Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/14 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

The forecast was for 22 at the time I made the call.  

If'n I knew you needed the info, I would have said:

-clear
-sunny
-wind and clouds late

Good call. Did you guess snow today? They said it would start snowing around 9am in Milwaukee and they were right. Of course it was already snowing at 8:57am in tosa when they said it, sooooo.

2/17

Squat:
Up to 12x3@73kg DE (Haven't done DE in years, this was fun.)

Press:
Up to 12x3@35kg (Knee finally feeling better. Yeah knee.)

mOAr shoveling. 

jp

You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/14 at 2:20pm
2/18

Throwing Day

40 degrees means outside we go.

Hammer: went good. Am feeling more of when I get out of sync and can stop it and fix. Most throws in low 60's which is off my PR of 70 but for the fist time releasing after so many drills, I'll take it! Feels so good to be outside I can't even stand it. I don't know if this ever will be a strong event for me but just being able to feel it makes me happy.

Open Stone: putting the release to all of the drills felt good. I think if I keep working the drills I'll see a pretty good improvement on this by the end of the year.

WOB: tossed twice. The second time went so far in the snowbank I literally had to dig and dig and then the handle was down so it took a while. That's enough for me.

If it's above 40 in Columbus next week I'm wearing a tank top. I saw one local jogging in shorts on my way home. It's been a long winterConfused

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/14 at 3:06pm
2/20

Deadlift (3 week)
Up to 1x6@110kg

Bench:
Up to 12x3@37kg

Shovel slush, ick.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/14 at 5:40pm
2/24

Modified training this week to prepare for season opener this upcoming weekend.

Squat:
Up to 5x3@78kg

Press:
Up to 5x3@38kg

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/14 at 2:14pm
2/25

Throwing Day

Went out and threw a few to work out a couple tweaks. The nice thing about it being so cold still (15 with some wind when I got out there) is that the snow is really hard and I don't have to worry about my shoes getting so wet when I retrieve the implements. So there's that. AND anything above 15 degrees next weekend will be considered toasty. Giddy up.

Thanks so much to Road Warrior for his last minute help after a disasterous throwing session Sunday. Throws are coming along, not as fast probably as I would've hoped but after looking at my numbers from last years opener, I'm doing just fine. Embarrassed

Nothing to do now but rest, eat well, enjoy some carbs this weekend and have a blast! 

jp

tosabarbell.com
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 12:23am
congrats on the womens masters win at the ArnoldClap
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 8:05am
All that hard off-season work paid off.  Well done!

Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 8:30am
Great job Juli
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 5:24pm
Thanks SO much guys! I appreciate it! Embarrassed

3/2
Arnold Classic (the numbers are already in the Database, thank you Rich and Brian!)

WOB: Cleared 11, 12, and 13 on first tries. 13 felt the best. This event was our first and in full on snow. Which is much better than full on rain by the way. I'm pleased with a solid start on this. I passed on going further.

Caber: This event is still an enigma to me but I got some great tips going forward. I really like it, I just need to practice more. A thousand thanks to Courtney, the fireball, McGuire for the use of her gloves for my second and third attempt. Bare hands became numb immediately after picking the log. **Also thank you to 'the other Brian' from GLSAA in taking time to explain the scoring of the event to me. It sounds as if there were questions from some on my score for my second attempt and my advice would be to direct them to Brian Huntley, he was the one who scored it. I was just trying to understand scoring in general. I received an 85 degrees and Canadian Josee Morneau (an AWESOME person) was the only one to turn it all three times as effortlessly as I brush my teeth. Amazing! I heard many of my fellow competitors say that this was the first time they've failed to turn a log. I said I'm used to not turning itConfused I better change that. I came in 2nd.

LWD: 56'5" for second place and I'll take it. It's off my PR of 58+ but in these conditions, that's ok. 

Open Stone: 29' for third place. I ran out of room on my second attempt and my third attempt felt magical and the stone flew..and so did I. Right on my arse out of the trig after slipping. I know I'm on the right track though so I won't sweat it. Lil Mendy confirmed a good throw (minus the foul) by saying, "I'm not gonna lie, she flew." Damn.

Light Hammer: 68'4.5" for 4th place. That hurt. I had an amazing first throw...again until I wiped out in front of the trig. But the timing was nice and the speed was there and it flew. Again, disappointed but I believe I'm on the right track for further improvements. 

1st place overall. Giddy up. My goal for this weekend was to place in top three for each event and let the chips fall where they may. I was incredibly disappointed in the hammer result but such is life. Josee had a rough outing on the WOB (uhhhh, she's a four time Arm wrestling world champion and competed at the Arnold so on a normal day she'd get me) which helped me place just above her and get the win.

It was an amazing experience and for once I was thankful for the cold winter that made Sunday's conditions tolerable for me. The entire throwing class was supportive and tons of fun. If I were to give one complaint, it's that I didn't get to shake David Webster's hand. Poor me. heh.

Thank you SO much Rich McClain and Brian Huntley for this experience. It goes down as one of the tops for this 'ol gal. It was wonderful meeting so many people I see posting here and was especially entertained by Rob and Jeff and the stories of when Rob and Matt used to compete together on the Strongman circuit. 

Home now and will be back in the gym tomorrow. Back to work.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/04/14 at 1:29pm
3/4

Squat:
Up to 8x2@84 (I was just going to wing this and see how it felt but I feel pretty good today, still powered by weekend carbs and I can stay explosive at this lighter weight so did all 8.)

Press:
Up to 8x2@41

Conditioning: more shoveling, like it ever gets old?

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/14 at 6:35pm
3/5

Throwing Day

We brought the 12# Sheaf, heavy hammer and Matt's 56# weight to the park for practice but it was a cold 18 degrees so focused on sheaf only while he WOB'd a bit. 

Felt good. Good pop off the ground, I don't like the pre-swingie stuff. Haven't touched this since Kirksville last Oct so it was good to work on it again. Need to do better at the Shammies in a couple of weeks than I did last year. Overall felt good...or that could have been the Founder's Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale...hard to tell.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 12:07pm
3/6

Deadlift-1 week (I had switched weeks around to avoid being fatigued going into the competition last week)
Up to 1x1+@115 (3)

Bench:
Up to 8x2@44

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/14 at 2:09pm
3/8

*The back was pretty tight and sore yesterday from Thursday's deadlifts. More so than should be, could be I wasn't as recovered from Sunday as I'd thought. Wanted to get some blood flowing today and feel a bit springy but kept things very light.

Power Snatch: Up to 8@45kg

Power Clean: Up to 8@55

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/14 at 11:13am
3/10

Throwing Day

51 and Sunny. Giddy UP! Cool

LWD: Slowed down and worked the second turn and release. Had some decent throws. My goal for the early part of this season is to break the 60' mark and see what I need to do to get to the next step.

HWD: (28#) Hadn't thrown this in I have no idea how long. Felt okay! I need to remember to keep my shoulders square and will work on getting a harder push into the release. Overall not bad, didn't fall on my arse or anything so there's that. I hit 36' on this at the Bonfire and Bagpipes last year so would like to repeat that and see how to get to the next step on this also.

LH: Thanks to Larry Ventress' photos from The Arnold, I saw my hammer release is WAY too late (ball is low even left of my left foot.) So really just worked a lot of spin and earlier release. It's coming. Lots of work to do on this. Lots.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:32am
3/11

Squat:
Up to 6x1@90kg

Press:
Up to 6x1@45

jp

tosabarbell.com
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/11/14 at 11:09am
NICE work Juli!  By the way your 28 is better then Detroit Petes... I checked...LOL Wink
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/11/14 at 11:34am
Originally posted by bigirish01 bigirish01 wrote:

NICE work Juli!  By the way your 28 is better then Detroit Petes... I checked...LOL Wink

Thanks Big Daddy!! and heeeheeee, trouble makerWink

Always much aloha your way.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 11:56am
3/13

Getting my BB on YO!

Warm up: banded rotator cuff exercises and stretches

Bent over DB rows: 1x10 wu@30#, 20x10@35#
Upright DB row: 3x10@25
Straight arm pullover: 3x10@15 (I think)
Straight arm pulldown: 1x10@20 wu and 3x10@40

Ab work: planks and partial sits and leg things that I'm thinking will make the abs burn a bit tomorrow.

*I'm switching things up with my training. I'll be working with a very strong, local ProBB to work a bit hypertrophy while staying strong; work my diet a bit to lean out some; and just overall get more athletic (read: springy.) I'll train with him 1-2 days a week for now, do a session at home and throw/drills 2x a week for at least a month or so and then add a day of throwing and take out a gym day after that. We'll see how that works.

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 1:27pm
I likes it.  
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 5:12pm

I likes it.  

Thanks Josh! I'm pretty excited. I'm really appreciative of Matt Vincent's Training Lab. It got me into the season strong, it worked. But I'm feeling so incredibly 'dense' so I need to switch things up and having the help of a different kind of Pro is something I'm thankful for. 

We'll see!

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/14 at 8:36am
Bodybuilding has really been kind of a revelation to me.  You need to be ABLE to do the quick lifts, squat well and pull a heavy deadlift.  Actually having to DO them?  Not so much.

There is a time for putting muscle on bone.  Time-under-tension is what is called for here.  Snatches and cleans aren't going to get you there unless you're training super frequently.  

...Josh
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/14 at 8:44am
Bodybuilding meow.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/14 at 11:44am
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Bodybuilding meow.

Dear guy,

Josh's arms are going to have to ask you you trim a few pages from your log.  You see, Josh's arms have become so expansive, Josh's arms are going to need the extra room.

Josh's arms thank you in advance,

Josh
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/14 at 6:38pm

Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Bodybuilding meow.

Dear guy,

Josh's arms are going to have to ask you you trim a few pages from your log.  You see, Josh's arms have become so expansive, Josh's arms are going to need the extra room.

Josh's arms thank you in advance,

Josh

What you gon'do with all those gunz?
All those gunz inside your bunz?
I'ma get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my gunz.
My gunz, my gunz, my gunz, my gunz, my gunz
My gunz, my gunz, my gunz, my lovely little gunz (Check it out)...

Anyways.

Pi Day: Throwing 

Stones:
Braemar: 14# Uffda, out of practice on this one. I noticed all my stone throws were going far left. Late release? Advice?

Open: 11# Goes better when I relax. Some decent throws but I feel as if I've lost a little groove on this one.

Heavy Hammer: Felt pretty good. Had a few decent throws but it was so very muddy out thar in them fields that I shut it down pretty quick. 

Overall a decent session. Nothing outstanding but felt good to throw some stones again.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/14 at 11:58am
3/16

Games Week

Snatch & PClean & Jerk up to heavyish but not hard single.

SN: 55kg

CJ: 75kg

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/14 at 1:10pm
3/18

Beautiful, sunny throwing day. A lil bit of everything.

Warmed up with the 12# Sheaf. Felt good. We'll see this weekend when I actually have a target.

On everything else I did a little warm up including a warm up toss and 3 attempts each.

HWD: Rough day with the 28. Squared up my shoulders which helped but I wasn't waiting for the weight so it got twisted behind me. Patience.

LWD: Ok, again, paid attention to where the weight was more than usual. Hopefully that will help in the long run.

Braemar (14#): These were better than the other day. Felt good.

Open (11#...till it broke): A little better, I'll get back to doing one day of drills on these after the shammies. The drills have helped me a ton and I'm losing a bit of a good push by not doing them.

LHammer: Had some nice swings towards the end. Going to try to find time to get up to Minnesoooota and try to get a session in with Brian on this one. I feel like I'm getting closer on it but am still missing a critical key.

HHammer: struggled but felt better towards the end. 

WOB: Threw a few with 28# and seemed fine. Better pop on my third but we'll see this weekend. I'd really like to make 14' status quo so that's my goal. 

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/14 at 4:29pm
See you Saturday, chiquita.
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/14 at 7:50pm

See you Saturday, chiquita.

Fo RealZ?

Shweet!

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/19/14 at 8:23am
As real as I get.  
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/19/14 at 11:42am

As real as I get.  

Gym day:

Band warm up and stretch

Rows: many of them. Four kinds in all at least 1x10 on each arm each set. Sooooo many rows.

Straight up pulldown 3x10@50
Straight up shrug 4x10@ 30, 40, 50, 70

Another pull down thingy 3x10@50 or so.

Planks

So much BB. And it's snowing again. So. Yuck.

jp

tosabarbell.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
  Share Topic