FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Question about WOB comp.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about WOB comp.
    Posted: 10/04/05 at 2:52am
no- no spin vs stand debate....no- no hideous pictures of Roy dropping the bomb.....here it is 5 athletes in a class..5 in wob..all 5(athlete A,B,C,D,E) go in at 12 feet they all make it..bar raised to 13 feet athlete a,b,c all miss three attempts-they are out..athlete c& d make it on first attempt and decide to go one foot to 14 feet..athlete c makes it on his first go.athlete d misses three times...athlete c is the winner-bar is raised to 15-0 for the winner he nails it on first shot.Here is the question how long can Athlete c keep throwing??he hasn't missed a height-can he still keep going up in height or after he wins he gets one more height-which one is it?
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Trainerterry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trainerterry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 3:07am

He/she should be allowed to keep going....This would be good rationale for the total attempts limit.  Hate to see an athlete not get a shot at a pr.

...now if Neis ran the games the athletes would have started at 13 feet then jumped to 15 feet...if he was in a charitable mood that is.

"A man has to know his limitations" - Detective Harold Callahan
JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 3:40am
My understanding of the rules is that you are allowed to keep going up until you miss three times.  Then you are allowed to take your 3 extra attempts as the event winner.  This is especially in play if they are using the decathlon scoring as you want to get as high as possible.  Now, for the interesting part:  If you are athlete "C" and you then go to 16ft and you miss three times.  Then you take your first of "three" extras and you make it on your first try.  You still have two more attempts.  So you go to 16'6" and you get it on your second try (but third of your three extras), you are then done and can't go any higher even though your last throw was a success.  Same rule applies to the sheaf (I know, I know, who cares)  That's my understanding, but I throw in an area that uses RMSA rules and since they use the decathlon system they allow the athlete to go until they are out.  Other groups may have a different rule.  Thom
Thom Van Vleck
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 4:03am
cool thanks
JUST BRING IT /

agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 4:10am
The rules as written are a little confusing. I believe
the right way to do it is to keep going until you have
three misses at a height, and then you're done. There
should be no extra attempts on height events after three
misses.
david barron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david barron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 4:11am
Dammit Dan, I was told there'd be no math involved!
I actually read it differently - as soon as D misses 3 times, then C wins and the competition is over. C can then take three attempts at the field record height, but that's it. Besides, does the crowd want to see unlimited throws because the athlete wants a PR? Is the athlete more likely to make a height on their sixth attempt than on their first or second?
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 4:21am
It's strange, but you sometimes do see people make it after a lot of throws and several misses.

At Glasgow Lands, Jonathan Barlow made 17'1" with the 42 from the stand on his fourth attempt after 3 misses on accuracy.  He took the extra attempt just for fun and made it (clean).

One interpretation says, "Wait til next time."  The other says that this was a huge WR in WOB for lightweights.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 4:26am
As is the case with a lot of "rules" regarding our sport, you better ask the judge what you can do before the event.  As I have seen about 10 ways to judge the Braemar Stone and that is kind of scary for an event that should be as simple as can be.  Again, I throw in games where the RMSA rules apply and with the decathlon scoring you are at a disadvantage if you are cut off after you simply win the event.  You want to move up to get more points, whereas in the other system you get no advantage by moving up.  But ask the judge prior to the event starting and whatever he or she will allow, go for it. 
Thom Van Vleck
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 4:29am
yeah I just wanted some input..had been told one thing (that if athlete hadn't missed yet the comp was still going on & he could keep going on)but recently told another(that once athlete D is out c wins and gets three xtra attempts) here is one major reason why-this week at my next games I may not go in till 17 feet so if all other masters are out already I win on my first shot-but am only warming up and have 4-5 more good attempts in me( i'm under the premise that being the last event-you only have 5-6 strong productive attempts)so if only allowed 3-theres more in the tank-but if the comp is still going on-then I'm in till i miss 3X
JUST BRING IT /

M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 5:09am
dan - 3 misses and you're out. Keep going 'till you miss 3x's- sometimes it can become a one man show- but this is entertainment, right? In Texas/Ok there's no jumping to PR"s after missing 3 times- game over - if you want a PR/field record shot - take it before you miss 3x's. @ the MWC, I won at 16' and Art let me go for a world standing record 3 times because it was a "championship" - in a regular comp , I would have taken a smaller jump and kept going 'till I missed 3x's . You might try NOT warming up and come in at say 16 as a warmup/confidence/groove it thing , then jump based on that throw.Go high brother.
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 5:49am
The rules used by the SHA are very specific. Three misses and you are out. You only get extra throws in DISTANCE events. Simple and unequivocal (unlike the jumble of other rule sets that are out there).
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 6:32am
This seems to be approaching a consensus of sorts (with dissents by TVV and EC Dave).

Carlos, could you please clarify this one point:  can an athlete who's already won continue to throw higher until he/she misses 3 times?  It only seems fair to the champion that he/she either get extra throws to pursue personal/field/WRs or be allowed to keep throwing to pursue the records.  Otherwise, the only chance an athlete has to achieve WRs is to throw against athletes that are near-matches in WOB ability (does that make sense?).

This issue could affect multiple classes (and potential WRs) in my games this weekend.

-Wayne
Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 6:39am

Not speaking for Carlos, but I think I know the rule and I can clarify this Wayne:

The winning athlete can go up height after height as long as he/she clears each height within 3 attempts, not 4 5 or 6.  If he/she clears within the three, then he/she can name their next height and take 3 (only) at that height.  And so on and so on.......

however,  If the winning athlete is determined by a tie breaker, say two athletes miss 16' on all three but athlete A has no misses and athlete B has a miss at a previous height.  In this case Athlete A (the winner)does NOT get extra throws at 16', nor can they raise the bar and get three more, they are done and the comp is over.

Donate lately?
MJurkoic View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJurkoic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 6:46am

Dan,

Make this argument a moot point. Open at 19'. You know you can make it.

JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 6:56am

I don't know if my input was misinterpreted or not, I just want to make sure I was clear on a point or two.  My understanding of RMSA is that you can keep going up as long as you make it within your three attempts.  Only once do you get three record attempts and then once those three are gone, you are done regardless of if you make it or not.  In theory, you can make three consecutive heights with successes on those three throws.  Just for the record, here was my progression with the other athletes at my games in the WOB:

The Masters threw with the open Pro/Am as one group.  Sean Betz and I cleared 18ft (obviously, he was using the 56, it was a Ironmind model, bell shaped with a ring).  I then asked for 19'1" and Sean agreed.  I cleared it and Sean took three tries and missed.  I then called for 20'2" and got it on my 2nd attempt.  I then called for 20'6" and got it on my 2nd attempt.  I then called for 21ft and took three tries and honestly wasn't close.  Steve Scott asked me if I wanted my three "record" attempts and I said no as I really felt I'd done my best pulls.  I guess I'm curious how SHA or other rule books would view this.  Anyone got any input for me? 

Thom Van Vleck
Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 7:01am
Originally posted by JWC III JWC III wrote:

Steve Scott asked me if I wanted my three "record" attempts and I said no as I really felt I'd done my best pulls.  I guess I'm curious how SHA or other rule books would view this.  Anyone got any input for me? 

My understanding is that the added three "record" attempts is or should not be allowed.

Donate lately?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 7:28am
Originally posted by JWC III JWC III wrote:

I don't know if my input was misinterpreted or not, I just want to make sure I was clear on a point or two....

OK, so maybe it's only East Coast Dave who dissents(?).

-Wayne
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 7:56am

Each athlete can go until s/he misses three times at a height. At that point you are done. No one else needs to be left. If you are the only one that makes a height the competition is still in progress (even though there is only one competitor). The competition ends when you reach a height that no athlete makes within three attempts. There are no extra throws for record. Tie breakers are outside of the competition.

Think how you would do it if just one athlete was competing in a class. He would get three attempts per height until he crapped out. Let's say he gets to 14' and misses three times. Would you let him have six attempts? What happens if he makes it on attempt #6? Does he get to keep going? That would be idiotic. That is why extras are only allowed in DISTANCE events.

Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/05 at 8:54am
Thanks for the clarification, Carlos.  I frankly like this approach better than 3 extras.

-Wayne
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic