Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Shoulder Support Brace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old plaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoulder Support Brace
    Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:02am

Anyone had any luck or experience with the Sully Orthopedic Shoulder Brace, as it regards throwing?

i wore one to the TN War in the Woods Masters comp on Oct 2 and found it to be supportive, while giving some moderate range of motion.

however, i am not sure i got it strapped on right and later in the day, felt it was holding me back some. 

maybe it was supposed to.

interested in any comments on this subject.

Trainerterry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trainerterry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/05 at 3:29am

I have worked with about a dozen shoulder braces...most are designed to prevent many of the motions (excessive external/internal rotation-and arm above head movements) we are trying to accomplish when throwing.  If it is the model I am thinking of as Sully makes a few (neoprene with three different straps of neoprene and velcro)   Works okay for football/hockey but usually do not brace people in other sports. 

I would look to try the following...use one strap ( not the strap that has the split)to work to prevent excessive internal rotation of the upper arm.  Anchor on the arm and and wrap around arm near armpit think of working to force arm to be in palms up position.  Position and place across back.

The other regular strap I would use to bring the shoulder girdle itself back (shoulder blades together)  Anchor around arm in same direction have strap pass over front top portion of shoulder pulling in an up and back motion forcing shoulder back a little.  This will mean you need more force to overcome brace though....with hammer it will work better then the other events.  This will work best for a right hammer thrower who has a bad left shoulder.

The problems I have seen is the placement of the straps can be hit or miss as the straps may slide...go to wall-mart or similar and get extra velcro.

Work the shoulder girdle and rotator cuff. As well as other areas. www.asmi.org/SportsMed/throwing/thrower10.html

Concentrate on scapular movement...the scapular moves well the shoulder functions well.

"A man has to know his limitations" - Detective Harold Callahan
old plaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old plaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/05 at 4:16am

many thanks for the response

sounds like i had it on pretty close to proper

i was scared to pull on the implements with any authority, until the judge read the tape

and then, embarrassed,  i started hauling on it, and still came up quite short of the usual

the shoulder held up, but was quite sore by the end of the day

i am seeing a sports therapist (HealthSouth) and doing all the goofy exercises, plus i started my hang power cleans and light squats this week

unfortunately, the left (good) shoulder now feels every bit as bad as the right (bad) did before the operation

but i refuse to go through that again

so pressing and benching is a joke, i have daughters who can do more than i can right now

in other words, power is not exactly my middle name

next year is, well, next year, we shall see

best regards to you

M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/05 at 7:40am
Baby steps Great One.n The victory is in the recovery.
Marbry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marbry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/05 at 11:48am

Yeah, yeah, you were still popping out some very respectable throws.  And your arm didn't even fall off or anything. 

I hurt my shoulders a few years back doing I believe flat benches.  I eliminated that for a while and now do very few with a barbell for some heavier sets.  I do a lot more now with dumbells and my shoulders feel great.

'They said they'd never seen that kind of power and endurance. My picture is still up above the buffet.'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic