Posted: 3/11/10 at 11:26pm

12MAR10

BW 188.5

HP 160  3x5

PP  145  3x5  (Craig Smith does like 330...easy )

SQT  275  3x5

DL  405  1x5

BN 215  3x5

Morning workout today by necessity.  I did not like it so I will stick to the 8pm time slot when humanly possible.

-------------

Date Posted: 3/13/10 at 7:50am

13MAR10

In a horked off mood so I went in the basement for some me time with my friend the Deadlift.  Just thought I would do some medium weight stuff to burn it up.  Got a wild hair and pulled a new PR of 480!

-------------

Date Posted: 3/13/10 at 8:10am

Word!

-------------
The man in the arena.

Posted By: AlDargie
Date Posted: 3/13/10 at 12:09pm
Good for you.  I wish I had your recovery time.

-------------
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales

Date Posted: 3/15/10 at 1:22pm

15MAR10  Mon

Hip Snatch 105# and 34" Box Jumps  reps of 21-15-9

Total time of 13:44

Bought shin guards for 5$ and it saved me.  On the 42 box jump I hit my toes and road the wood till my feet hit the floor.  Hip Snatch weight could have been a bit more I think but it was the first time doing the move so I took a educated guess at a weight.

Going to rest tomorrow and practice throwing on Wednesday.  Been watching Larry Brock, Craig Smith, Olderfelt, Safin, and some fellas from "Sorinex" on youtube.

-------------

Date Posted: 3/17/10 at 12:33pm

17MAR10  WED

Braemar 18# and Open with the same 18#.  I glide on the open.  Where can you get some good information on form here.  Not a lot of videos I can find on the subject.

HWFD and LWFD felt good.  HWFD got 20' which is 5' more than last year and the LWFD went 46 and some change which is 10' more than last year.  More practice will make the mistakes that creep in at bay.

Hammer still baffles me.  I got 70' in practice (no spikes) but I feel I can make some real progress here if I can find out how to get more speed on the ball.

Turned the practice caber from last year without problem but when it came to the qualifier caber we used last year I did not.  The pick is good (Dale Gehman style), running under control, but my pull is always late.

Sheaf is went well but without a standard to aim for it is hard to say...it easily clears the top of the backboard in the driveway.

WOB I used a 1.5 pood KB.  Focused on staying on my toes to jump the weight up on the throw.  Hard to say how high it went.

-------------

Date Posted: 3/18/10 at 3:36am

18MAR10  THU

BW 188.5

HP 165  3x5

PP 150  3x5

SQT  280  3x5

DL  420  1x5

BN  220  3x5

Spent the early morning watching Larry Brock, Bert Sorin, and Craig Smith on youtube.  In my head I can replay their motions but replicating them perfectly is the trick...maybe some homemade spikes?

-------------

Date Posted: 3/18/10 at 4:28am
Larry Brock sells spikes and there pretty good.  It would be nice to get that squat closer to your dead.

-------------

Gene Flynn

Posted By: Mountain Man
Date Posted: 3/18/10 at 5:40am

I was reading over your log. I thought you had a tendon thing and the Dr said no Deads or Squats, but then 3 days later you were deading again (oh, congrats on the 480, really nice Jason!)

Just wondering how the injury is healing?

-------------
Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo

Date Posted: 3/18/10 at 8:25am

Injured my hip on the 1st of March...3rd of March Dr. Frye said no Squats or Deadlifts and take 800mg Motrin four times a day...No Squats or Deadlifts on the 5th...

Was feeling good after almost a week off from it and went back to work on the 8th.  Then pulled 480 on the 13th of the month.

Still get a 'pop' sensation in the beginning reps but it stops once I really get going.  Thanks for asking.

Also back in January Wayne Hill commented (Training of 190# athlete thread) that you cannot predict how much you can move in the Deadlift by looking at your Squat and vise versa.  It seems to me that my 1RM of 345 in the Squat would be higher since I moved 480 in the Deadlift...

*EDIT* should note my squats go deep enough to touch my dupa to a 20# dynamax ball which brings me 14" from the deck.  Do they not have to be that deep?  I am sure I could do more if they did not go that deep.

-------------

Posted By: mthompson33
Date Posted: 3/18/10 at 9:44am
Jason, is the "popping" in the bottom position of your squat?  If so, I have been dealing with something similar to this for the past month or so as well.  Dave (DLBuffy) recommended tightening my hams and glutes on the eccentric portion of the squat.  This seems to be helping.  It seems to be a strain or stretch of my hip flexor from a partial dislocation of the hip.  I was too loose or relaxing into my squat...

-------------
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb

Date Posted: 3/18/10 at 9:47am
Yes that is exactly where the popping is!  That would be on the descent of the squat, yes?

-------------

Date Posted: 3/18/10 at 10:04am
That is correct. 

I've been working on tightening my hams/glutes on the way down and doing some bulgarian split squats (body weight) to try and strengthen the stabilizers.  If you find something that works really well let me know...

-------------
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb

Date Posted: 3/20/10 at 2:29am

20MAR10  SAT

Braemar and Open Stone:  Felt better explosion and got further throws than before.  I glide (no spin) and I am staying off the board more often than not since I actually marked out the box to throw in.

HWFD and LWFD:  I am pleased here so far.  The HWFD does not put me to the turf like it has in the past.  Better distance than last season.  Feel more balanced in the sprint to the Trig.  Thanks Youtube and all you guys that post your videos.

Hammer:  I cannot figure how to get more speed on the hammer.  I really think I can get something done with points if I can figure it out.  Any cues here would be great!

-------------

Date Posted: 3/22/10 at 2:20pm

22MAR10  MON

BW 187.5

Reps of 21-15-9 of 150# clean and press followed by 1.5 one handed KB Swings

Time of 21:24

-------------

Date Posted: 3/23/10 at 11:22am

23MAR10  TUES

Was supposed to throw tomorrow but I am late shift and it would be to dark when I get home.  Threw today...

Braemar is what it is.  Open is feeling better with the glide (not faulting at all today).

HWFD and LWFD keep me smiling.  I need to get my weight to my left foot at the launch as opposed to keeping my weight on my (trailing) right foot.

Hammer felt better in the hips.

Caber did not turn.

-------------

Date Posted: 3/25/10 at 5:49am

25MAR10  THU

BW 187.5

HP  165  3x5   (was keeping hands close but moved them out to shoulder width)

PP  150  3x5

SQT  250  3x5  (lowered weight and got really explosive out of the whole.  DM  made comment about working on explosivness in his log and decided to give it a go)

DL  400  1x5  (again explosive from the floor)

BN  220  3x5

-------------

Date Posted: 3/25/10 at 6:29am

Good work Jason...putting in the time under the iron is vital to success in the sport.  Unless you are just a freak of nature.

Keep working on a speedy break off the floor in your dead lift...it will pay dividends when you get your hands on that first big caber.  Visualize it...picking the thing....running...stopping on a dime when it leaves the shoulder...RIP!!!The Thing

Then it's clobberin' time.

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 3/25/10 at 8:31am

How I envision the power needed to destroy the stone, WFD, WOB, the Hammer, sheaf, and the Herald of Galactus himself...the CABER would look like.

-------------

Date Posted: 3/27/10 at 4:32am
Jason,  Thanks for the post on my log.  Yeah, I've been popping IBU about 3 times per day (600mg).  And I've laid off of squats (other than body weight stuff) for about 2 weeks.  I found a stretch a couple of nights ago that seemed to really target the place where I'm feeling tight.  Laying on Back, One Knee to Chest.  I've started doing this a few times a day, and my pain free ROM has improved noticeably.  The pain that I am having is relatively minor, but makes me feel a little nervous on a deep squat.  I will be squatting light tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it goes.

-------------
Matt Thompson

Date Posted: 3/27/10 at 5:43am

27MAR10  SAT

BW 186.5

Stones:  Using my 18# stone I hit 21-22 Braemar and Open goes 25-27.  Of all the events I would think this would be one of my best but it just lags.  The rock is not heavy and with a good squat out of the launch of the rock it should really go...

WFD:  Heavy hits in the 17-18 range consistently and the Light goes 40-45.  It feels mostly like the weight goes around but I am not really muscling it anywhere.  If I can get that I might hit 50.

Caber:  My pull is late every time.  If I had a camera that took video I'd post it so you guys could see but I don't.  The pick is spot on.  I can run with it forever for what is worth but it ain't a race!

I will work on hammer winds tonight after kids go down and house is clean.

Peace fellas.

-------------

Posted By: Detroitpete
Date Posted: 3/27/10 at 6:27am
Jason--what are you doing??? All this lifting is NOT good for you. You
should stick to pilates and yoga. And Bah to all that practice, you're fine.
This year, try to set the record for the longest caber run. We'll video it and
set it to the Benny Hill music.

Can ya tell I'm getting worried about you?   

Man--great work ethic--its gonna pay off for you this year big time. See ya
on the field, Bro.

-------------
Mark Peterson. Pissing off bullies since 1965

Date Posted: 4/01/10 at 7:35am
01APR10  THUR

BW 185.5

HP  170  3x5

PP  155  3x5

SQT  220  1x5  Fast reps, 250  1x5 Fast reps,  285 1x5 regular speed

DL 400  1x5  fast, touch and go!  CABER TIME!!!

BN  220  3x5

Practiced HWFD, LWFD, WOB, and Caber in the morning before it got hot.  74* today in Northern Michigan!

-------------

Date Posted: 4/02/10 at 1:34pm

02APR10

BW 187.5

Practiced Braemar and Open and Light Hammer.  When I get a camera I will post video of the Hammer so you all can tell me what I am not getting.

Squats, Deadlifts, and Bench just for fun while Matt did the WOD.

-------------

Date Posted: 4/06/10 at 2:37am

06APR10  TUE

Reps of 21-15-9

Clean and Press 155 and Pullups

17min 45sec

-------------

Date Posted: 4/06/10 at 3:26am

Lay off the cult fit if you want to be a strength athlete.  Trust me, I own a crossfit gym!!!  Its the best for people wanting to do adventure racing, running, military, etc...  totally counterproductive to building massive strength!!! 

Just my 2c, not meant as an insult of any kind!!!

-------------

Gene Flynn

Date Posted: 4/06/10 at 6:25am

Still doing heavy lifting on Thursday (HP, PP, SQT, DL, BN) but doing explosive movement on Monday (this week it was Tuesday due to working last night on call).

I want that explosion out of the whole for WOB and Caber and thought heavier version of CF would fit the bill.

No offense taken.

-------------

Date Posted: 4/09/10 at 9:19am

09APR  FRI

BW 187.5

Took a trip back home for a few days and was going to practice WFD and Hammer but the snow shut me down.

Today was nice as I got back to the basement...numbers are pretty static since I started practicing; mostly maintanence for the season (is this what others do?)

HP 170  3x5

PP 155  3x5

SQT  280  3x5

DL  400   1x5

BN  210  3x5

-------------

Date Posted: 4/11/10 at 1:37pm

11APR10  SUN

Stones:  Braemar is basically static.  The glide on the Open is moving up and gaining some distance.

WFD: Using the 42 right now and making some strides here and the 28 is also gaining ground.  Big difference was not starting out to fast on my casting turn.

Caber:  Turned it!!

Hammer:  Grrrr

Sheaf: increased PR by a foot.

WOB:  Using the 42 to get form down before climbing back into the 56; also Woodhaven Games in June I get to use the 42 anyway

-------------

Date Posted: 4/12/10 at 1:39am

12APR10  MON

BW 186

HP 175  3x5

PP 150  3x5

DL 410  3x5

BN 215  3x5

-------------

Date Posted: 4/14/10 at 2:10pm

14APR10  WED

Morning before work:

Stone:  Open only.  Glide is feeling good and results are more hit than miss.

WFD:  Throwing the 56 and the 28 at 730 without breakfast I felt sluggish.  Blocking myself out at the trig...

Evening after work:

Caber:  9 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 12 o'clock, degrees, 10:30'ish, degrees, 12 o'clock, 9 o'clock.  Finally getting the transition more frequently.

Hammer:  Nothing special here...grrrr

WOB:  Used the 56 today.  Matched my PR on first five throws then beat it by 1-foot on next two!

Called it a day.

-------------

Date Posted: 4/15/10 at 12:37am

15APR10  Thursday

BW 185

Deadlifts and Box Jumps 24" platform.  Did some pushups with explosion off the floor to touch hands to shoulders.

-------------

Posted By: C. Smith
Date Posted: 4/15/10 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Jason Cherry Jason Cherry wrote:

WOB:  Used the 56 today.  Matched my PR on first five throws then beat it by 1-foot on next two!

-------------

Date Posted: 4/18/10 at 10:48am

18APR10  SUN

Supposed to practice today.  Stomach virus .

-------------

Date Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:19am

25APR10  SUN

Time to bite the bullet.  Diet is still lousy...

Stone:  Nope

HWFD:  Nope

LWFD:  Once I got into it I was hitting 42'ish.

Caber:  Turned.

Hammer:  Used my spikes for the first time.  It was different.  No appreciable improvement but I bet it will be a learning curve.

Sheaf:  16'

WOB:  Used the 42 and was hitting 10' but my timing was off.

Even a bad day of throwing is better than no throwing at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 4/26/10 at 12:23pm

26APR10  MON

Feeling mean today in the gym (basement):

HP 185  3x5

PP  150  3x5

DL  415  3x5 ((correction 1x5 - edit 27APR10))

BN  215  3x5

-------------

Date Posted: 4/28/10 at 11:29am

28APR10  WED

Stones:  Did not perform

WFD:  Heavy is over 19 but less than 20...would like to get this 20+ but since last season I only got 9 on the books (faulting usually) this is a good step.  LWFD is around 42'...really think I could hit 45-50 if I can consistently get out in front of it.  Weight is on my back (right) foot at launch and I think it should be on the left.

Caber:  Turned 50% of them.  I think I am getting the hang of the transition.

I will do hammer, sheaf and WOB tomorrow after work.

-------------

Date Posted: 4/29/10 at 9:35am

29APR10  THU

No throwing as it is raining.

HP  180  3x5

PP  145  3x5

DL  400  3x5

BN 210  3x5

-------------

Posted By: KiltBill
Date Posted: 5/01/10 at 1:56pm
Jason, when you throw the weights for
distance do you cast then throw your
hips into the throw to get ahead of the
weight? This gives you time to drop your
hips which accelerates the weight. You
do this on the first and second cast,
concentrate on lowering the weight with
your hips.

Date Posted: 5/02/10 at 11:35am

KB,

Really I do not know if I do this or not; I read your post after I got done with practice.  I will focus on this next time and let you know.

02MAY10  SUN

Stones:  18# Braemar hit 23' consistently.  Used the same stone for the Open and got 27'.

WFD:  56# was a beast tonight and I got 15-16'.  28# beat me down also with 36-40'.  Will focus on KB's thought next time and see.

Caber:  Did not turn any of the 6 attempts.

Hammer:  Spikes...68-70' but not really feeling any difference in speed from wind 2-3 (am right handed with 3 winds).  Talked to Duncan and got some thoughts and pointers.

Sheaf:  went in at 13' x1, 14' x1, 15' x1, 16' was 7 for 10.

WOB:  went in at 8' with the 56' and went 4 for 5.  Went 3 for 5 at 9'.  Since 8' was my PR last time I am feeling better that maybe by seasons end I might smell 10' in the Death From Above.

My buddy has a camera and I hope to get some footage out there for you guys to see.  My first competition is at the end of the month and I hope to start off on a good foot.  ~ Peace.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/02/10 at 12:35pm
Jason, try this with the sheaf. If you grasp the tines with the left hand
then place the sheaf to the right of your right foot on the ground.
Place tines several inches in but not threw. Drop the hips and pull.
This teaches you timing. After several times of this then practice with
a drive. Make sure your left shoulder is touching your chin otherwise
you are not driving the bag high enough. After you have mastered
this then at the height of your backswing go up on your toes and
drive down even faster. If you master this then let your right foot
leave the ground then drop even faster.

Date Posted: 5/02/10 at 11:52pm

03MAY10  MON

Warm Up:  30 winds with the Light Hammer first with the Right then the Left (going lefty was really, really hard!).  Maximum attention given to hitting the LPs.

Lifting:  After reading a lot of posts on here about lifting loads at 55-75% for in season, I have chosen (mathematically) the weight for the followng movements...

HP:  180  3x5

PP:  145  3x5

SQT:  240  3x5  (bringing sexy back!  Have not squatted in some time due to quad tendonitis where it hits at the patella on the right.  Using a compression sleeve on the right, good warm up, and motrin.)

DL:  400 1x5

-------------

Date Posted: 5/04/10 at 10:09am

04MAY10  TUE

BW of 182

Hammer practice of 30 winds right and left.  I would wind 9x then release on the tenth.  Actually beat my flag out there by foot-n-half.

Sheaf practice like KB suggested.  10x bag to my right foot, drop the hips and pull.  Followed with a single swing, left shoulder to chin, drop hips to start the drive then pull for 10 reps.

Did not feel last nights squats and deadlifts until after it was all over then I felt all hunched over like Yoda (must be that the 4th is with me!)

-------------

Date Posted: 5/05/10 at 1:31pm

05MAY10  WED

Did not get to Stone or WFD with Dale since I did not get out of work early enough.

Caber:  Turned with 9-9:30s in there

Hammer:  With spikes I did winds four times and throw on the fifth.  Dale gave pointers on how to turn and add power.  Work in progress.

Sheaf:  16'

WOB:  Used the 42' over 11 and may have snuck over 12'.  Got to be a bit more patient at right before the big pull.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/06/10 at 2:15pm

06MAY10  THU

BW 182

HP  180  3x5

PP  145  3x5

SQT  240  3x5  (so glad to be back in the saddle here)

DL  400  1x5

Worked long so no winds of the hammer tonight

-------------

Date Posted: 5/09/10 at 3:50am

09MAY10  SUN

Practice with Dale.  Is it enough to beat PRs from last year or does it only matter if you can be competitive?  I am doing better than last year already but if I look at my numbers I do not beat numbers being put up by guys like McBain or Gallo from last year.

I have taught my three year old son to ball his fists to his shoulders, arms bent at the elbows, look to the sky, shake his fists and in true Will Shattner style cry, "McBain!"

-------------

Date Posted: 5/10/10 at 12:11pm

10MAY10  MON

BW 178.5

HP 170  3x5

PP 145  3x5

SQT 245  3x5

DL 400  1x5

Edit:  Added Bench at 200 3x5...read somewhere that it helps with Sheaf.

Also looked at diet and despite the abdominal problems I am having I need to get the calories up there.  Dipped below 180

-------------

Date Posted: 5/12/10 at 11:42am

12MAY10  WED

Okay not to get to over the top but today was a great day of practice!  Got out of work early and hit the field...

Stone:  Braemar was consistent but the open hit 28-29' with the glide

WFD:  Man did this feel good!  56 was in the 19-20 range and the 28 was in the ball park of 45-46.  Could really feel the speed build and the sprint to the trig.

Caber:  Turned.  Got my hips into it and got some pop on the stick.

Hammer:  Threw my farthest with the 16#.  Really got some speed and worked on angle of release.

Sheaf:  Hitting 16' with little to do.  Still using the drills I got from KiltBill.

WOB:  56 is getting close to hitting 10' which is 2' over last years PR.  Got the 42 at 12'.  Still need to be more patient before the big pull.

Then went in for fresh Polish Sausage from Regalski's IGA (Roger City)  and Pierogies!  Life is good today.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/13/10 at 11:07am

13MAY10  THU

HP 170  3x5

PP  145  3x5

SQT  245  3x5

DL 400 1x5

BN  205  3x5

-------------

Date Posted: 5/17/10 at 11:56am

17MAY10  MON

No lift today.  Versed just takes the day away...

-------------

Date Posted: 5/19/10 at 9:04am

19MAY10  WED

Practice

Stone:  Braemar is consistent.  Open with an 18# is going 28'ish.

WFD:  56 was a beast today.  28 was mediocre at 42' consistently.

Caber:  Big break through here!  Ya gotta boost the end in your hands and not try to flip the end in my hands over the top.  Turned consistently.

Hammer:  Not

Sheaf:  Not

WOB:  5/5 at 9' and 1/5 at 9.5'

-------------

Date Posted: 5/20/10 at 9:27am

20MAY10  THU

BW 181.5

HP 170  3x5

PP 145  3x5

SQT  245  3x5

DL  395   1x5  (could not find the 2.5s...kids!)

BN  210  3x5

-------------

Date Posted: 5/21/10 at 4:15pm

21MAY10  THU

Best rest day.  Ever.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/23/10 at 1:37pm

23MAY10  SUN

Stone:  Felt good getting into the power position on the glide.  Still having a hard time 'blocking' with my left leg on the Braemar.

WFD:  Heavy went well and the Light was on par.

Caber:  3/3 with Caber #1 then went 0/7 with Dale's warm up caber.  It is a little longer than the one I use.  Does that mean more speed or more boost?

Hammer:  Felt good on the winds and then throw on the 10th attempt for a total of 30 all told.

Sheaf:  Went in at 14' 1st attempt...15' 1st attempt...16' got it on the 3rd attempt (had to keep moving away from the standard each time until I got it)...Got 17' on third and last attempt.

WOB:  9' 1st attempt...9.5' 1st attempt...10' 0/5 but the last two attempts the barrel hit the bottom of the bar parallel with the ground.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/24/10 at 7:11am

24MAY10  MON

BW 177...warm weather is here and all the bike rides with the kids, working in the yard, etc is adding up.  Couple this with the amount of daily calories (2000-2500) and it takes its toll.  Belly fat is dropping (was on the last notch on my belt but now on the second) but strength is the same .

HP 170  3x5

PP  140  3x5

SQT  250  3x5

DL  400  1x5

BN 205  3x5

Getting nervous for Alma; feel like a mini-throw up kinda deal when I think about it 

-------------

Posted By: Todd Bell
Date Posted: 5/24/10 at 7:52am

jason,you are among friends,have fun, thats what it's all about....

-------------
crouch,touch,pause,engage

Date Posted: 5/26/10 at 12:28pm

26MAY10  WED

BW as of this morning 179

Last practice before Alma.  Dale started early so I jumped in with him then finished off from there.

Hammer:  Used the Heavy today and three throws paced off to 60' so I must have gotten something right...

Sheaf:  16' and one at 17' (the sheaf is around 18-20#)

Stone:  Good enough I suppose.  Looking forward to watching the pros throw.

WFD:  Heavy went really well today and Light was on par with 42'

Caber:  Using the longer Caber and have not turned it.

WOB:  9...9.5...and missed at 10'

-------------

Date Posted: 5/27/10 at 1:02pm

27MAY10  THU

Last lift before Alma.  Nothing spectacular.  Hit my numbers/reps and went up stairs for PBJ x2 and a Quart of 2%.

Gotta keep in mind that this is only my fourth game...Watch the pros and the Ams with an open mind and keen ears and learn sumthin!

Peace.

-------------

Date Posted: 5/31/10 at 8:23am

31MAY10  MON

Bw 176...Alma this past weekend was 90*+ and we work black shirts!  I drank a lake but still dropped 4# in a weekend.  Waitress!  Gallon of milk for me and my friends!

After competiting this past Sunday and getting better numbers than I threw last year I was excited to hit the gym.  Kept my numbers the same 170-140-270 (okay I raised this up a bit)-400 respectively.

Unpacked the camper for time.  3-2-1-go!

-------------

Date Posted: 6/02/10 at 12:25pm

02JUN10  WED

Practice for the Woodhaven Games.

WOB:  42# to start.  Got 12' but like with the 56# need to be more patient.

Caber:  Used the one from Alma roughly 21' feet in length.  Need to speed up the pull on a longer caber (my previous practice one was 18').

Stone:  18# is consistent.

Getting a good night sleep and ate like I belong at the table with Mr. Duncan!

-------------

Date Posted: 6/05/10 at 3:00pm

05JUN10  SAT

BW 179

Woodhaven Games (Hybrid Strongman and Highland Games) by Ken Crum.

Braemar 20.5# to start.  Got 23'+ to take 5th in my weight class.

120# Keg Press for 1min.  Got 3 reps.  I went first...learned after the fact better way to do it.  Got 5th.

Farmers Walk for 100' with 400#.  41.09sec.  Took 2nd.

Caber.  First time turned it in competition.  85*, 2:30, and 1:30.  Took 2nd.

Five Atlas Stones 135#-225# over a 42" barrier.  51sec.  Took 3rd.

WOB with the 42#.  Cleared open at 10' and missed x3 at 12'.  Gassed by then.

Took third overall in my weight class.  Had a good time.  Thanks, Ken!

-------------

Date Posted: 6/06/10 at 7:08am

06JUN10  SUN

Rest day.  Normally practice with Dale but I choose to rest up for lifting day on Monday.

I notice that I am sore after a competition even though I throw way more attempts in practice and over a shorter length of time.  Curious.

Peace.

-------------

Date Posted: 6/06/10 at 7:51am
Good job...  I am way more sore after a comp than in practice.  You can NOT mimic competition day in practice..  So its good- means you left it all out on the field...

-------------

Gene Flynn

Date Posted: 6/06/10 at 9:36am
Nice job Jason! In practice you can't get the intensity behind each
throw that you can at a game. Really enjoyed following your training.

Date Posted: 6/07/10 at 12:34pm

07JUN10  MON

HP 170 3x5.  PP 140  3x5.  SQT  270  3x5.  DL  400  1x5.  BN  200  3x5.

Nothing rockin' just keeping the pace.  Next up on the list is Midland.

-------------

Date Posted: 6/09/10 at 11:59am

09JUN10  WED

Practice with Dale.

Stone:  Braemar ...spun instead of the glide for the open.  Not great but not bad either has potential.

WFD:  Consistent.  Need to be more aggressive (for lack of a better word) on the first turn after intial cast to sprint to the trig.

Caber:  Wind and rain made it very, very hard.  Called it after three attempts each.

Hammer:  Good ones out there today with the light.

Sheaf:  Got 17' (PR)

WOB:  Stood the weight on top of the bar twice in a row only to watch it fall back on my side (10') .  This is my goal height for the season!!

-------------

Date Posted: 6/09/10 at 12:32pm
Good work on the sheaf Jase.  Keep working that WFH...you will find it when you need it.

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 6/10/10 at 3:20am

10JUN10  THU

BW 180

PP 140  3x5

HP 175  3x5 (+5lbs over previous loads)

SQT  260  3x5

DL  400  1x5

BN  205  3x5

Thoughts were rolling to the off season and how I want to train.  I am going to make the push to weigh in at 200lbs between (Sep-Apr).  The M/W/F format with the above moves really took a toll on me towards the start up of 'in-season' routine.

Plan is to do Squats/Deads on M/W/F and on T/T hit HP/PP or Snatch and finish with BN.  Increase load on each move by 5lbs every 3 weeks instead of every 2 weeks like last off season.

Oh, and ease off on the snowboarding a bit .  Thoughts from the Apella?

-------------

Date Posted: 6/10/10 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Jason Cherry Jason Cherry wrote:

Plan is to do Squats/Deads on M/W/F and on T/T hit HP/PP or Snatch and finish with BN.  Increase load on each move by 5lbs every 3 weeks instead of every 2 weeks like last off season.

Oh, and ease off on the snowboarding a bit .  Thoughts from the Apella?

I think if you can do Squats and Deads 3x per week, and train 5x per week, you aren't hitting it hard enough the first time.  I could make it about 2 weeks on that before my body would start to breakdown. 

-------------

Date Posted: 6/10/10 at 4:54am
What would you suggest?

-------------

Date Posted: 6/10/10 at 5:03am
I would suggest those exercises, 2-3x per week at most.

-------------

Posted By: thegnome
Date Posted: 6/10/10 at 6:18am
Jasen, I spent the $19 and got the 5/3/1 ebook.  Wendler has set ups for 2 and three days that are really similar to what Craig suggests.  I would reccommend it to any one.

-------------
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!

Date Posted: 6/13/10 at 2:35pm

13JUN10  SUN

Practice with Dale.  Got some video on Stone, WFD, Caber, and WOB.

Stone:  Started using the spin with good enough results to stick with it over the glide; just need to hit a better power position at the Trig and adjust the launch angle.

WFD:  Things are looking good here just need to bring my initial cast down a bit.

Caber:  Finally got to see myself here and my hands are going below the level of my knees just before the boost.  From everyone else I have seen I need to get my hands to the level of my junk (no offense or vulgarity here).

Hammer:  No spikes today.  Decent enough results.  Felt a weird without the spikes...

Sheaf:  16.5'  I should be able to hit 18' and cannot figure it out.  No film of Sheaf as my camera man got called home by his mom.

WOB:  56#...9' on first throw.  10' on each of the next three!  This was my goal height for the year!!

All in all a good day of practice.  One more practice day (WED) before Midland.  Going to look for that book Andrew G mentioned 5/3/1 in regards to offseason workout routine.

-------------

Date Posted: 6/16/10 at 1:56pm

16JUN10  WED

Last practice before Midland (Sat).

Stone:  Did open and worked more on my spin.  Feeling better with it.

WFD:  Popped the LWFD 47' (second time I have done this) and now I cannot replicate it.  .  Still hitting 42' consistently.

Caber:  DNP

Hammer:  I got something going here!  I ripped quite a few at 72' with a hammer that is around 15# (home made).  It may not look pretty but it is further than before.

Sheaf:  DNP

WOB:  9' on first attempt.  10' on each of the next three.  That made me feel good since it was with the steel 56 with a long barrel body.  11' is currently out of the question...

-------------

Date Posted: 6/18/10 at 8:02am

17JUN10  THU

Standard day of PP, HP, SQT, DL, and BN.

Looking forward to Midland!

-------------

Date Posted: 6/19/10 at 12:49pm

19JUN10  SAT

Midland Highland Games: Light Weight Class

Open Stone 16#...29'2" (PR)

HWFD 42#...28'5" (PR - first time thrown in comp)

LWFD...42'2" (PR by 1")

Light Hammer...72'7" (PR)

Caber:  Qualification Caber: Turned...Comp Caber: 80*

Sheaf 16#...17' (PR)

WOB 42#...12' (PR - went in to early.  Should have passed at 9, 10, and 11' and been fresh at 12'.  Learning every time!)

Had a great time.  Good to see everyone and no breaks in game ettiquette!

-------------

Date Posted: 6/19/10 at 1:07pm

Outstanding work Jase.

Now go improve.

-------------
The man in the arena.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk