Print Page | Close Window

Fund Raiser Ideas - Do you got any?

Printed From: Nasgaweb
Category: Nasgaweb Forums
Forum Name: A.D.
Forum Discription: This forum is for Athletic Directors to discuss issues involving running a Heavy Events competition.
URL: http://www.nasgaweb.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15251
Printed Date: 3/28/24 at 10:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fund Raiser Ideas - Do you got any?
Posted By: McSanta
Subject: Fund Raiser Ideas - Do you got any?
Date Posted: 4/03/12 at 1:05am

We did a open to the public stupid stone throw toss, which seemed to have worked well last year for the QC games and it holds promise to be a good fund raiser.

We got a tavren to sponsor part of the games by giving us to 1/4 barrels and came up with the idea of stupid stone throw for the public.  

* Set up a throwing pit between the beer tent and the uprights 
* found a couple of volunteers to run it 
* used smaller stones, 30lb and 60lb stones for women and men. 
* Charge $5 for 1 try and 3 tries for $10 
* longest throw wins the prize
* had a waiver
* does not take great athletic ability to perform this event without looking like a fool
* simplified rules:  no overhead throws for the public, no spinning, short run up.... beer tent gets some liquid courage but also brings out the stupid stone throwers, shag the stone back

Additional benefit is that it can be used to suck up to another ethnic groups to draw a wider demographics.  We called it the Irish Stone throw but Germans, Swiss, Scotts, all do a variety of this event.   

Could ask thrower to pick an ethnic group or a Clan they represent.   Use this info to hustle the audience for more participation as there is so much lover between certain clans or ethnic groups. 

Politically, if athletics provide the stones, manpower, setup, volunteers, you have provided an income stream and can use that to your advantage when working with committees... 

I know Scott Runnels and Jim Deters so what we were doing and gave it a try down in St Louis, so you can see if it worked well for them.

In the end, every penny counts and we need to keep the festivals going.   The games made a couple hundred on the first year of doing this.  I know it is not much money, but it requires little equipment, easy to setup, low volunteer man power and the volunteers were having a blast.   What little you can make, covers some print advertising, a radio spot, part of weather insurances, ... this is a cheap fund raiser to help the bottom line. 

Anybody else have any good fund raising ideas -- throw them out there so we can help festivals bottom line?

-------------
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin

Replies:
Posted By: babyfire
Date Posted: 5/24/12 at 12:51am

I've started a small games at our multicultural festival here and I had a business offer me $250 to have their name painted on the caber and another company offered me $100 to have their name painted on the Weight for height bar.

I like your stone throw idea!

-------------
Dean Curtis

Posted By: McSanta
Date Posted: 6/03/12 at 11:25am
I have used "flag material" and used iron on transfer for a sponsors name..then taped it to the end of the caber ... for more temporary sponsors of the caber.  I was asking $200 a caber, maybe I should ask for more to make it more permanent.

I am a numbers guy, so I do not approach sponsors well... I always thought a fence company would be a good sponsor for the hammer cages... "Keep people out and keep the animals in" type approach.

I have tried to get the stone company where I buy stones to sponsor the stone throwing pit... no luck.

-------------
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk