Print Page | Close Window

TRAINING LOG: Myles

Printed From: Nasgaweb
Category: Nasgaweb Forums
Forum Name: Training Logs
Forum Discription: This forum is for sharing training logs with the community.
URL: http://www.nasgaweb.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14731
Printed Date: 3/28/24 at 5:00am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TRAINING LOG: Myles
Posted By: Silverback
Subject: TRAINING LOG: Myles
Date Posted: 10/05/11 at 9:32am
This is my first post on my new thread on my training.  To state the obvious.  I am 51 years old, have been lifting weights for 34 years now.  I study the subject a lot, speaking with some people on this board every day on training.  I read and watch video every week.  I just completed two six week cycles of what I would call Gallagher type training working explosiveness and speed.  The first six weeks of this training was great, it let me practice throwing and I felt fabulous.  The second six weeks I seemed to loose overall power and my throws fell off.  I was not working with John and did not have all of his wisdom helping with that so don't use me as an example of that training.I am now into my German Volume training.  My plan for the off season has three cycles, the first is the German Volume.  The second will be a power phase and then a speed phase.  The first is for hypertrophy.  Now I am part German and have never used this program in all of those years of training, so I am going to try it.  I did legs Monday and I am scorched.  I have what is called a low ejection fraction.  My heart does not squeeze enough and as a result I am low on the blood flow.  So in the German work I am only doing 6 reps for the squat so I don't pass out.  I am going to try and work up with this and increase my work load.  I am also on Alpha and Beta blockers to make my heart stronger, they keep it from ever amping up.  So that is a little hurdle.  I have had surgeries on about every part of my body, or I have broke the bone there.  Just more hurdles.  I think I am really healthy and ready right now.  I enjoy training, I love training.  It is therapy for me and my head.  I have issues from being a very very thin guy growing up, graduated high school at 120 pounds and over 6 feet tall.  Big issues man.  So here I am with my first post and I will be back later or in the AM with what happened in the gym tonight.  I train at the YMCA on Bear Bryant Blvd in Tuscaloosa, Alabama if anyone wants to come by.  We can go for sweet tea and BBQ after.  The goal here is to get back to something I resembled a couple years ago.  I had a real tough knee injury, torn quad tendon and they had to do a quad bypass and work on my heart also.  Was a bad week.  But I am alive, lifting and throwing again.  I am slow and weak.  I don't know if 51 is the optimum age of regaining power and speed, but the problem is, that is how old I am.  So that is what I have to work with.  I have come back and pulled 12 plates and squatted 10.  So decent.  So here is my quest.  Please help me in any way you can.  Thank you brothers. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Replies:
Date Posted: 10/05/11 at 11:42am
I went to the Y tonight, nice crowd.  Did a couple min of bike riding to get a little warm and then did some static stretching for the legs and lower.  I like to static stretch the workout after legs.  Tonight will do mobility stretching and PVC rolling.  I then did 10 sets of 10 on incline.  Only had 135 on the bar and used 90 seconds rest.  Got harder as the sets wore on and had to use a longer rest going to 120 seconds the last couple of sets.  I have gotten back up to a 355 incline since the open heart gig, so the number I used to start here was very conservative.  I have a defibulator in my chest, it sticks up so I have to watch out for that a little on my incline.  Can't be sloppy and screw up the ipod.  Then did 3 sets of side laterals to failure and three sets of push downs to failure and I was done.  Home for a protein shake in less than 25 minutes.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Posted By: C. Smith
Date Posted: 10/05/11 at 12:09pm

-------------

Posted By: Jeff Ingram
Date Posted: 10/05/11 at 1:06pm
I'm very much looking forward to this log. Thanks for starting it.

Posted By: thegnome
Date Posted: 10/05/11 at 1:13pm
This is going to be cool!

-------------
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!

Posted By: phatmiked
Date Posted: 10/05/11 at 1:18pm
Yes, going to enjoy reading this one.  Good to have you posting, my friend.  

-------------

Posted By: KiltBill
Date Posted: 10/05/11 at 1:24pm
Tasty!

-------------
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!

Date Posted: 10/06/11 at 12:25am
Did my mobility stretching last night and PVC rolling.  I am so sore from Monday leg day it is crazy. 

Right now supplement wise I am doing Protein, I do some branched chain aminos, Flaxseed oil caps twice a day, fish oil caps twice a day, multi twice a day, niacin twice a day, alpha lipoic acid once a day,  and some C.  I am doing a Alpha blocker, beta blocker, 81 asprin, Zetia for cholesterol.  The idea of the niacin is also a natural statin also.  They have found I have real high cholesterol from nature.  That is the reason I had a ham biscuit caught in my aorta. 

I am not sure about my recovery with this new type of training.  I am only doing the 10 sets on front squat and incline.  I have only front squatted twice now since all my operations.  It is hard to keep the bar off the fib. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Posted By: Alan H
Date Posted: 10/06/11 at 10:10am
Yeah, keep a lid on that cholesterol.

I'm gonna be watching this one!

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 10/06/11 at 11:31am
I have had problems with the other statins, this one works on the cholesterol from the intestine, Zetia.  I have tolerated this now for a couple of months.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Posted By: Mountain Man
Date Posted: 10/06/11 at 12:02pm
Welcome to the training log club Myles! I look forward to reading your entries for inspiration in my training.

MM

-------------
Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo

Date Posted: 10/07/11 at 12:49am
Thanks Robin, but not sure anyone wants to take my path.  I just am not smart enough to quit.

Did a lot of mobility last night and a lot of PVC rolling.  Body feels much better today.  Doctor called with the lab results and likes what is going on and to keep this direction.  So that is good news for me. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/08/11 at 1:02am
Went to the gym last night and did some cardio.  Baab has me doing this 15 seconds wide open and then 15 seconds coasting on the bike.  It does work.  I made it a few minutes that way.  Then had a nice stretch session and got some TKE work in.  My legs felt much better.  Did my cuff work and some abs, the got some bicep in there.  Just did a few sets of concentration curls.  This will be one of the first weekends I am not going to practice throwing, just rest.  Have a cold on me right now.  3 kids will bring that gift home from school.

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Posted By: Duncan McCallum
Date Posted: 10/08/11 at 5:49am
Cardio?  WTF?

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 10/08/11 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

It does work.

Works for what?

-------------

Posted By: M-BAAB
Date Posted: 10/08/11 at 8:30am
Myles' most important muscle is IN his chest- it is a tolerable type of getting his heart pumping and moving his leg muscles fast w.out a load.

It has nothing to do w.lifting or throwing - 50+ 10 inch scar on chest GPP.

It appeals to him,so he will do it more often.

What's the best exercise?
The one you'll do .

-------------
51 , 72 and 15 at 50

Date Posted: 10/08/11 at 9:37am
Work the heart = good.

I'm honestly surprised he let you have him do the more calorie consuming interval training, as opposed to going for a walk a few times per week (which is what I try to do, btw). 

-------------

Posted By: Sean
Date Posted: 10/08/11 at 10:50am

Interval stuff takes less time, is more effective and is tons more fun. And Myles? This:

I am 51 years old, have been lifting weights for 34 years now.  I study the subject a lot, speaking with some people on this board every day on training. 

is badass.

Date Posted: 10/08/11 at 11:41am
I never said it didn't take more time, or that it wasn't "more fun". 

Can you show me a study that says it's more effective solely for heart/cardiovascular health, since that was the lone stated reason he is doing it?

I absolutely agree that it's more effective for burning calories over traditional forms of cardio. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10/09/11 at 3:03am

I'll get right on that research, Craigor :)

I guess I just never consider walking exercise. A way to relax? A decent thing to do while killing time talking? Getting from 'A' to 'B'? Sure. But exercise? Does not compute unless you're walking up the side of a mountain.

And isn't anything above 85% of max HR cardiovascular work?

Date Posted: 10/09/11 at 3:18am
OK, the world knows I hate cardio.  Hate it, hate it.  It just is not close enough to the edge.  But just looking to get my heart rate up some and make it work.  Is walking a long time for a stroll better?  I don't know, but at least I did something in this arena.  Yea, Mike got me to do those, I listen to him some as we are 12 days apart in age and he does not have a scar down the middle of his chest.  I don't think my heart ever ramps up now anyway with the beta and alpha blockers.  It sure made me breath harder and sweat.  I had to run to the rack and do some curls to get a pump right after and get my mind right.  Friggin bike.  C, how far do you walk when you go for one?  I might try that out.  Sean, I love mass, it is what I have pushed for now for 34 years.  It is a lifestyle, a way of life, how you train, eat and think.  And contrary to anything my heart doctor thinks.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/09/11 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

I'll get right on that research, Craigor :)

I guess I just never consider walking exercise. A way to relax? A decent thing to do while killing time talking? Getting from 'A' to 'B'? Sure. But exercise? Does not compute unless you're walking up the side of a mountain.

And isn't anything above 85% of max HR cardiovascular work?

I figured you would, lol.  All the research I've seen indicates that interval training can be just as effective for cardiovascular health as traditional sustained aerobic activity.  So no argument from me there, they can be/are equal for that.   

Anything that raises the HR at all is cardiovascular work, but the THR is usually 60-85%.  So then we could discuss the theoretical THR, and how X amount of time at 60% would = X amount of time at 85%.  But I digress...

Interval training definitely is more calorie consuming, so for someone, like myself, who is trying to hold onto every calorie they consume to gain or at least not lose weight, instead of the 5 minutes of interval training, I'll just go on a 20-30 minute walk (brisk walk, if you will) and we'll both walk away with equal cardiovascular benefit. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10/09/11 at 3:24am
I go 20-30 minutes, which is usually near 2 miles.  

-------------

Posted By: chirolifter
Date Posted: 10/10/11 at 8:33am
Proud of you Myles...  and thanks Mike B.  I've been hittin' the conditioning pretty hard now for 2weeks and I have noticed huge changes in my breathing and sleep.  i actually think i hit phase 4 sleep last night!! 
Im starting to tweak the Nutrition in also.  Im going to eliminate wheat and gluten.  I have noticed that all it does is bloat me and effect my sinuses..  So on with the oats, sweeties and brown rice!!  I have increased the protien to make up for the decrease in startch.  I will weigh in tomm.
Went to a Nutrition seminar yesterday and this Doc in Houston presented many cases of just getting people off nasty startches, lowered there Cholesterol in 5 days, over the course of a couple months these people lean out and MAINTAIN all muscle mass.
So assuming im 15% at 300 thats 45lbs of nasty ass fat, drop down to 10% now im at 285, which is not small.  Will I be faster? Will I be as strong? Will I be more flexible? Will I be more fit?
I believe yes to all answers ..
Im on a quest fellows...  Besides Im tired of this massive thing hanging off me called a stomach..
Sorry for the high jack Myles but you got me excited...  Bigger and better things to come from all of us..  looking forward to you coming out to train!!
G

-------------
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn

Date Posted: 10/10/11 at 8:41am
Geno, I am always appreciative of you and your information.  Thank you.  Are there 40 foot towers out there?  Cause your going to need them.  Will this change in diet clean up the tailpipe emissions?  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Posted By: chirolifter
Date Posted: 10/10/11 at 9:54am
ha ha..  I have found that wheat was causing the bloating and emissions...

-------------
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn

Date Posted: 10/11/11 at 1:19am
I did nothing last night.  I just felt terrible.  If there is a glaring weakness, it is I am so schedule driven.  So even though I felt terrible, I got dressed and ready.  I got in the truck and drove part way there.  Was in full sweat just driving and it was not hot.  I turned around and came home.  Major progress for me.  I feel much better today.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/11/11 at 11:10am
Trying to make the heart and knee or leg so to speak get stronger.  Did 10 sets of 7 this week front squatting 155.  Easy weight, but after the 4th set I just can't recover.  Using 120 seconds between sets this week.  Was tough for me to get through this but did the 10 sets.  Kind of feel like pussy for this light weight to be just kicking me, but it is.  I was going to pull heavy after and I went to 315 but could not control my legs to the point of not being safe so I did not go on up.  So went over and did three sets of one leg curls to failure at 18, 12 and 8 reps.  Sat for a while and got it together to walk out to the truck.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/13/11 at 1:21am
PVC rolling and mobility stretching last night.  Sore sore sore. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/13/11 at 11:47am
Rode the bike a few minutes to warm up and then stretched a while on the legs.  They are sore.  Did some cuff warm up and then 10 x 10 on the incline.  Side laterals x 3 sets, push downs 3 sets, standing curls 3 sets and home.  Feel pretty decent, but sore.  I am just not a hundred rep guy, not close enough to the edge, but I am doing it. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/16/11 at 8:29am
Just PVC roll and mobility stretch this weekend.  My back and legs are real stiff.  I got to have dinner with Craig, KO, Mike Shea and Matt Vincent Friday night.  Was fun.  Mike and I have not gotten to see each other in a long time, was great to spend time.  Great guys and a few of the top throwers in the world.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/24/11 at 7:03pm
Last week did not go as planned.  I hate the German volume, I just can't get enough blood through me to feel decent. 

I tried to switch to 5x5, but moving the weight up on the front crushed into the defibulator.  So I changed to back squat.  Did the 5x5 with just 225 to feel it and then did 5x10 on some extensions.  Just was not into it. 

For upper body I went to 5 x 5 with 230 on incline.  Felt pretty good, went up and hit 240 x 1, 250 x1 and 260 x 1 after that.  Some front plate raise with the 45 plate for 2 sets of 20.  Concentration curls and some push downs and I was out.  Just lame week.

Started tonight with 5 x 5 with 315.  First set I tried to just pump them out.  My feet are always numb, but at rep 4 it started coming up the legs.  By rep 5 it was over the knee.  So the next set I just took a real good breath in between each rep and that seemed to really help.  Twanged the back on the first set of these when pumping the weight and it bothered me the next 4 sets, but nothing I could not handle.  Then did some one leg curls for 3 sets to failure and a couple sets of 20 on the extension.  Trying to really keep getting some blood through the legs for the quad tendon and all.  I enjoyed this workout more. 

Listened to SRV Voodo Chile

Came home to some Salmon on the grille, did some Flaxseed oil, CLA, Niacin, multi, ALA, and a lot of branched chain aminos.  Chocolate milk of course. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/27/11 at 12:28am
Went in for a YMCA session last night and it felt good.  Listened to more SRV on the way there and got my head right. 

Did some interval training on bike to warm me up, this felt good.  My feet have been real numb lately, so efforting to do more in this area.  I then did 2 sets of 20 on TKE, the left knee is talking.  Then went and did some cuff work to maintain. 

Was going to do 5x5 incline and move up to 240 this week.  I knew it had only been 5 days since my last incline, and knew that could be a problem, but what ever. 

First set was harder than I expected, but got the 5. No way could I do another, so I went down to 225 and completed the 5 sets.  I then started to work my way back up.  When I went to 245 I realized I had miss loaded the first set and had done 250 for 5.  Guess my head was right.  So I then did 245 for 4 more, and went up to 275 for a double.

Super set of side laterals slow with front plate raise real slow, 25's in each hand and a 45 pound plate.  Got about 10 with each and did this 3 times.  Shoulder smoke. 

Wide grip pushdowns, 3 sets to failure.  Like the wide grip as it hits my outer head real good.  Concentration curls 3 sets and then a couple sets of strict standing alternating. 

I then did some jump rope.  I was thinking about Mark the pirate of Ohio Valenti while I did the jump rope.  Because I did them Louie Simmons style, about 3 reps at a time.  I looked like Rocky real early in II.  You know, lumbering along and getting all tangled up.  But I am gong to try and learn to do this.  Hard with my feet numb, but I will do it.  I got a total of 25 jumps and it took a little and I was breathing like a freight train. 

Came home for some salmon on the grille.  Cheryl put that over some rice for me and it was delish. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Posted By: bigirish01
Date Posted: 10/27/11 at 2:11am
Solid workout Myles! That Incline is moving right along!

-------------
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Date Posted: 10/28/11 at 1:00am
Thanks brother Jay

Last night was pork chops with the gravy over rice and some field peas.  A true southern meal.  Sweet tea of course.  Then laid there until the series was over and had my supps with some choc milk.  A solid night for sure. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/29/11 at 1:42am
Went in last night and started with cardio, did 10 min of brisk bike.  My legs were feeling all cramped while doing it.  Then did a lot of static stretching after.  Onto some TKE, 2 sets of 20, then some cuff work.  Did some face pulls and some lock outs on the dip bar to put some blood in the tri's.  Then did a couple sets of 20 with the bar reverse curls to put some blood in the forearm and bicep.  Then onto a calzone.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/29/11 at 2:09am
Static stretching prior to training is a no no.  But I suspect you really didn't count that as a training session since there wasn't a big movement in there.  Recovery work imo. 

calZONE diet > Zone diet

-------------

Date Posted: 10/29/11 at 9:05am
I did the static stretch on the legs and lower back on a day that I was not training them.  I like to static stretch them real hard on a non training day for them.  Will mobility and foam roll them tonight. 

I went and threw some hammer this morning.  Was fun, no boots, no measure.  Just enjoyed the gorgeous day and weather.  52 and not a cloud in the sky. 

Then jumped rope.  Got 50 today, and got them in more bunches.  Still sounded like a freight train when I got done.  Damn that Baab what he has me doing now. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 10/31/11 at 9:35pm
Went in on Halloween and got my squat on.  Went up 10% from last week to 345 for 5x5.  This was hard.  I ground them out.  And it was grinding.  Nothing pretty.  I was going to flush them out with some high rep extensions after, did a set and half.  My legs were spent and I went home.  Had to rest once on the way to the truck.  I just leaned on the rail near the entrance to the Y.  Made it look like I was stopping to admire the area I walked past the last 15 years.  I had the serious Jimmy legs. 

Came home and hit a protein drink, then chicken and baked potato.  Cheryl had made me a home made pound cake.  She then toasted a couple pieces of that up with some butter on the top.  Big glass of milk w that made me feel very comfortable in my chair. 

I love Monday at the Y here in Tuscaloosa.  It is crowded and I like to train in a crowd.  Has more energy than a empty gym.  I don't wear any head phones as I like to be in the mix.  You just yell out something about Alabama or Auburn and it starts 15 minutes of fighting and fun.  Besides, with all the people in there, I never have to wait for the platform and can squat at will.  The other 30 people are all benching.  True. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/01/11 at 2:54am
Awesome Myles! Squat is lookin good! way to grind em out! I lift mainly at home, but occassionally I will hit the Gym on Fort Lewis Army Base. They just put in 5 huge squat racks and platforms last year so I really never have to worry about getting one... may be one loser curling out of a rack, but I still have 4 more to chose from from... lol  Sometimes its motivating just to show off once in awhile...lol

-------------
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Posted By: ken crum
Date Posted: 11/01/11 at 3:34am

Enjoy reading your posts....Glad you are here....

Looking forward to watching your training progress....

-------------
crum

Date Posted: 11/03/11 at 1:26am
Ken, I am glad to still be here bro.

Last night I went in and hit some push work. 

Incline 2 sets of 135 x 3, 225 x 3, then 5 sets of 245 x5.  This was pretty hard, then went up and did 275 x 1, and 285 x 1, all done with no spot or lift off.  I went down to 225 and did 8 reps with it, and was cashed.

Standing dumbell presses, 60 x 5, 70 x 5, 80 x 5.  Side laterals, strict with 25's 3 sets to failure.  Dumbell presses or any overhead causes me some problems now.  The place they cut my chest bone in half feels like it is going to come apart.  I broke one of the retainers they put in there to hold it together, and clearly that would be bad to pull my chest apart in the center.  The dumbells got my attention. 

Partial dips, just the lock out for the tris, 3 sets of bodyweight to failure, then three sets of rope push downs to failure. 

Had some salmon over rice after that, was great, Cheryl cooked it on the grille.  This light weight stuff is getting old with me. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/03/11 at 1:30am
Where they cut you open, does that never heal correctly like a broken bone does?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/03/11 at 8:56am
Went to heart doctor this morning, shortest visit yet, don't want to see me for another 6 months. 

I think it is more kind of cartlidge?  Not sure if it is the traditional bone like a leg or arm bone that enjoys weight bearing.  When I first had the operation it was loose and clicked.  The doctors would talk to me then about pulling it apart and how hard it was to fix the second time.  They would ask about the clicking and after it still did that a month later they asked me to move less and I did and it stopped.  When I later had the chest cat scan a year later when I had the congestive problem they found I broke one of the fasteners.  I am thinking it is a sign to go heavy. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/03/11 at 9:06am
It the sternum and it is a very dense bone. It protects your heart. It doesnt heal like a broken bone in your arm or leg. It is also constantly moving because youre breathing... Hopefully...lol.

-------------
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Date Posted: 11/03/11 at 9:07am

" 275 x 1"

As always, well done.

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 11/03/11 at 10:36am

Thanks brother Jay

Last night was pork chops with the gravy over rice and some field peas.  A true southern meal.  Sweet tea of course.  Then laid there until the series was over and had my supps with some choc milk.  A solid night for sure. 

LOL...livin' large!

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 11/03/11 at 10:40am
The costal cartileges....connect ribs to sternum are always moving. The whole assembly is a lot more flexible that most people think.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 11/04/11 at 1:48am
To celebrate the doc visit, had some serious fried chicken last night.  Mac salad w some sweat tea.  Moved from there to a double pack of Zingers, w a lot of milk.  Slept hard.

Oh, I did lay on the floor doing mobility and PVC rolling while watching FSU stomp Boston C out.  Left leg is going numb on me a lot when I stand up, so trying to work on that, used baseball on the lower back to get in deep near spine.  Have something pinching me there, feel it go through my ass down into leg.  Got my mind on some lat and bi work tonight w some maint work.   

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/04/11 at 12:01pm
Went in and did some cardio, bike at a high pace for 5.  Made my legs feel pumped.  Did couple sets each leg of 20 TKE, and some cuff for each shoulder.  Static stretch the legs and lower back. 

Pull downs.  Worked up to the machine w a 35 hanging on it for 8 reps.  Felt decent. 

Alternating curls standing, started with the 25's and did 5 reps and worked up the rack 10 pounds at a time.  35,45,55, 65, 75, and 85's.  I dropped a rep at 65 to 4 and at 75 went to 3.   Then did 3 sets of concentration curls to failure each arm. 

Home to Steak Kabobs on the grille.  Sweet tea. 

Getting ready for the game in town.  The Y is on the corner of Luraleen Wallace Blvd and Bear Bryant Drive for some tradition.  Flags are flying and banners all out.  Cheryl has a menu planned for the game.  I think some shrimp are going to be early, start of game or first quarter, into some grille work at half, Kabasa on the grille. 

ROLL TIDE

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/06/11 at 10:50am
Saturday I went out and threw some sheaf, just threw nice and easy about 10 times.  Got the blood flowing.  Got sick after the Bama game, had some kind of stomach flu.

Sunday went out and threw some stone.  Just did some breamer and then chase it and toss again.  Got the blood flowing, nothing wild.  My back has been tight now for a few days.  I think it is a sign.  Pull deads.  So that is what I will do.  Going to change up my training.  I have been doing all my work sets and then going heavy.  Going back to what works for me and go up heavy and then do work.  But Monday, time to do what I know works for me.  Pull.

I rolled around on a softball today on my erectors.  I have a spot there that it seems to really get into nice. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/07/11 at 2:26am

Nice work Myles! I have to say whenever i have back issues a good deadlift workout seems to staighten them out. I believe its the tension on the muscle the pulls the spasm out like a kink in a rope.

-------------
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Date Posted: 11/07/11 at 6:19am
Try some rowing machine. Seriously.  My lower back gets tight, and I feel it right down my butt and into my upper leg.  10 minutes on the row machine, really stretching forward for a long pull, and all is right, again.  I don't have to bust a gut, just pull and move for 8-10 minutes.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 11/08/11 at 12:27am
Alan, your going to find my take on about everything from bad weather to a death in the family is to dead lift. 

Last night went poor, and it is all my fault.  A week prior I killed myself squatting.  I am frustrated right now and just am tired of this weak crap.  I bounce my daily off C and we agreed I needed more than a week of recovery from my last Monday.  I have been saying I am not waiting and am going to make it happen, at least three times he has warned me on this.  But if you know me, my weakness is I am regimented to schedule.  I don't like to miss, I like to train.  I have trained my whole life too often too hard.  Overtraining is a way of life for me it seems.  I am also a natural thin person that overtrains easily.  I have been caught on the wrong side of the line many times and it has caused many injuries.  Being past 39 has not helped that.  All that said, did I wait to recover, nope.  I decided since I was going to dead lift I would just go in and do it.  Of course if we think logical the dead is not the easy light movement to go in and do before recovery, but who said logic is involved.  So last night I went in to pull.  At 315 my back started really hurting.  Was like I could just not get tight enough at the bottom to pull without pain.  But of course I did 315.  Many times in lifting heavy and throwing, the last set might not be so optimal, so you just put that out of your mind and go forward.  So I of course took the feedback that my back was hurting, like anyone with a brain would expect and I added a plate.  405 hurt much more.  But I did it.  I then added a quarter, I guess I felt another 50 pounds would make it feel better?  It did not work.  I could not take the pain and could not do the rep.  So not thinking I needed to rest I tried to do another movement.  Leg press absolutely smoked my knees.  Could not do them.  So you think I stopped?  Nope, tried some jump split squats, I won't give in or up.  That just hurt all over.  At that point I sat there and the light came on.  I went home and ate a lot.  Was a good game on TV.  Cheryl made me some unreal home made oatmeal cookies.  Big plate of pot roast with mash potatoes and gravy.  Sweet tea.

A lot of the time I need a week rest in a month.  3 weeks on, 1 week off to survive.  But I am not able to make myself take the time off.  This week I have to rest.  Not sure how, but will do it.  Hope to come back next week heavier with BW and lifts.  I have issues and want to be large and strong. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/08/11 at 1:06am

I bounce my daily off C and we agreed I needed more than a week of recovery from my last Monday.  I have been saying I am not waiting and am going to make it happen, at least three times he has warned me on this.

True story.

I'm smart.  

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/11 at 2:38am

"I have been saying I am not waiting and am going to make it happen, at least three times he has warned me on this.  But if you know me, my weakness is I am regimented to schedule.  I don't like to miss, I like to train.  I have trained my whole life too often too hard.  Overtraining is a way of life for me it seems."

No shit man...but this almost took you before your time.

"I have issues and want to be large and strong."

Too late my friend...you already are.

Stay at it Myles...mental toughness.  Love you to death man, but you have to start playing chess instead of checkers.  Think less about what you didn't do or couldn't do at that exact moment and maybe think three or four moves down the road.  So you couldn't take the pain yesterday.  Are you going to let the reality of yesterday define you today or tomorrow...remember the pain of that failure and use it to drive you.  Use it to fuel that fire.

The block of granite which was an obstacle in the pathway of the weak becomes a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong - Thomas Carlyle

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 11/08/11 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

"I have been saying I am not waiting and am going to make it happen, at least three times he has warned me on this.  But if you know me, my weakness is I am regimented to schedule.  I don't like to miss, I like to train.  I have trained my whole life too often too hard.  Overtraining is a way of life for me it seems."

No shit man...but this almost took you before your time.

"I have issues and want to be large and strong."

Too late my friend...you already are.

Stay at it Myles...mental toughness.  Love you to death man, but you have to start playing chess instead of checkers.  Think less about what you didn't do or couldn't do at that exact moment and maybe think three or four moves down the road.  So you couldn't take the pain yesterday.  Are you going to let the reality of yesterday define you today or tomorrow...remember the pain of that failure and use it to drive you.  Use it to fuel that fire.

The block of granite which was an obstacle in the pathway of the wek becomes a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong - Thomas Carlyle

Awesome post Duncan!

-------------
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Date Posted: 11/08/11 at 9:23pm
Duncan bro, no worries man.  I have been doing this since the late 70's and studying since then.  As C can tell you, I research daily reading and looking for new things and ideas to grow larger and stronger.  I am constantly trying new things.  So much easier now days, back at the start we only had a couple books and monthly rags.  I play my stuff way out but also change with daily, weekly and monthly feedback.  I did Louie Simmons back in the early 90's when he first started being published in PLUSA, but I would have to call him each week to get the scoop.  I can remember even when they were going to cut me open and work on my heart, they paraded a list of doctors and specialist in to my room to tell me it was over and I would never do this and that again and in my mind I was still thinking I would find some way.  So my log is only a day in the life, nothing more.  I will be ready for next season and be strong, end of story.  Now I just will make it so.  I know my weakness and what it is, does that make it easy for me to control and overcome it?  It is a sword with two edges.  Yep, I overtrain and it causes problems, but that same desire has brought me a long ways and keeps me pushing.  I look in the mirror and see a skinny guy, is that bad?  Again, it keeps me pushing on, so do you see the glass half empty or full?  I see it needing at least twice the amount of protein they recommend.  I saw some old college friends last week, they were talking about me 30 years ago eating 500 liver pills a week at the time.  Now I am trying high dosages of fish oil.  Times change, people don't.  Size waits for no man.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/10/11 at 10:32am
Rolling around on the floor like some kind of animal doing mobility and rolling on my pvc while my son rides me.  Cross training that with 3 muskateers and Milky way fun size as fast as I can open them.  Lots of milk, skim of course cause we want to keep the fat level down.  People all over the world are starving, there is no way I am letting this candy go to waste.  Sides, I have to get after it or my son will kill it all.  Cheryl is cooking me chicken tonight, not sure what is coming w that other than some sweet tea.  I ate all the oatmeal cookies so I will be prowling the kitchen during the game looking for goodness.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Posted By: phatmiked
Date Posted: 11/10/11 at 1:12pm
sounds like some good carb loading.  

It's funny how when I pull out the foam roller to get some work on it, my kids see a carnival ride.  Great way to add a little weighted assistance.

-------------

Posted By: Beau Fay
Date Posted: 11/10/11 at 1:13pm

I love this log.  Eclectic city.

-------------
"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed

Date Posted: 11/11/11 at 3:50am
Hmmmm...

I thought this post was serious until I read:

Rolling around on the floor like some kind of animal doing mobility and rolling on my pvc while my son rides me.  Cross training that with 3 muskateers and Milky way fun size as fast as I can open them.  Lots of milk, skim of course cause we want to keep the fat level down.  People all over the world are starving, there is no way I am letting this candy go to waste.   

Then I knew it was a joke becuase there is no way anyone in the world who cares about mass would drink fkn skim milk.  No way.   

Good one. 

-------------

Posted By: jsully
Date Posted: 11/11/11 at 4:24am

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Then I knew it was a joke becuase there is no way anyone in the world who cares about mass would drink fkn skim milk.  No way.   

Good one. 

skim milk allows you to eat MOAR garbage though.

45" trim waist FTW!!!!

Date Posted: 11/11/11 at 4:35am
Skim milk has only like 60% of the calories that whole milk does.  Those are easy calories to put down and I suspect wouldn't affect the number of candy bars eaten.  So we look at it like this:

Whole Milk + 15 fun size bars (300 kcal + 630 kcal = 930 kcal)

or

Skim Milk + 15 fun size bars (180 kcal + 630 kca l= 810 kcal)

Pretty easy choice for me when I'm wanting to put on size.  Do that twice a day and you're talking almost half a pound of bodyweight a week, or 2 pounds a month.  It adds up. 

-------------

Posted By: jsully
Date Posted: 11/11/11 at 7:08am

I wish I could ***only*** gain 2lbs a month..

I just gained 2 lbs by eating at Olive Garden for lunch.

Date Posted: 11/11/11 at 7:19am
lol, I'm jelly.

And 2lbs extra from the milk, obv.

Me and Myles are not that way, which is why I figured he was joking with the skim milk. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11/12/11 at 1:35am
The fact is I have not gained over 5 pounds in a year I think ever.  I am the original skinny kid, my metabolism never slowed down.  Have done the wake up in the night for a shake, beef at 6 AM cause Arnold told me in his book to do that back in the 70's, and 17 eggs a day between meals(don't know how to cook them), 500 dessicated livers a week, orchic, algae protein, you name it.  Over 34 years of trying to gain weight.  17 cupcakes at one sitting is my record currently.  Real homemade ones that are full size, not fun size.  Last night I laid around and ate more, cat fish, and then did a lot of icecream and had the Hersheys all over it heavy.  Then hit some candy cause it was there winking at me from the bowl, then to chocolate milk for goodness.  That candy appears to have a form of non verbal communication w me.  I feel like I am filling back up in my muscles, I was clearly over trained and the rest is starting to work.  Feels great.  I so want to hit the gym, hard to just sit and rest.    

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/12/11 at 4:11am

The fact is I have not gained over 5 pounds in a year I think ever.  I am the original skinny kid, my metabolism never slowed down.  Have done the wake up in the night for a shake, beef at 6 AM cause Arnold told me in his book to do that back in the 70's, and 17 eggs a day between meals(don't know how to cook them), 500 dessicated livers a week, orchic, algae protein, you name it.  Over 34 years of trying to gain weight.  17 cupcakes at one sitting is my record currently.  Real homemade ones that are full size, not fun size.  Last night I laid around and ate more, cat fish, and then did a lot of icecream and had the Hersheys all over it heavy.  Then hit some candy cause it was there winking at me from the bowl, then to chocolate milk for goodness.  That candy appears to have a form of non verbal communication w me.  I feel like I am filling back up in my muscles, I was clearly over trained and the rest is starting to work.  Feels great.  I so want to hit the gym, hard to just sit and rest.    

I would balloon. Then die.

Back in college, now and then, I'd have five doughnuts and coffee for breakfast. Not every day, but now and then. The girls HATED me.

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 11/13/11 at 12:43am
Alan, I had almost that many for a mid morning snack the other day, I had no choice, my route took me by a Duncan Donuts and there was just no options.  The thing has a drive in for the love of god.  I came off the interstate like a scene from Bullet.  Oh and my training, still laying here in the midst of a carb fest.  I see pumpkin pie on the horizon.  Nothing holds up whip cream like a home made pumpkin pie.  Pure goodness.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/15/11 at 1:34pm
Got back in the gym tonight after a week rest.  Felt great, much better.  Went in and did some bike and shoulder mobility and cuff work to get warmed up.  Then incline, worked my way up to a 315 single, that was better.  Then went down and hit 275 for 4.  Nothing great but improvement.  Did a set of plyo pushups with one fat oly plate on each side. 

Standing dumbell presses, 65 x 5, 75 x 5, 85 x 4.  For some reason got dizzy the first rep with my breath and had to pause in mid first rep to get it back together.  But the 85's still felt good.

2 sets to failure with some side laterals, used the 30's

Then some decline skull crushers with only a plate on each side.  Did 3 sets of high reps.  Tris felt good. 

Came home to some beef ravioli with bread sticks.  Then a new home made pound cake for dessert.  Spotted some chocolate donuts in the kitchen for dessert b later. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Posted By: mike pockoski
Date Posted: 11/16/11 at 12:11am
myles, the food diary made me laugh.

i hear you about the dunkin' - they put crack in their
doughnuts and coffee to keep you comin' back. just
finished a ham, egg, & cheese bagel here and i'm gonna wash
it down with this lg coffee and chase it with a boston
creme and this apple fritter...as you say, just for
goodness.

nice...

Date Posted: 11/16/11 at 1:56am
+1 on the Dunkin' Donuts.

Dunkin' Donuts > Krispy Kreme, ainec. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11/16/11 at 6:44am
I've been introduced to Dunkin Doughnuts my Mister Mike and supercool Mindy. It's a good thing they don't have 'em out here......

-------------
Alan Hebert

Geezer-In-Training

Date Posted: 11/16/11 at 8:21am

I'll take Krispy Kremes over Dunkin any day........

Not to hijack or start a debate or anything....

-------------
crum

Date Posted: 11/16/11 at 8:31am
I think everyone knows about the horrible tornado that came through Tuscaloosa and destroyed our Crispy Creme.  Yes we have gone that long without the donut in Tuscaloosa as we don't have a Dunkin here.  Through the grace of god I will be in Birmingham working Thursday and have made a mental check to hit the drive through for 3 chocolate frosted and a skim milk.  I think the difference in the two is that Krispy is a yeast donut?  Ken, I am w you on this one.    

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/17/11 at 1:00am
Did an hour of rolling on my softball and PVC and mobility work last night.  I also did in a couple chocolate donuts, some pound cake and milk.  Since I do the mobility work partner style with my son and daughter I got hit in the head once w the softball when was not using it and then got a shot to the head w the PVC.  Takes it up a notch. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/18/11 at 12:09am
Had some lat fun last night.  Went in and skipped the bike as there was a bunch of heavies on there and they looked like they were going to be there a month or so.  Did some shoulder mobility and cuff work.  Then went to pull downs. 

Wide grip lat pulls in front, worked up to the stack for 8
Then went pull ups.  Was not warm enough I guess for how heavy I am and the first couple sets hurt my shoulders and elbows.  By 3rd set I felt better and did a few.  That was enough to get 5 there now.  I did 17 before they cut me open the last few times.  Obviously I have some ground to make up. 

Then went to some alternating curls standing.  Started at the 30's and worked up 10 pounds at a time until I got to the 90's and did 3 in each hand w them.  Felt nice to be in sight of the 100's again.  I could have done them last night, but did not want to be greedy..... yet. 

Did some concentration curls w 30's Arnold style standing and bent over.  Did 2 sets to failure.  It was cold here in town, my guns were feeling right and I was exploring the gym space and feeling froggy and was ready to jump.  I had a bicep fever and there was no cure. 

Love driving home after a nice session, feel so relaxed and happy.  I needed this as my daughter has now turned 16 and had a special late night movie thing.  Had some chicken and baked potato, then found some chocolate chip cookies in the kitchen that Cheryl had made for me.  Wonderful w a 32 oz glass of chocolate milk.  Pure goodness.

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Posted By: MJurkoic
Date Posted: 11/18/11 at 9:45am
Myles, I always love reading your entries. Very inspiring and entertaining. I
envy you for your nutritionist. Can I hire Cheryl to be mine?

-------------
Loki: I have an army. Tony Stark: We have a Hulk.

Date Posted: 11/19/11 at 4:35pm
Went out early this morning, it was sunny and cool.  Just a gorgeous day, threw some light hammer w no boots off the concrete and then did some sheaf.  Felt real good, the body felt stronger.  I enjoyed the morning.  Came home and Chery did up 5 eggs and some bacon w toast.  Tonight had some pork chops w rice and gravy.  Then chocolate cake made by Cheryl.  And no she is not for hire.  Had a piece of cake that has its own zip code.  Watching football seemed to take a lot out of me tonight. 

I think on the throwing page or training that you should have some wins before you wheeling your advice out to people.  And a lot of wins.   I am a hack so I am not giving advice, but some of these guys don't know enough to know what they don't know.  You know? 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/19/11 at 4:36pm
Oh yea, my side burns are getting bad ass and I just sing Viva las vegas all the time.  Cheryl hates them.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/19/11 at 11:56pm
The King Lives!

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 11/22/11 at 1:58am
I went in last night and gave myself the gift of squat.  I was nervous as I always am before a squat day.  I need the day to go well, it is the key day of the week.  Plus Monday you have additional stress and need to tune up your head at the gym. 

Squat
135 x 3, 135 x 3, 225 x 3, 315 x 2, 365 x 1, 405 x 3
Pause squat 135 x 3

Started using wraps again, I need to do this at least over 315 with the knee injury I have had.  Squat felt good, still had the back bite the last couple of sets. 

Did some one leg press one set of 20 each leg and then added another plate and did a set of 10 w each leg.  Focus getting deep w the rep and feeling the hammy working

2 sets of high rep leg extensions, 20 reps and 2 sets of 20 rep leg curls.  I felt right after that. 

Came home for the best post workout meal there is.  Birthday cake, and I had a giant piece.  The kids could not wait, so we slopped the hog there.  Cheryl then did a steak up on the grill for me.  Laid there and watched some football and did about an hour of mobility work for the lower back and all.  This week is also my anniversary w Cheryl, we have been hanging out about 29 years.  So I expect some pie this week.  Pumpkin and Pecan.  She also does dressing w gravy that is insane good.  Then the sweet potato cassarole w melted marsh mellows on top.  All that w a big bird.  The week is looking up.

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Posted By: thegnome
Date Posted: 11/22/11 at 2:23am
I use wraps over 300 as well.  I tried the neoprene only thing but it didn't seem to make much difference when it was time to throw or do other stuff.  So I feel like I didn't get much "stronger" just used less weight and had more sore knees.  I'm old enough that my ego can handle  saying " ya, I use knee wraps". Plus the lady's at Inzer are always so nice on the phone... 

-------------
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!

Posted By: mike pockoski
Date Posted: 11/22/11 at 4:00pm

Then went to some alternating curls
standing.  Started at the 30's and worked up 10 pounds at a
time until I got to the 90's and did 3 in each hand w
them. 

LOVE this type of lifting. will do this in your honor next
upper day.

Date Posted: 11/23/11 at 1:41am
I am sore.  Not casual sore, I am talking very sore hard to get off the toilet looking for something to grab sore.  Cheryl of course always worrying I am going to have the Fred Sanford big one any second looks and asks if something is wrong.  Yes, I am so sore if I cough my body hurts like crazy.  Got the word, Pecan pie is first to come out of the oven.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/23/11 at 1:57am
Squats Rule!!!!!

-------------
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Date Posted: 11/24/11 at 1:26am
Went in to push last night and felt good.  Starting to get my swole on and I warmed up w some bike and shoulder work. 

Incline 135 x 5, 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 3, 315 x 1, then missed 335.  Have no idea why I missed this other than the obvious.  But really bothers me I missed it.  Went down and hit 275 and did 5 and had a forced rep on the 6 rep.  Improvement for sure, but the 335 bothers me.  I will crush that in 7 days. 

Went over and did one set of flat dumbells.  did the huns for a dozen, cause that was all that was in my tank.  Then did two sets of dips to failure. 

One arm shoulder press, did the 60 for 8 and then 70 for 8
2 sets of side laterals to failure.  Then 2 sets of rear delt on some goofy fly machine all the weak dudes and chick use.  No problem getting in there and working in. 

Decline french curls.  Elbows felt good, so did three sets to failure.  Only had 90 pounds on the curl bar for these, and what ever the bar weighed. 

Came home for chicken and beer. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/25/11 at 2:19am
Pecan pie for breakfast is the way to go I found. 

Went out Thanksgiving morning alone on the field.  58 degrees and sunny.  Just a wonderful day to throw a little light hammer and sit out in the silence and think, relax, reflect.  I love the time alone sometimes out throwing.  Talk about therapy. 

Came home and ate until I was full and then ate more.  The meal was perfect.  Just the best turkey, tender and moist.  Dressing and gravy that was crazy good.  Then the choice of pecan or pumpkin pie.  When you can't make a good decision, you do both.  I did. 

Lay on the floor for the last football game and do some mobility and softball rolling.  More food.

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/25/11 at 6:57am
Pecan pie is 100% anabolic.

Date Posted: 11/26/11 at 12:56am
Friday after Thanksgiving was typical for me.  Went to the gym in the morning for a session.  Did some lat and bicep.  This is such fun, it is also supposed to be short and out.  Started out with some bike riding but it was so boring I could not stand it long.  Then did some static stretching for the lower back and legs.  On to shoulder cuff work and then some pull downs on the machine in front of the head.  Worked up to the stack.  Seemed warm enough and did some pull ups.  3 sets of 5 reps was all.  I felt heavy for some reason.  Hope it was not confused with weak.  Went to some curls standing alternating.  Started with the 25's and worked up 10 pounds a set until I did the 95's for 3 reps each arm.  That was harder than it should have been.  Had to work there and it made my back talk to me.  Did three sets of concentration curls and was done. 

Came home and ate lunch and followed that with a large and I mean large piece of pumpkin pie with home made whip cream.  The home made stuff is more addictive than crack.  Wow was that good.  Knowing I just took in a ton of calories and had trained I did what anyone in athletics would do.  I took a nap.  Got up to watch football and not move again.  Did a massive left over meal later.  I am nervous as we are getting low on the turkey and dressing. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/30/11 at 12:24am
Due to my lower back bothering me I took an extra day and instead of pulling Monday I waited till last night.

Pulled 135 x 5, 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 315 x 3 all felt real good, no problem.  Went to 405 and as soon as I broke loose from the floor got a sharp pain in the lower back.  I pulled it but it was slow and painful.  So I stopped there. 

I did some Louie then to get some work in.  Did the top half, dimels?  And did two sets of 20 reps with 225 from the top down to just below the knee cap and back up, pumping it. 

Pull throughs, 2 sets of 10 trying to really stretch back

Hypers, 2 sets of 10

Leg extensions, 5 sets of 20.  Went home and contemplated.  I think my back feels better and was better than last time, but I have just been doing too much and abused it.  The curls on Friday really got me and I knew it then. 

I am going to really try and do the three weeks on and one off, so am going to try to overtrain this week as it is the third week.  Does anyone else try to overtrain prior to the off week? 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 11/30/11 at 1:05am

Does anyone else try to overtrain prior to the off week? 

No.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/30/11 at 8:05pm
Went in for some push tonight.  Guess I am already over trained.  My body felt bad.  Joints and muscles just hurt when I inclined.  Even my chest in the center hurt at the place they cut the bone.  So I went up to 225 and stopped after a couple sets there.  Just was not good. 

I went over and used a hammer machine for a couple light sets of just pumping the muscle.  Not heavy, just feeling it for I don't even know how many reps, just did a lot. 

Side laterals one arm at a time, 2 sets to failure, then two sets of dumbell press, I held both arms up and lowered one at a time.  

Did some french curls for three sets and went home and rolled on my softball.  I am so sore from last night in my traps and upper back it even hurt to lay on the bench to try and incline.  In fact I am up typing this as my back is keeping me awake.  NG

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 12/02/11 at 12:58pm
Was my last pull night prior to my off week and my body was toast.  I just felt small, weak and wounded.  Everything hurt. 

Bike for a few min to get moving
TKEs 2 sets of 20
Cuff work
Pull downs, worked up to the stack for 2 nice and easy sets of 8
Concentration curls standing 2 sets of the 30's to failure
Seated alternating with the 40's in each hand, this just felt so bad that I cashed in right then and there. 

Stopped to pick up my buddy on the way home.  Sammy Adams caught a ride and we had a nice time as Cheryl cooked me up a nice rib eye and rice.  Time to eat and rest. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 12/03/11 at 1:45am
What a difference in how I felt from a couple weeks ago after I took the last week off.  My problem is I enjoy training too much and I am also very frustrated with my current weakness so I am over training and not making the progress I need to make.  So going to cut out the play on the field completely right now and cut down on what I do to the nitty gritty work.  I can see what everyone else does with 20/20 vision, but never can see what I do, so C is helping my clarity right now.  

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 12/03/11 at 7:31am

I kind of have the same problem...I love being in the gym..which I believe leads to me overtraining also....

I've cut down on my volume lately and feel a bit stronger and feel that I've benefited from it.....the hard part is telling myself not to do those extra sets and reps...

-------------
crum

Date Posted: 12/04/11 at 1:38am
Since I was not going to train, I cleaned up the truck.  Two handed claymore sword, large axe, war hammer, two pitch forks, sheaf bag, 3 gym bags all full of stuff, box for squats, medicine ball, core ball, softball, golf ball, tennis ball, 5 pairs of shoes.  This is just the stuff in the cab.   I took the hammer out.  The rest I need in there.  Tried to stay mellow all day, took a nap with Iron head (my boy), ate big, watched football into the night w Egg nog.  Win

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 12/13/11 at 12:23am
Last night was my return to the gym after my deload week.  I felt so much better.  Monday is a stressful day for me with work and all.  By the time I go to the gym I am tight as a drum.  I felt very anxious about the session.  I want to do well so bad I am nervous.  Plus the stress of life and the gym is my therapy.  I needed a good dose of therapy and leg day was perfect. 

Back squat, 135 x 3, 135 x 3, 225 x 3, 315 x 1, 430 x 3.  I killed this nice.  Back felt pretty decent and had no twang to it. 
Pause squat with a nice long couple second stop in the hole, 335 x 3 and did 2 sets here.  Back started to bother me a little when I stood up to walk into the rack with the last rep of the first set.  Something started to pinch.  But not real bad.  Second set was better.  I did these pretty easy
Snatch, just worked on some speed and pop.  135 x 3, 135 x 3, 165 x 1 and quit. 
Leg extension, one set of 30 reps, was failure and one set of 22 reps.  And out. 

Amazing the difference in the drive to the gym and the drive home.  Just so relaxed and cruising home.  Cheryl could tell the diff in me right away.  I hit a couple shots to show her my awsomeness and she declared I was hot.  Was a win.  Steak and potato while watching two horrible teams play football.  Then double protein drink before bed.  Had a little trouble sleeping as I was jaked up. 

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 12/15/11 at 1:07am
Last night felt very good again.  I love the week back from deload.  My problem is I love it so much that I tend to loose it on week 2 and train way too much.  Then week three I am destroyed and nothing feels good.  So this time going to keep reeled in. 

Incline, 135 x 5, 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 1, 295 x 1, 315 x 2.  Just smoked the 2 there.  Then went down and did 275 x 5 for 2 sets.  Pleased.

Flat dumbell, we have up to 110's in our gym, so 110 x 8, 110 x 8

Standing dumbell one arm press, this does not bother my chest.  60 x 6, 60 x 6
Side laterals, 25 x 8, 25 x 8
Rear lateral, one set, for some reason this was hurting my arm tie in, never had pain there, so I just did the one set and moved on.  No reason to make something hurt.

Decline french curl, w ez curl bar and a 45 on each side, 3 x 8 for three sets. 

All my sets were hard, but I did not go to failure and do partials or any of that.  Reeled it in some.  Looking to keep this full and swole feeling for more than just a few days. 

Came home and had a couple of nice pork chops, rice w gravy, green beans w sweet tea.  Double protein drink and then my choc milk.  Almost had the urge to weigh myself.  I have gone years wo doing this, I have major scale issues.  Once went 3 years and then went and weighed and I only weigh on the Winn Dixie Toledo scale, and I only weigh at night when your the heaviest and after I eat and then will go do it.  One time I did not think it was right so I drove across town to another Winn Dixie and that scale was exact same.  No doctor or nurse has ever gotten me on the scale.  They always have some cheap garbage and I am at the doctor in the morning, sometimes you have to fast.  Your going to weigh me then?  I don't think so.

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Date Posted: 12/17/11 at 1:57am
Went in last night and hit some TKE, cuff with some lat and bicep.  Was pretty short and sweet.

Bike, two sets of 20 with TKE, cuff work blah blah blah.  Then got on the pull down machine, just did the stack there.  Then went to pull ups, doing better here.  Nothing great, but I will be doing at least 10 soon.  Second set got 5 good ones and then some partials. 

Seated alternating curls, just used the 40's for the first set, did not even count, but I did a lot and worked it nice, second set did the same with the 45's.  Then did two sets of concentration curls.   Out.

Went home and had a couple hanks.  Cheryl did a nice spaghetti meal w lots of garlic sticks.  Then ate an entire Sara Lee Family size pound cake, oh had some egg nog w that.  I have a home made blue berry cheese cake waiting on me for today.  Win.

-------------
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk