Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Joel Peer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Joel Peer
    Posted: 12/27/11 at 4:42am

Welcome to my log!

My name is Joel Peer and this is my mediocre attempt at logging my gym and field excursions. First and foremost I should give some background info.

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 194

-GYM-

Front Squat- 245lbs

Push Press- 185lbs

Dead lift- 325lbs

Power Clean- 185lbs

-FIELD-

BS- 25'3"

OS- 31'4"

LWFD- 44'6"

HWFD- 18'

Light Hammer- 64'9"

Heavy Hammer- ?

WFH - ?

So I haven't lifted or thrown anything since early Nov. because of a faulty appendix, so we'll see what I do now. It should be exciting and possibly funny. I have yet to actually to compete in any games so all these throws are practice. Before August of this year I have never thrown anything other than typical sports objects (football, baseball) and occasional tape balls into the trash can. I wrestled and played baseball in High School and that’s it. So here is my log which will start tomorrow.

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"~George Washington
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/11 at 4:47am
Good stuff man!  Bring it on down to North Texas in February and we'll get you sorted out...thinking there might even be a clinic.

Solid start.  Decide how good you want to be.
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/11 at 4:48am
Thumbs Up
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/11 at 4:22am
Ok, first day back in the gym after 8 weeks off. Not to shabby but will be sore tomorrow. But it's a good sore. I took it easy so as to feel out my battle scars and weak muscles.

-Front Squat-
 warm up: 2 sets of 6 w/ 95lbs.
 2x6 w/ 135lbs
  -Barbell Rows-
2x8 w/ 95lbs.
  -Push Press-
2x8 w/ 95lbs
  -Dead lifts-
2x6 w/ 155lbs.
  -DB Shrugs-
2x8 w/ 65lbs.
  -Core-
Medicine ball throws

Pretty good start for me. I will finish up this week and all of next week with this workout to get back into the swing of things. I might add weight next week, not sure yet.

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"~George Washington
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/11 at 3:25pm
 Such a nice day I had to go see how much I lost on my distances.

BS - average 23'7"
LWFD - average 38'
LH - average 60'

So I lost some distance but it is workable. I should be back in no time. Not to mention that my legs have been screaming at me all day long. Next time I am gonna try and video some and will post them.
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/11 at 1:39pm
Rough day!  My muscles didn't want to work.

-Pre-workout-
 2 scoops of C4, I love this stuff
 -Warmup-
3 min. of Treadmill to get blood pumpin'
 -Front Squat-
2x6 w/ 95lbs
2x6 w/ 135lbs
 -Barbell Rows-
2x8 w/ 95lbs.
 -Push Press-
2x8 w/ 95lbs
 -Dead Lift-
2x6 w/155lbs
 -DB Shrugs-
2x8 w/ 65lbs
 -Core-
medicine ball throws
-minute rests between sets-
Pretty good workout. I was still pretty sore from Wednesday's workout and throws on Thursday, but still a good workout. I thought about uppin' the weight for deads but when I got there I decided not to push it yet.

big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/01/12 at 11:12am
Threw O Stone and light hammer this afternoon. I am kinda excited because I was throwing about were I left off 8 weeks ago. I videoed my session and I must say, this is the first time viewing myself throw and I have a lot to work on. I mean a lot.

I am in the process of putting it all together and I will post tonight or tomorrow.

big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/01/12 at 1:26pm
Ok, so I have studied my own videos for about 2 hours and I have a sheet of papers worth of things I need to work on. But feel free to put in your advise and critiques cause I need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VC1coBH86g
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/12 at 12:32am

Yesterday was such a nice day, went and threw again.

Averaged about the same as Sunday, broke my hammer, and pr'd in O Stone by mere inches, 31'7".

Also gave LWFD some practice and averaged 40'. By far not my best, but slowly gettin back to where I left off.

gonna go to the lumber store this weekend and buy some 2x16x?, haven't decided yet, and make me a caber. This should be fun.

big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/12 at 4:45am

Hit the gym today. Added a little more weight.

Felt pretty good, but really tired now!

-Pre-workout-
 2 scoops of C4
 -Warmup-
Front Squat 2x6 w/ 95lbs
 -Front Squat-
2x6 w/ 155lbs
 -Barbell Rows-
2x8 w/ 115lbs
 -Push Press-
2x8 w/ 115lbs
 -Dead Lift-
2x6 w/185lbs
 -DB Shrugs-
2x8 w/ 70lbs
 -Core-
medicine ball throws
-minute rests between sets-

big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/12 at 11:20am
Did some hammer work tonight. I lightened up hammer to about 11 pounds to practice my form.

Felt pretty good averaged around 91' with a long of 96'

gym tomorrow and more throws on Sat.
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/12 at 4:41am

Good day at the gym

-Pre-workout-
 2 scoops of C4
 -Warmup-
Front Squat 2x5 w/ 95lbs
 -Front Squat-
2x6 w/ 155lbs
 -Barbell Rows-
2x8 w/ 115lbs
 -Push Press-
2x8 w/ 115lbs
 -Dead Lift-
2x6 w/185lbs
 -DB Shrugs-
2x8 w/ 70lbs
 -Core-
medicine ball throws

Ready to go heavy again next week.
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/07/12 at 11:34am
I thought it is January? 66 degrees today, so I went to throw.....in shorts, YES!

Watched a lot of Matt Vincent videos and then went to the park all fired up.

numbers time:
13#hammer: averaged 77', long 80'
LWFD: averaged 40', long 41'6"
O Stone: averaged 30', long 31'6" PR
Braemar: averaged 23', long 24'4"

So all in all had a good day. I reweighed my hammer before adding weight and it actually was at 8 pounds. So I threw in the 90's with an 8 pound hammer. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, man that's not good. But gettin' better every time I go out.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/07/12 at 11:46am
Pur,

Embrace the power of the beard.  Dude, saw your video.  NOT BAD!!!  Really...there are a bunch of good things happening there.  Totally would have kicked my a$$ the first time I threw.

Keep working it.  We'll get you there!

Moar vids!

Duncs
The man in the arena.
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/08/12 at 2:44am
Right on man, lettin the beard go for a while.

Can't wait for NTKG, hopefully I should be back were I left off by then.

Little side note, my new O Stone PR is 31'10", not 31' 6". Don't really know why I put 6 on there yesterday.
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/09/12 at 4:32am
1/9

-Pre-workout-
2 scoops of C4 
-Front Squat-
1X6X135
1X5X135
1X4X155
1X3X175
2X2X185

Weighted Lunges- 45lbs
Wrist curls- 45 lbs
Med Ball throws 12lb ball

-Pretty good workout. I good have gone heavier on the squats but didn't want to push to hard to fast. Besides, wasn't trying to find max anyway.

big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/12 at 5:05am
1/11/2012

Hit the shoulders today.

-Pre-workout-
2 scoops of C4
-Push Press-
2x8x95lbs
1x5x115lbs
1x4x135lbs
1x3x145lbs
3x2x155lbs
-Hanging Clean-
3x5x115lbs
-Core-
Med Ball Throws 12lbs

All lifts were not to hard. I felt froggy so I added a 3rd set with 155.
Gonna add some weight next week for sho.

big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/12/12 at 1:14pm
Today was the day that everything just felt wrong.

It was so freakin cold and the wind was blowin 90 miles an hour. I tryed to throw some hammer and LWFD, but everything seemed to fall so short. It was just a bad day.

I finally got my kilt today too, but it is a little long. I guess thats better than being short, hahhaha.

Gonna hit the gym tomorrow with some deads and tear it up.
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/12 at 4:33am

1/13/2012

DEAD LIFT DAY!!!!    I Love me some dead lifts.

-Pre-Workout-
2 scoops of C4
-Dead Lifts-
1x6x135lbs warmup
1x5x155lbs
1x4x185lbs
1x3x225lbs
2x2x275lbs
-Single leg deads-
1x5x50lbs each leg
-Curls-
1x8x50lbs

Good lifts today, for me at least.
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/12 at 9:52am
Windy day for throws, but I needed to go out. Average day I guess. Didn't get to throw my hammer cause I broke it on the first throw.LOL

Ostone - average 31'5", long 31'10" woohoo
Braemar - average 24'1", long 24'3"
LWFD - average 39', long 39'Disapprove

Yeah, I'm going a little crazy on the emoticons

I don't know what my deal is, I can't seem to get goin' on my LWFD. Frustrating, not to mention I broke the chain on my home made jobby, so now I can't practice hammer or LWFD until I get em fixed.
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/16/12 at 7:49am
1/16/2012

-Pre-workout-
2 scoops of C4
-Front Squat-
2x6x95lbs warmup!
1x5x135lbs
1x4x165lbs
1x3x175lbs
2x2x185lbs
1x2x205lbs

wrist curls - 65lbs
squat splits - 50 lbs

Pretty good day, last set of squats was righteous, felt pumped and hit it!
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/16/12 at 3:16pm
Today was another b-e-a-utiful day and I went to the park for some fun.

Even though I obliterated my legs at the gym today, threw some LWFD (I fixed it).

Average - 40', long - 41'10"!

I am excited, longest throw since surgery, have video that I will post tomorrow. 
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/17/12 at 9:22am
Yesterday's field excursion

http://youtu.be/Ok_GxOZIJ9I
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/12 at 4:16am
1/18/2012

-Push Press-
2x8x45lbs warmup!
1x5x115lbs
1x4x135lbs
1x3x155lbs
3x2x165lbs
-Hanging Clean-
3x5x115lbs
-Shrugs-
2x8x150lbs
-Core-
Med ball throws

Good workout today! No problems.

big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/12 at 11:37am
Threw at the park today.

Ostone- average: 31'4", long 32'9" PR

Yeah baby, I videoed it and honestly have no idea why I threw well. I still have to keep my right foot turning and I am still throwing at about a 60 to 70 degree angle up! So I think if I bring it down and get that right foot turning, I will be happy. Then I need to work on the hips and shoulders. One thing at a time right.
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/12 at 4:19am
1/20/2012

-Dead lifts-
2x6x135lbs warmup!
1x5x185lbs
1x4x225lbs
1x3x275lbs
2x2x295lbs
-Barbell Rows-
3x8x115lbs   gonna ad weight next time, too easy
-Overhead Squats (form)-
3x5xbar dang those thangs are hard.
-Snatch (form)-
2x5xbar
-Core-
Med ball throws

big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/12 at 12:33pm
Trip to hardware store today and picked up a few items. Needed a better WFD system and don't have the money until tax return to buy good stuff. So I spent 20 bucks and created  my implement. I only have about 20lbs in weights, so another trip to the second hand store and I should be good to go.

big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/23/12 at 5:19am
1/23/2012

Speed and expolsive lifts, with light weight of course.  

-Warmup-
2 scoops of C4
5 min run on treadmill
stretches
-Power Clean-
3x5x45lbs
3x8x115lbs
-Hanging Snatch-
3x5x45lbs
2x8x85lbs
1x8x65lbs
-Overhead Squat-
3x5x45lbs
3x5x65lbs
-Core-
Med Ball Throws

WOW, not a heavy day, but a hard day and I thought i was pretty strong,  HAHAHHAHA

Edited by big pur - 1/23/12 at 5:26am
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/23/12 at 11:47am
LWFD with my new contraption. Btw, with 5x5lb plates, total weight is 29lbs 2 ounces.

5 one spinners (27',27',32',32',31')
5 two spinners (42',42',41',42',38')

Braemar: 10 throws (21',22',23',24' seriously,24',25',22',23',23',24')

Good throws but my hand is tore up.
big pur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/12 at 4:29am
No gym today, instead went to go throw in the mudLOL

I know now that I am going to bring some cleats with me when I throw.

LWFD: lighted the load to 20lbs to work on form and foot placements.
            average 51', long 54' fell twice
OStone: Used a 10lb stone, again to work of form and foot placements.
              average 41' long 43' fell once

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic