Print Page | Close Window

Training Log: Alison Tostevin

Printed From: Nasgaweb
Category: Nasgaweb Forums
Forum Name: Training Logs
Forum Discription: This forum is for sharing training logs with the community.
URL: http://www.nasgaweb.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14938
Printed Date: 4/18/24 at 11:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Training Log: Alison Tostevin
Posted By: ATost
Subject: Training Log: Alison Tostevin
Date Posted: 12/22/11 at 12:49pm

So I was told that I had to start a log to hold myself accountable for the journey that I have recently decided to take.  Then I was told that I didn’t have to do anything but that “I WANTED to be held responsible.”  So, here we go, I hate it when people are right!

A little background: .  I am 30something years old and this will be my 5th season competing.  I threw my first shot put at the age of 7, and my first discus at the age of 9.  I had a fair amount of success as a youngster, and then I stopped growing 5’4’’ is all god gave me.  Though I was able to continue to have success and got myself a small scholarship to a D1 school.  My first year I red shirted, having major shoulder surgery to my off shoulder.  Injury sustained as a self-taught indoor weight thrower in high school.  The next three years of school did nothing but make me hate throwing and hate sports in general.  I took 8 years off from doing anything I mean ANYTHING.  4 years ago after some pressure of the Director of the Maine Highland games, I signed up for my first games.  Today I am a much happier person, a little bit healthier and having so much fun.  When a stated doing the games I joined a power lifting gym, and have been training there since. 

I am a very coachable person, always have been, but I have no confidence in my own knowledge in the gym, I feel lost, as if I am not doing anything effectively.  This has kept me with a trainer who only knows how to train for powerlifting, and even then it’s powerlifting from the early 90s.  I have gym PRs of 375 squat (with knee wraps), 155 bench, and 300 deadlift. 

So here I am today. I took my first step to the “new Alison.”  With help from some great people on this board I have my first training program made for a thrower.  I have also embarked on a new food program, with the goal of losing a fair amount of weight in the next year.  40-50 lbs between now and May for a total of 80-90 lbs by this time next year.  (yup im putting it out there)  I also hope to hit some goals in the gym of squatting over 400, getting my bench up to around 170 and pulling 350.  I would like to see my distances increase as well.  BS from 30’6’’ to 34’, OS from 38’5’’ to 41’, HWD from 34’ 8’’to 37’, LWD from 64’6’’ to 71’’, HH from 57’8’’ to 62’’, LH from 68’5’’ to 74’, Sheaf from 20’ to 24’’ and WOB from 12’ to 14’.  I would also like to turn the caber with way more consistency. I might be the worst hammer thrower ever.

12/22/11 ( I had to make a few modifications as my helper has been busy and unable to answer a few questions I have with the program)

Easy 10 min walk on the treadmill

Stretching and rolling

Squats

1x10@55

1x10@75

1x10@95

1x10@105

1x10@125

1x10@140

1x10@150

1x10@160

1x10@170

-last set rep 8 9 and 10 where the only times I felt like it was rough.. 

I did what I call the ab strap, 3x15@90lbs

Deads

2x5@100

2x5@105

2x5@110

1x5@120

1x5@125

2x5@140

-did these quick with good pop through the hips, felt really light.  Hopefully I will figure out if I have the weights correct based off my maxs

Finished it off with a dash around Sam’s Club grabbing food for the holiday and avoiding all the yummy samples I can no longer eat. 

-------------
"Stand in your own space and know you are there."

Replies:
Posted By: C. Smith
Date Posted: 12/22/11 at 1:31pm
Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: AlDargie
Date Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:37pm
Good for you Alison.  We are all here for you if you need us.

Merry Christmas

Al

-------------
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales

Posted By: TheJeff696
Date Posted: 12/22/11 at 11:56pm
Hooray Ali!!!

Good to see you on here and making "New Years Resolutions" well before new years. Me thinks this will be successful for you!

-------------
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."

Posted By: MJurkoic
Date Posted: 12/23/11 at 12:23am
OUTSTANDING, Alison.

-------------
Loki: I have an army. Tony Stark: We have a Hulk.

Posted By: Duncan McCallum
Date Posted: 12/23/11 at 12:44am
Do Work!!!

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 12/27/11 at 12:33am
Ahem...you've been training.  Make with the posting.

Also, the deal I mentioned earlier:

You mentioned you were having belt "troubles."  Been there, so I understand the issue.  Get to your desired weight, get me your measurements, and I will buy you a Forever Lever like mine in whatever color you want.

It is written...

Friends don't let friends lift in Valeo.

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 12/27/11 at 12:28pm

12/27/11

I see a carrot/new weight belt has been dangled in front of me, good thing veggies are on my menu.  I will hold you to that Duncan!

Spending the holidays at my folk’s house, we have a weight set up down in the basement, it’s not ideal but it’s better than nothing.  Really only things missing are more dumbbells and more space. 

Stretching, some rolling, oh how I love to roll.

Push Press Strict

7x10@45

3X10@55

Pulldowns

1x10@65

4X10@70

Bench

2x10@45

3x10@70

Dumbbell Rows

1x10@20

4x10@25

Diet is going well, very impressed with myself and my ability to no crush under the pressure of Christmas goodies.  My one down fall was making the rolls for Christmas dinner.  Who has the person who is not eating grains make the fresh baked rolls, I had one I admit it.  Other than that I have been on track for the week.  Meat, veggies, fruit, and H20.  

-------------

Date Posted: 12/29/11 at 2:20pm

12/29/11

It is funny how when you are enjoying yourself in the gym you never want to leave.  I spent almost two hours in there tonight.  Now granted there was a lot of talking at the end, none the less I felt great when I left.

Stretching and rolling

DL

1x10@45

1x10@95

1x10@115

4x10@135

2x10@145

Cleans (hang)

1x5@78

1x5@88

3X5@100

Was there when a guy who used to be ranked in the top 10 in US in OLY lifting, he said my form was pretty decent.  I took that as a good thing.  We debated for throwing what was better cleaning from the floor or from the hang? Don’t think we came up with an answer, and I might be more confused now then I was before I started.  This is the first time I have done cleans in about 5 months, not really sure what my max is for them either so today was kind of a try out as to what I could do with the amount of reps.

KB Swings

5x10 at 35lbs

Think I should have gone up to the next weight on these, again, not really sure where my strength is with some of these exercises so it all a bit of an experiment.

Diet is going great!  Made it through a stressful evening last night without diving in to the amazing peanut butter fudge in the folk’s fridge.  Got on the scale today, 10 days in to my new food journey and I was surprised to see the sale fall 9 lbs., seems a little much for 10 days, maybe I’m not eating enough.  I feel great don’t really feel hungry or fatigued.

-------------

Date Posted: 1/03/12 at 9:06am
1/2/12
Fist work out of the new year!

Squats
1x10@45
1x10@95
1x10@125
1x10@150
1x10@160
3x10@170
2x10@180

Goodmorning (learning the motion on this one never done it before)
5x5@100

Deadlifts (with red band a various resistance)
1x5@135 no band
4x5@135 banded
5x5@135 banded tighter.

I have not been home for more then one night in the last 10 days.  Which was apparent when I woke up this morning and there was nothing for me to eat in the house, well nothing that I will allow myself to eat.  So taking some antibiotics and vitamins on an empty stomach and then going to work out might not have been the best of ideas.  Came very close to vomiting but pulled it together in the end and got through the deadlifts.   Better planning is always a good thing when trying to eat right, wont eat bad but I need to eat. 

-------------

Posted By: BrittneyBoswell
Date Posted: 1/03/12 at 11:10am
Good work! Way to get after it!

Goods are the BEST sister, the best. As far as form go - start by sticking your ass out - at the bottom you should look like the number 7 - drive back up by leading forward with the hips. I use a pad on this pretty religiously to avoid bruising.

Side note on the vitamins, they don't do you any good on an empty tummy, you won't absorb them. Don't make yourself sick trying to do right!

-------------
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.

Date Posted: 1/03/12 at 11:40am
Thanks Britt,
I know I should never take meds/vitamins on an empty stomach, I had two pieces of cheese before I took the pills, but it wasnt enough.  Like I said poor planning on my part, I could have had some of the granola hidden in the back of my cupboard, but I wont let myself do that right now.  Its all a learning process, I just want to stay on or a little above the curve. 

-------------

Date Posted: 1/04/12 at 9:47am
1/4/11

Push Press Strict
5x10@45
5x10@55

Pull Downs
1x10@70
1x10@80
1x10@85
1x10@90
1x10@95

Bench
1x10@45
1x10@55
1x10@70
2x10@75

Dumbbell Rows
1x10@25
3x10@30
1x10@35

Ab Strap
3x15@90

I am still trying to figure out correct weights for some of these exercises.  Trying to figure out what feels right for that many reps and sets when I am used to doing much heavier weights for much lower reps and sets.  Its all a process I am assured.

-------------

Posted By: thegnome
Date Posted: 1/04/12 at 2:28pm
Hi Alison! Great to see you posting this. Hope you have a wonderful 2012.

-------------
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!

Date Posted: 1/05/12 at 8:14am
1/5/12

I maybe should have taken a day away from the gym.  Sore from Tuesdays workout, lower back mostly, and some inner thigh, and triceps are very sore from yesterday.  Alas I did not take a day off.  I have been warned that I need to listen to my body and not try and kill myself because it will only hurt me in the end.  But its Thursday and I always work out on Thursdays!.   Split the work out in to, two sessions due to some work coming my way.  

Deadlifts
1x10@45
1x10@95
1x10@115
7x10@145

Goodmornings, used a safety bar as I was training with a friend who is going to have shoulder surgery in a few weeks, she can't use a straight bar. 
5x10@100

Jumped into a phone booth and became cleaning woman.  Same friend as I was training with cleans houses for a living, with her surgery and my lack of employment I will be helping her with her accounts during her rehab. Spent 2.5 hrs scrubbing, vacuuming, mopping, washing, a huge house, who needs 5 bathrooms?  Kept my lower back lose when all it wanted to do was stiffen up.

Back to the gym.

Cleans(ha ha cleans on the day I was cleaning)
1x5@78
4x5@88
So last week I made an oops when I calculated my weights wrong on my cleans, darn 5lb plates sneaking in to the OLY plates that are all Kilo, so I was thinking I did about 12 lbs more last week then I actually did.

Kettle Bell Swings
16kilo Bell=35.2lbs (good math)
5x10@35.2lbs

I am still trying to figure out where I should be on some of these exercises weight wise. 

On the weight loss side of things down another 4 lbs for a total of 13 in 16 days!

-------------

Date Posted: 1/05/12 at 9:05am
I'm so jealous of gyms that have bumper plates! I have the urge to drop weights and not get kicked out haha

-------------
Jeff Kaste

Date Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:59am
1/11/12
Been a busy week for me, had a big interview yesterday spent most of Monday preparing for it, spent Tuesday doing it.  So first day at the gym this week. 

Squats
1x10@45
1x10@95
1x10@125
1x10@150
1x10@170
3x10@185

Goodmornings
1x10@45
5x10@105

Deadlifts (first two sets no bands, last 5 red bands)
1x5@45
1x5@145
5x5@145

Ab Strap Crunches
3x20@90

Put my weight belt on for the first time in about 4 weeks.  I hadn't needed it until squats today.  4 weeks ago at the power lifting meet, I needed help to get it in the first hole.  Today I got it to the second with out any help at all.  Something has to be working !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:48pm
who needs a scale when you have the weight belt! Go Alison!

-------------
Jeff Kaste

Date Posted: 1/13/12 at 1:38pm
1/13/12

Overhead Press
2x10@45
3x10@55
5x10@60

Pulldowns
1x10@85
2x10@95
2x10@100

Benchpress
1x10@45
1x10@55
1x10@70
2x10@80

Dumbbell Rows
2x10@30
2X10@35
1X10@40

In the middle of my overhead pressing the owner of my gym comes up and tells me that the guy who taught me how to lift back in high school passed away on Sunday.  His name was Ernie Gilbert and in Maine is was one of the great lifters.  He also had a love of track and field. Coached the woman who hold the high school national record with the 8lb shot. Summer before my SR year of high school he got a bunch of the better throwers in the state together.  There were 6 or 7 of us, three days a week we got together and throw and then we went to his gym and we lifted.  He taught me how to squat, dead lift, bench press, clean, and snatch.  He introduced me to the coach at UMASS who has lifted at his gym as a teenager.  Thats how I got my scholarship.  Heck my prom date was one of the guys I threw with during his sessions, Nick didn't have access to a tux, so "Gilly" as we called him lent him his tux.   I had not seen him in over 12 years and I am not sure he knew I was back lifting and throwing.  As I was lifting the bar over my head I got more then a little teary, that man gave me so much, and I pushed the weight up a little faster and a little harder.  He will be missed.

-------------

Posted By: rob meulenberg
Date Posted: 1/14/12 at 11:43am
Sorry to hear that Alison.

-------------
www.sportkilt.com

Posted By: Wayne Hill
Date Posted: 1/14/12 at 11:55am
Someone like that touches a lot of lives.  The best memorial is a memory.

-------------
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby

Date Posted: 1/15/12 at 11:15am
1/15/12

Made sure to make it to the gym today, was alone for most of my work out.  I like it better that way.

Deadlifts
1x10@45
1x10@95
1x10@125
1x10@145
6x8@155

My lower back was killing me today.  Not sure if was from sleeping in at my folks place last night on the pullout, or because I wore heels for most of the day yesterday.  I hate heels, only wear them for special occasions.  So in between each set I would go lay flat on the bench with my feet on the bench, seemed to relax my back long enough to get another set in.

Cleans (from the hang)
5x5@90
These felt surprisingly well considering how the dead lifts felt

Goodmornings
2x10@105
3x10@115

I have gotten more comfortable with the movement and think I can stand to take some more weight with these, going to give it a shot.  Not to much pain in the lower back here either.

Kettle Bell Swings
3x10@36
These killed my back and I didnt get all my sets in,  not sure what the deal is. 

Got home took a really hot shower and have done some rolling and stretching, back seems just fine.  Who knows, I have never understood my body, why start getting it now.

Yesterday I went to the furnural of my lifting mentor Ernie "Gilly" Gilbert.  There were about 200 people there for the public memorial.  His wife spoke towards the end, and asked for anyone he helped with weight lifting to stand up.  More then 3/4 of the auditorium stood up.  She then told us all how in power lifting you wanted to see at least two white litghts after your lift.  She looked up and said "Earnie these people standing are your white lights,  I think it was a good lift."  But perhaps my favorite moment was when Earnie Hackett said the thing he always remembers Gilly saying was "Just pick it up!"  That really is all we have to do!

-------------

Date Posted: 1/16/12 at 12:46pm
I was acused today of not putting all my workouts up on my log.   Well today is the end of my third week 4 workouts a week, and I admittedly didn't do two workouts one each of the first two weeks.  So I should have 10 workouts posted.  By my count with tonight's entry I have 10 workouts, that's all I should have.  So poo on you!!!

1/16/12
Bench
1x10@45
1x10@55
1x10 @65
1x10@70
1x10@75
5x10@80

Strict Row
5x10@70  need more weight on this one too easy!

Clean and Jerk
5x5@95

Pull Downs
2x10@90
3x10@100

Abbs
3x15@90

My lower back is still feeling crappy,  but got through the cleans, the jerks were just fine. 
Weight is coming off nicely,  looked back at the actual figure from December 16th and we are creeping up on 23 lbs.  Pretty cool if you ask me!

-------------

Date Posted: 1/17/12 at 10:44am
1/17/12

I should have taken today off.  I knew it on my way to the gym, I knew it when I was there, and I knew it when I left.  But I also knew that I wasn't going to be able to go tomorrow so I needed to go today.  I cut my workout short, my back was just not having it.  What can you do.

Squats
1x10@55
1x10@105
1x10@125
1x10@150
1x10@170
3x10@185

Goodmornings
5x10@105

Ab Strap
3x10@90

Toast I tell you!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 1/19/12 at 4:21am
1/19/12

Did things in a different order today so that I could bench with a friend of mine.   Decided to take some heavier weight and was happy with the results.

Bench
1x10@45
1x10@75
1x10@85
1x10@95
3x10@100

Chest Iso Row
5x10@120

Overhead press (was killing me, had to go a little lighter couldn't get it with out a kneedrive.  This is usually my first exercise on this day)
5x8@70

Pulldowns
5x10@100

It was nice to train with someone else today.  I think I need to go heavier on my benches in general, but 100 is a little rough for me to get out of the rack on my own.  Might try lowering the height down. 

Felt good today strong, its amazing what breakfast before you lift can do for you.

-------------

Date Posted: 1/20/12 at 10:12am
1/21/11

Day in the gym started well, didn't end as well as I would have liked.   Text message to coach "I am afraid I have injured myself."

The last two lower body days I have been feeling massive amounts of tightness in my lower back and upper bum area, so I spent some extra time stretching, and rolling today, like a good girl.  Don't think it helped too much.

Deadlifts
1x10@45
1x10@95
1x10@135
1x10@145
1x6@165
2x5@185
1x3@205
1x3@225

Up until today I haven't gone heavy enough to need a belt, plus 20lbs heavier ago getting in to a good conventional set up was just not happening with a belt on.  But today I wanted to go a bit heavier and put a belt on that was much too big fo rme but loose enough that I could get it down on my hips a bit further.   The lifts went great!  I felt strong and had no pain in the lower back region while doing them.   Then I take the belt off to do some cleans, and the second the belt comes off I am in pain.  Went to do some more stretching to see if I could get loose.

Hang Cleans
3x5@90
That was it back was just getting too painful and couldn't get it to relax no matter what I did. 

KB swings
I went real light on these to see if it was just the weight that was hurting my back, but these were perhaps the most painful part.  Ended up doing 2x20 @ like 16lbs or something and it hurt so so bad and I realized that I was doing most of the work with my arms anyway so I just bagged. 

So I have been home for about 4 hrs now,  done a lot of laying on the floor and stretching, done some hot and freezing cold shower, and taken a fair amount of tyenol.  Here is hoping to feeling better tomorrow.  

-------------

Date Posted: 1/21/12 at 8:04am
So my back is feeling 85% better then it did yesterday.  Not sure what that means?  I have had my back go out on me before like it did yesterday and it has taken me days and days to feel better.  So I am at a loss.  Will get to the gym tomorrow for some upper body, will probably not do the cleans that the program calls for though.  Next week is this deload thing you all speak of.  

-------------

Date Posted: 1/22/12 at 5:08am
1/22/12
Wanted to get in the gym before football started.   Was a little leery as my back was still not feeling good.  Did some stretching when I got up, and some more at the gym.  Was pretty happy with the results.  Only pain and it was more discomfort then pain was on the chest rows.

Bench
1x10@45
1x10@75
1x10@85
1x10@95
5x8@100

Chest Rows
5x8@120

Pull Downs (went real light on these was a bit afraid of how my lower back would feel)
5x15@80

Incline Press
5x10@50

No on to this deload week you people speak of.

-------------

Date Posted: 1/22/12 at 6:14am
Deload is awesome.  Super light lifts, lots of good rest and good calories.  Cardio.  Make it easy on yourself!

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 1/22/12 at 6:30am
I am very afraid that taking it easy will make me complacent.  

-------------

Date Posted: 1/22/12 at 6:44am
No, it won't. 

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 1/23/12 at 11:31am

1/32/12
So I went for a nice walk today on the treadmill,  I hate treadmills.  

I also got a job today.  I have been unemployed since May 17th, with some seasonal work at LL Bean, and some sub jobs here and there.  On Monday I will be starting a full time job.  It has been pretty easy to train when your only working every once and awhile. It actually the thing that has been keeping me from going stir crazy.  I am really going to have to work hard on keeping up with the training, and the eating well. Another challenge here I come. 

-------------

Posted By: AlDargie
Date Posted: 1/23/12 at 10:38pm
First off congrats on your new job.  As a resident of Maine, I appreciate your contribution to our tax base.

Not sure if the place you are working has workout facilities or not.  If so take advantage of as much as you can during lunch.  This would be an excellent case of 1 big lift a day with accessory.  If not, try to at least get out for a walk during lunch and try to get up from the desk frequently during the day.  Pack your food so you are not tempted to the vending machines or cafeteria food.

Al

-------------
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales

Date Posted: 1/25/12 at 6:20am
1/25/11

30min trip down the treadmill!  At least the lunch time crowd at the gym keeps me entertained.  I hate tread mills. 

Squat
2x10@45
3x10@105

Bench
1x10@45
3x10@65

My lower back still hates me.  I'm stretching, rolling, hot and colding it.  Its got 4 more days to get its act back in gear.  Ha ha "back in gear."   Everyone will be happy to know I passed me physical and my drug screen.  Will a contact high from 1997 get you to test dirty.  No doubt on that one.   They for a second were not going to let me do my 30lb lift test.  I need to work on my BP.   They said it was too high and I maybe shouldn't do the test.  I was like people my BP has been high since birth (literally) I lift way more then 30lbs consistently on a daily basis.  I asked them to give me a few mins to relax and take it again this time manually.  I was excited I just got a job, give a girl a break.  So I got it down where they were ok with me taking the test.  I also promised to take my BP meds just a little diuretic. I really hare taking pill, but I guess if im going to be putting all this work in to changing my body I might as well change my attitude towards pills.   Yesterday on a fairly full stomach, 5 mins after taking vitamins, and BP pill I came about three seconds away from throwing up.   I dont understand why this happens to me.  Weight loss total since December 16th 25lbs. 

-------------

Date Posted: 1/27/12 at 10:09am
1/26/12 and 1/27/12

More treadmill balancing.  Sometimes I ask myself how it is I can spin around in circles, keep my balance, and then throw things, yet I have a hard time walking with out tripping, let alone walking on a moving conveyer belt.   This has been the very worst week to deload.  I am so anxious for the Monday to get here that my brain is literally on overdrive, yet I am stuck at home.  I have put off going to the gym every day as long as I can because its been the only fun part of my week.  Then I get there and I cant play with the weights like I want to. 

Did more easy bar only benching and squatting both today and yesterday as well as some ab work today.  Back is starting to feel more normal.  Little scared for next week, I know I will be in pain. 

-------------

Date Posted: 1/27/12 at 10:48am
Love the deload.  It will pay off.

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 1/28/12 at 11:49am
1/28/12

More walking today, how unique. 

Bench
3x10@65

Ab Things!

Three new bruises from the treadmill.  All on my right hand.  Its and old machine and at my short stature my had hits the handle when I am walking.   So dumb.  So clumsy.  So blonde.

One more day of this freaking deload.

-------------

Date Posted: 1/29/12 at 8:32am
LAST DAY OF THE DELOAD!!!!!   Someone is a happy girl!   I'm pretty sure its me!!

First day of work tomorrow.  Not going to lie just a little nervous.

-------------

Date Posted: 1/31/12 at 11:27am
1/31/12

First day back at the gym.  Was a little weary, between last week being deload, how much my back hurt the last time I lifted, and the fact I was sicker then a dog yesterday.  Barely any food at all yesterday couldn't get the food to stay in my body.  Made for a great first day of work.  I also have to deal with a gym at a new time of day.   Meat head boys galore yuck yuck yuck.  But for all my worry it went really well and I am very happy with the results.

10 min treadmill walk, Love it.
Some stretching if all sorts

Deadlift
1x10@55
1x10@105
1x10@155
7x8@175

Goodmornings
5x10@105  took it real easy on this one was really afraid for my back

Deadlifts
Couldn't use the bands because of the meat heads. So I went without and figure it was better seeing as I was trying to be good to my back
6x5@135

Russian Twists with a med ball I think it was 10lbs.

Good day good day.. 

-------------

Date Posted: 2/01/12 at 10:35am
2/1/12

Push Press
6x10@55
4x10@65

Bench
1x10@45
1x10@85
1x10@95
3x10@100

Pulldowns
5x10@100

Chest Row
5x8@70 each arm

and I'm feeling good!

-------------

Date Posted: 2/03/12 at 9:19am
Well I made two of my three goals for the week.  

2-2-11
Hang Cleans
5x5@89

Deadlifts
10x6@135

Goodmornings
6x5@95

KB Swings
3x5@28

Still a little afraid of pushing my back too far.  

My goals for this week were as follows:
1. Have a great first week of work and dont stress out like a dork.
2. Get to the gym at least three days during the work week so that I only have to do one day in the gym on the weekend.
3. Eat good even though my sleep schedule and life have drastically changed.

So i made two of those goals and the third was 5% stressful.  The waking up 4 and half hours earlier then I have become accustomed has been kicking my ass.  I am exhausted when I get out of work, and then MAKING IT TO THE GYM 3 OUT OF 5 days, I have had no energy to cook.   So my dinner choices have not been the best.   The other meals and snacks have been spot on.  So just have to work harder next week.  Do some cooking Sunday to get me through dinners for most of the week.  I am sure things will get better when my body gets acclimated to all these changes. 

1 lb loss this week.   Grand total since Dec 17th or 15th or whatever day it was 26lbs.  

-------------

Date Posted: 2/03/12 at 9:28am
Good job Alison.  It is hard to perfect everything at once.  As long as you stick close to your diet and learn how to balance the cooking aspect with your new schedule, you'll be fine.  The problem for most (including me) is that MickeyD's is much easier than cooking.  Keep it up! 

-------------
www.sportkilt.com

Date Posted: 2/05/12 at 7:41am
2-5-12

Great workout to day!!

Bench
1x10@45
1x10@65
8x10@85

Clean x 1 Jerk x 5
3x5@89
1x5@111
1x5@116
1x1@122

I worked in with an older gentlemen who only does Olympic at the gym.  I was having so much fun with him that I decided to push myself a bit.   It was great.  I haven't cleaned that much in years at least 15 so it was really fun, and made me want to do it so so so much more.

T Bar Row
5x10@45

Pull Downs
5x10@105

Ab Strap
3x15@90

Today really felt great!!! 

-------------

Posted By: vonguinness
Date Posted: 2/05/12 at 7:57am
Originally posted by ATost ATost wrote:

2-5-12

Today really felt great!!! 

nice!!!
looking forward to the season, is ALB on your dance card?

-------------
jammin on the one.

Date Posted: 2/05/12 at 8:16am
Jason of course it is!!   Looks like I am going to need to get two nights in a hotel for this one.  First games of the season.  I wouldn't miss it!

-------------

Date Posted: 2/10/12 at 4:27am
So I havent done up my training long at all this week, and its not because I havent been doing it.  I just get home after the gym and pass out.   Tonight I will log for the last three training sessions.  Anyone have any suggestions about readjusting your body clock? 

-------------

Date Posted: 2/14/12 at 2:13pm
Ok last week wasnt the best but I got in to the gym as much as I could.  Some prior commitments kept me from being in the gym as long as I wanted every day.  But I got in. 
2/7/12
Squats
1x10@45
1X10@105
1X10@155
5X8@185
1X8@195

Did some abbs and some Russian twists, kind of like these. 

2-8-12
Push press
10x10@65

Bench
1x10@45
1x10@85
1x10@95
2x8@100

Pulldowns
5x10@100

Bent Over Rows
5x10@70lbs?  I think I forgot to write this down oops.

2-9-12
Deadlifts red banded
5x5@135

Cleans
5x5@111

2-14-12

Squats
1x10@45
1x10@105
1x10@145
4x10@185
1x8@195
1x8@205
1x8@225

THIS WAS TOO EASY!!!

Deadlifts

5x5@185

Goodmornings
5x5@105

These sucks, they hurt, I cant figure it out..

So all and all life is good, my body is still all messed up from the new job and wake up time.  I want it all to get better and its not..  I am not really happy about that right now.

-------------

Date Posted: 2/14/12 at 2:26pm
"These sucks, they hurt, I cant figure it out.."

No...you just haven't figured it out yet.
"I want it all to get better and its not.. I am not really happy about that right now."

It will.  Stop focusing on what isn't working.

GREAT effort on squats!!!

-------------
The man in the arena.

Date Posted: 3/18/12 at 6:07am
Ok so I guess I have been a bit MIA.  

I have reasons but no excuses.  Been putting in the work, but just not the logging. 

I am about to have my two month anniversary of my new job, and it has been taking a toll on my want to be on a computer.  The job is great as far as training is concerned, I get out early enough that going to the gym has been very consistent.  But by the time I get home at 7pm I eat dinner and I go to bed, I don't even watch TV.  I just go to bed.  My body is tired beyond belief, thought I would be used to the 5am wake up call by now.  Daylight Savings has not helped.  

I also got myself in to a new relationship, who wants to hear about that.  Luckily he is a gym rat to, so its not taking time away from the gym, but like I said now if I'm not eating dinner after the gym or sleeping what little other time I have I am spending it with someone else and not on the computer.   LOL I am such a girl .  New relationship = not good for the diet, afraid to get on a scale.

Other things going on,  been dealing now for about a month with some substantial lower back pain.  I don't think its anything too serious, but its enough that I can get in a good squat work out, or a good dead lift work out but then my lower back locks up.  I have been doing a lot more stretching and a ton of walking.   Holding out for April 1st when my new health insurance kicks in, 40 visits to a chiro a year with a $20 copay.  It cant get here fast enough.  I am thinking sciatica, but who knows, lower back pain as been a thorn in my side for most of my athletic career, and I know losing weight will help, time to get back at it.  

I have been a little leery about throwing lately, afraid of what it might do to my back.  But I went and collected my implements from winter storage.  The new "guy"  wanted to see my stuff, thinking he can make me some implements,  I think having a connection in a machine shop who is good with metal of all sorts is going to be a good thing.  So yesterday afternoon I showed him the stuff with no intention of doing anything but opening up the trunk.  Well I go the urge to throw, and I did and I forgot how much I LOVE TO THROW!!!  I love it so much more then the gym.  Im all fired up now. 

Ok that was a lot of writing about nothing at all.

Some recent highlights from the gym.

Killer Bench set.
1x10@45
1x10@65
1x8@85
1x5@120
3x5@125
1x5@135
Just a little over a year ago I hit what I thought was my all time goal with bench, one rep with big plates,  well I just did five reps, at the end of a work out!!  I think those 10x10s for the 10 weeks worked. 

Some Squat workouts over the last few weeks,

3-6-12
2x10@55
2x8@105
2x3@145
2x3@195
2x2@225
1x2@235
1x1@285
1x1@305
1x1@325
1x1@345
Most I have ever squatted without knee wraps.

3-13-12
Squats
1x10@55
1x10@105
1x5@145
1x5@195
5x5@235
felt great until I took my belt off at the end. 

I have missed you all!!!!
Cant wait to throw this week!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 3/19/12 at 12:52am

The new "guy"  wanted to see my stuff,

Easy now, this is a family forum!  LOL

-------------
www.sportkilt.com

Date Posted: 9/04/12 at 7:34pm
Oh Hi training log sorry it has been so long, I didn't forget about you, really I didn't I just forgot about taking care of me. 

1. My health is failing, time to forget about to day and make sure I am always looking to the future. Meaning its time to do to day what will make my future better, and stop waiting for the future to get here to start living.
2. Someone told me I can "squat a house" then asked "hows your caber?" At the moment I cant squat a shack, and my caber blows a goat.  Made the decision today that I dont need to put a time line on squatting 410.  What I do need to do is realize that making my way to 410 with shitty form is only going to do me harm, even though I am so close now, I need to stop.  Get back to basics and fix the mechanical issues that could be plaguing me and adding to my health issues.  So 410 I have not forgotten about you, and I will see you in the future, see you and knock you teeth in, but for right now me and 200 are going to get real comfortable with each other.  
3.  Time not to care about how much I lift or how far I throw, but how healthy I am.  I am hoping that if I work on that, the others will come naturally. 
4.  Oh hey Cardio Gym, I have said some unkind things about you in the past and I am sure you will make my pay for it ten fold.  Membership purchased elliptical broken in.
5. Its time to stretch, got to get this back issue under some type of control, chrio helping, stretching helping, foam rolling making me sick to my stomach, and I will not forget the abs, as I think these are actually the crux of my problem. 
6. I am not perfect, so I need to stop expecting it from my self and then punishing my self when I don't achieve it.
7. Well I don't have a seven tonight, but I am sure I will tomorrow. 

Good Night!

-------------

Date Posted: 9/04/12 at 7:44pm
For a young lady, you are wise beyond your years.

I can say from experience that losing weight and becoming a cardiohead for a while will not make your LWFD go from 65 to 55 nor will it make your stone go from 38 to 28. I lost 50 pounds in high school and threw farther than ever after doing so (granted I was 18 but you get the point!)

Get after yourself first buddy! This coming from the young guy I know, but hey I'm bald...that adds years!

Muscle Memory is a wonderful thing Cool

-------------
Jeff Kaste

Posted By: grasshopper
Date Posted: 9/04/12 at 8:13pm
Much love and support Ali!!  Get after it!!

-------------
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)

Date Posted: 9/04/12 at 8:18pm

5. Its time to stretch, got to get this back issue under some type of control, chrio helping, stretching helping, foam rolling making me sick to my stomach, and I will not forget the abs, as I think these are actually the crux of my problem. 

Yep...I believe many of my back problems are related to weak abs.  Get at them!  You can ALWAYS come back and push your squat high.  Like Kaste said, muscle memory is your friend.

-------------
www.sportkilt.com

Date Posted: 9/08/12 at 10:25am
Its been a few days now, had two gym workouts and three cardio work outs and been to the chiropractor twice.  These are some of the things I have been thinking about.
1. No offense highland family, you know you mean the world to me but not seeing you this weekend after having seen you 6 times in the last 7 weeks is a much needed break.  One that I am looking forward to.
2. Why are ellipticals so hard? I mean I am fairly coordinated, I do spin around carrying heavy weights often, so why oh why do I feel like such a spaz when I use them?   Anyone have any suggestions when it comes to the elliptical?  My problems happen mostly when I am changing rates of speed slowing down or speeding up, I tend to have a knee lock moment, not good not good at all? 
3. Intervals on the elliptical, thats where I have been doing my speed, I really only have two speeds slow and fast on solid ground, so the elliptical seems to help find me find a middle.  I have also done a few longer steady times on the treadmill where I walk at a normal pace on a high incline.  Burns the calories but doesn't tax my joints.   Lets face it, I may be in better shape for someone of my size but I am still my size and that comes with some limitations that I hope with time will be able lessened so I can do more "violent"  cardio.
4. Time to become a better oly lifter, this is going to involve getting to know the Oly guy at the gym, luckily he really is an oly guy spent 10 plus years in the top 10 in the USA super heavy weight division.  Possibily make my way up to Albany and get some training in with the great people up there that know their oly stuff.  My third day in the gym gym will consist of oly.
5.  Chiropractor is working on my lower back and I am seeing improvements have been going for two weeks now, been i think 5 times.  the lower back is feeling better, I have been doing my stretches religiously, but here is the problem.  I spoke with him about it the other day as well.  I am about to work out and I do my stretches and the lower back feels awesome, I get up off the floor and my right mid back/side/ rib area goes into gigantic spasms, and continues to go in and out of spasms for the whole work out preventing me from having a great workout.  Will not stay out of spasms even though I try and stretch it out. 
6. Keep plugging away that is what I will be doing. 

-------------

Posted By: vonguinness
Date Posted: 9/08/12 at 12:53pm

Its been a few days now, had two gym workouts and three cardio work outs and been to the chiropractor twice.  These are some of the things I have been thinking about.
1. No offense highland family, you know you mean the world to me but not seeing you this weekend after having seen you 6 times in the last 7 weeks is a much needed break.  One that I am looking forward to.
2. Why are ellipticals so hard? I mean I am fairly coordinated, I do spin around carrying heavy weights often, so why oh why do I feel like such a spaz when I use them?   Anyone have any suggestions when it comes to the elliptical?  My problems happen mostly when I am changing rates of speed slowing down or speeding up, I tend to have a knee lock moment, not good not good at all? 
3. Intervals on the elliptical, thats where I have been doing my speed, I really only have two speeds slow and fast on solid ground, so the elliptical seems to help find me find a middle.  I have also done a few longer steady times on the treadmill where I walk at a normal pace on a high incline.  Burns the calories but doesn't tax my joints.   Lets face it, I may be in better shape for someone of my size but I am still my size and that comes with some limitations that I hope with time will be able lessened so I can do more "violent"  cardio.
4. Time to become a better oly lifter, this is going to involve getting to know the Oly guy at the gym, luckily he really is an oly guy spent 10 plus years in the top 10 in the USA super heavy weight division.  Possibily make my way up to Albany and get some training in with the great people up there that know their oly stuff.  My third day in the gym gym will consist of oly.
5.  Chiropractor is working on my lower back and I am seeing improvements have been going for two weeks now, been i think 5 times.  the lower back is feeling better, I have been doing my stretches religiously, but here is the problem.  I spoke with him about it the other day as well.  I am about to work out and I do my stretches and the lower back feels awesome, I get up off the floor and my right mid back/side/ rib area goes into gigantic spasms, and continues to go in and out of spasms for the whole work out preventing me from having a great workout.  Will not stay out of spasms even though I try and stretch it out. 
6. Keep plugging away that is what I will be doing. 

i like where this is headed, especially #4.

-------------
jammin on the one.

Date Posted: 9/11/12 at 8:04pm
Yesterday I had chiro and physical therapy followed by cardio.  The physical therapy exercises they have been helping my lower back but have been reeking havoc on my middle back right rib area.  I start the stretches and ab strengthening with some pain in the lower back, but it works its way out and I feel great as I am laying there on the floor all done.  Then I get up and my right middle rib area just starts to spasm.  It will get rock hard in that area and stay that way no stretching seem to help until an hour or two latter when its mostly back to normal.  Today I went to the gym and tried to work on those technically sound squats and lower weights, and that spasm it made me cry and made it impossible to get through them.    I ended up going back to the chiro right after I left the gym.  I asked it was all in my brain and he said no, i can see it.  That side looks diffrent.  I got some massage on adjustment some stim and some more massage.  Then some more massage and I left feeling better but not whole.   Frustrated seems like the best word..  He suggested I just stick to cardio for the next few days,  not sure I can do that.  Did I mention it was a super frustrating day?

-------------

Posted By: jpfitness1
Date Posted: 9/11/12 at 8:43pm
Hernia of some sort? My friend has one and he describes it similarly to you. Just a thought?

-------------
Josh Plumb
I may not be good, but I'm consistent

Date Posted: 9/18/12 at 9:05pm
So I squatted today for the first time in like a month where I actually felt good for the majority of the workout.  I have decided that stretching before I do anything active is not really the best idea, and by that I mean static stretching.  The chiro was having me do the static stretches and then more into more active stretching.  I kept getting muscle spasms as soon as i got done with the static stretch. So today I switched it up and did the more dynamic movements first then a 10 min walk at a good pace on a decent incline on the treadmill then I squatted.

2x10@55
2x10@105
2x6@135
2x6@185
2x6@235
1x3@235

First two sets killed, but then it was gone.  I usually don't wear a weight belt until I get to 185 but I wore it the whole time, I don't know if it actually helped or just made me feel better.  I was feeling great until the last set when I sort of readjusted myself under the bar after I had it out of the rack.  SPASM!!  hence the 3.     Did some more stretching dynamic of course and did some more walking.   Feel really good about today!  There were no tears, the pain was there buy drastically less then before and I think I have stumbled on to some things here in regard to how I need to stretch.

-------------

Date Posted: 9/27/12 at 5:37pm
Threw some today for the first time in 23 days.   Wasnt amazing distance wise but wasnt horrid either.   So does this mean im getting better.   No pain in the right side, butt, lower back, middle back ribs, all the places that have been giving me major problems, only thing that hurts in my left butt, its in such a spasm its insane.   But this has to mean that what I am doing is working.   Right?

-------------

Date Posted: 10/02/12 at 6:12pm
Hammer felt awesome!!! LWD felt good but I was holding on to them for some unknown reason. Now Sheaf that hurt, but maybe i should have been throwing my heavy bag?? OOps!!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk